Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Looking at the pitching depth, I'm excited for this off season.

Re: Looking at the pitching depth, I'm excited for this off season.

PostPost #16 by LA Detective » October 17th, 2012, 11:47 am

I could be wrong but I thought we had an option for Ayala at a very low price? 1mil? Again, i could be wrong.

If this is true I would consider bringing him back..Depth in the BP can be huge...I also believe he was maybe the most effected by the keeping of KGregg...Ayala, ODay and Strop took on alot of innings going into June and July becuase we could never pitch Gregg or we didnt have a long man. This was even more compounded by the abnormal extra innings we played. I think Ayala's ability is closer to what we saw in the first half.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #17 by ofahn » October 17th, 2012, 12:06 pm

LA Detective wrote:I could be wrong but I thought we had an option for Ayala at a very low price? 1mil?

You're right, and I missed it. It's for 1M with a 100K buyout. That option would seem to make him a trade candidate. If we got a fringe prospect it would be better than just releasing him and we would save the 100K. We could offer to pay most of his salary and get back a better prospect.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #18 by ofahn » October 17th, 2012, 12:07 pm

LA Detective wrote:If this is true I would consider bringing him back..Depth in the BP can be huge...I also believe he was maybe the most effected by the keeping of KGregg...Ayala, ODay and Strop took on alot of innings going into June and July becuase we could never pitch Gregg or we didnt have a long man. This was even more compounded by the abnormal extra innings we played. I think Ayala's ability is closer to what we saw in the first half.

His first half numbers for inherited runners were not much better than his second half numbers. A few years ago I would have been happy to have him back, but we have so much better talent to choose from now.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #19 by MikeNewcomb92 » October 18th, 2012, 6:24 pm

Matt P wrote:Starters
Jason Hammel
Wei-Yin Chen
Miguel Gonzalez
Chris Tillman
Zach Britton
Brian Matusz
Jake Arrieta
Tommy Hunter
Steve Johnson
Dylan Bundy
Kevin Gausman
Tsuyoshi Wada

The last 3 may or may not be ready for the start of the 2013 season but they figure to be ready at some point during the season. By my count, that's 12 starting pitchers that are under contract for next year as of today and 7 of them will all be competing for one spot in the rotation. Of course some will disappoint and some will get injured but 12 seems like a lot of pitchers before free agency starts. They should have a AAA rotation this season that is better than some of the recent Orioles rotations.

The other thing is we all found out how much Duquette loves depth. You have to figure there is going to be a few minor league free agent signings as well as a trade or two for some more pitching depth (like Eveland last year). With a few signings and trades they could have 10+ pitchers competing for one rotation spot.

Then, you take a look at the bullpen and realize there is a lot of depth there as well. They already have Johnson, Strop, O'Day, Ayala, and Patton for next year. That leaves two open spots as of today and you figure one will be a lefty and the other a long reliever (although, they went most of last year without a 2nd lefty or a long reliever so who knows). If they trade one of their relievers they can just plug in a guy who doesn't make the rotation. Pomeranz is going to be ready for Spring Training and he looked great last year. It's also another area where Duquette and his scouts have shown to have a great eye for talent (Gonzalez, Pomeranz, Neshek, Socolovich, Villareal, and others were all brought in as minor league relievers before the season).

I keep looking at it and thinking of all the trade possibilities. Whether they can pull off a trade for a #1 starter or middle of the order hitter remains to be seen. Trading to improve in areas of weakness last season (OBP, 2B, etc.) should be a guarantee.

Couldn't agree More this is a great write up and I feel that the competition for this 1 rotation spot is going to make a good impact on the pitcher competing for it. Competition is great for a team, and we haven't had REAL competition in our rotation in a long time. I feel really good about a rotation with Hammel, Bundy,and Gausman in it, If they can live up to the expectation that we all have for them we have a rotation that will be able to get us to the World Series.
MikeNewcomb92
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 2

PostPost #20 by rudyrooster » October 19th, 2012, 12:06 am

I'm excited about the future of our pitching staff. I think some of our young arms are finally starting to grasp the idea of what it takes to pitch successfully in the big leagues. Matusz had a different look in his eyes coming out of the bullpen, Hunter wasn't holding back anything and he was blowing batters away. If those two guys need to remain in the bullpen in order to have success then so be it I say. When Bundy (Dylan) arrives at the Major League level, we all know that he has the "stuff" to be a dominating presence (may not be until late 2013 at earliest). I say watch out for the following 2 pitchers: Chris Tillman and Steve Johnson. It appears Tillman has finally figured it out...that is how to PITCH. After being called up from Norfolk he made 15 starts and went 9-3 with an ERA of 2.93. His raw physical talent has never been in question. He's still (by MLB standards) just a kid at age 24 and it seems he's starting to figure out the mental aspect of pitching. There were times during that second half of the season when he looked totally in control of the game on the mound. As for Johnson, what he may lack in raw physical prowess he seems to make up for it in a cerebral-type understanding of "how to pitch". Not surprising really when you consider his baseball pedigree. I think he was the most pleasant surprise of all the pitchers that toe'd the rubber for the Birds this season. Don't overlook this kid!!! Yep, as a lifelong O's fan I can truly say that I am more optimistic about our pitching staff than I have been in many a year. This time, I feel we aren't chasing "fools gold"...
rudyrooster
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #21 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 19th, 2012, 12:45 am

rudyrooster wrote:I'm excited about the future of our pitching staff. I think some of our young arms are finally starting to grasp the idea of what it takes to pitch successfully in the big leagues. Matusz had a different look in his eyes coming out of the bullpen, Hunter wasn't holding back anything and he was blowing batters away. If those two guys need to remain in the bullpen in order to have success then so be it I say.

I think it's clear Hunter belongs in the 'pen. His success has more to do with velocity. In Matusz's case it was more that his stuff just looked more crisp and he looked more confident. I would like Hunter in the 'pen but Matusz needs another chance to start.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles