Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Is Pedro Strop out as the setup man?

Re: Is Pedro Strop out as the setup man?

PostPost #16 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 2nd, 2012, 9:03 pm

R.martinez05 wrote:NO!!! lol you gotta be kidding me man that shouldnt even be considered... O'Day has been getting the job done... Yes he's on the playoff roster for sure... Besides Hunter/ Johnson no one has an arm like Strop. When he is on... HE IS ON. Strop is just tired. And this is his 1st full major league season. Everyone goes through slumps.

I do believe he will be on the playoff roster. I'm just saying that if he struggles in a playoff game it would not be surprising to see him replaced. Would you want Strop pitching in the playoffs right now?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #17 by Matt P » October 2nd, 2012, 10:37 pm

R.martinez05 wrote:
Yeah Strop is in a little Slump. Other pitchers are doing better. But NO PLAYOFF ROSTER? Lets us an example so lets say J.J hardy was in a slump right now and Andino wasnt... Drop Hardy for the playoffs and let Andino Start? Somebody that got you there? you just cant drop them

Hardy wouldn't be dropped because his defense is his biggest asset. Strop doesn't have anything like that to fall back on. I'm sure he'll be on it because Buck is usually very loyal to his players (look at Lee and Vlad last year) but I'm not sure that I would have him on it.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #18 by R.martinez05 » October 3rd, 2012, 8:57 am

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I do believe he will be on the playoff roster. I'm just saying that if he struggles in a playoff game it would not be surprising to see him replaced. Would you want Strop pitching in the playoffs right now?

You cant replace an arm like Strop. Besides O'Day , Hunter and or Johnson There isnt another man i want to see in the 8th... Lets go back a little bit... Aug22 Josh Hamilton man on 2nd and 3rd who struck him out? STROP No other person besides johnson would have gotten him... Who else would you have wanted to pitch? O'Day lets not forget about that time Hamilton hit 4bombs in B-more one of O'Day (Luis Ayala) (Brian Matusz) those 2 guys wouldnt have gotten the job done either and you guys know it. What I am trying to say is you need a power arm in the back of any pen to be successful.. Strop is one of those arms. He gets the big outs when we need them most. He's gonna pitch tonight get the job and have his swagger back
R.martinez05
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

PostPost #19 by R.martinez05 » October 3rd, 2012, 9:05 am

Matt P wrote:Hardy wouldn't be dropped because his defense is his biggest asset. Strop doesn't have anything like that to fall back on. I'm sure he'll be on it because Buck is usually very loyal to his players (look at Lee and Vlad last year) but I'm not sure that I would have him on it.

Hardy was an example that wasnt serious at all. What I meant by Hardy is you cant drop one of the people that got there just because they are in a little slump.. Stop has struggled his last few appearances but he is going to be back on it... Lets not forgot about the slump hardy was in all summer he played through it.. Strop is going to play through it... And your incorrect Strop has that 96-98mph faster ball with MOVEMENT.. No one on that O's Bullpen throws as hard.
R.martinez05
DSL Orioles

PostPost #20 by ofahn » October 3rd, 2012, 10:20 am

R.martinez05

I can respect your dedication and enthusiasm for an important part of the Orioles' success this year, but I wonder how objective you're being about Pedro. Something is clearly off about him right now and it has caused him to be ineffective. It might be the fact that he's a fairly recent convert to pitching and hasn't built the endurance necessary to pitch to his ability over an entire season. If that's the case then asking him to contribute more innings to this season would actually make the situation worse, not better.

Maybe the best thing to do is leave him off of the wildcard game and first round playoff rosters so that he can build his legs up and be prepared for the ALCS if we get that far. I think he would have a much better chance of being an effective contributor at that point. This would also be a good way to spend his off season so that he's ready to put in a full season next year.

IMO he is not one of our best five relievers AT THIS POINT and should not be on the roster.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #21 by LA Detective » October 3rd, 2012, 1:43 pm

The first 100 games of the year he would of got alot of votes for MVO...HE was one of the biggest reason we were even in a place for a shot for the playoffs. But he was leading the bullpen in innings pitched by far thru the first part of the season...At one point in late May he was on pace for 110ip (see part of the Gregg complaints). Buck did an awesome job getting him down to a reasonable spot. But did the backing off cause him to lose his command? At first I thought so but he has had spots where he pitched enough lately and is still off. Is it from being overworked early? Unknown, but he clearly is struggling and Buck has really tried putting him in spots to get him right. ..We are far a better team with Strop pitching in that important spot in the late innings but he just isnt getting it done now.. Hunter and Matusz and ODay have stepped in front of him...In most situations even Patton and Ayala. He is a "close the door" tpye of reliever that ends rallys and is so huge in the playoffs. I really wish he was on top of his game but he isnt. I think he will be on it unless Buck decides he wants a 2nd long man in the BP..
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #22 by Matt P » October 3rd, 2012, 2:32 pm

R.martinez05 wrote:

Hardy was an example that wasnt serious at all. What I meant by Hardy is you cant drop one of the people that got there just because they are in a little slump.. Stop has struggled his last few appearances but he is going to be back on it... Lets not forgot about the slump hardy was in all summer he played through it.. Strop is going to play through it... And your incorrect Strop has that 96-98mph faster ball with MOVEMENT.. No one on that O's Bullpen throws as hard.

He's struggled his last few appearances? He's struggled for over a month now.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #23 by birdwatcher55 » October 3rd, 2012, 2:54 pm

My prediction: Strop gets left off playoff roster 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #24 by R.martinez05 » October 3rd, 2012, 3:49 pm

All we could do really is wait. Strop will be pitching tonight.
R.martinez05
DSL Orioles

PostPost #25 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 3rd, 2012, 4:24 pm

R.martinez05 wrote:All we could do really is wait. Strop will be pitching tonight.

If it's a close game, I doubt he will.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #26 by LA Detective » October 4th, 2012, 5:33 pm

Im sure he will be on the WC and probably the Div series...Its all about the pen against Tex..We know it will be Saunders, JJ, Oday,Hunter,Ayala, Matusz,Patton and I believe Strop..Thats 8...Will Buck go with a 5 man bench? Q,Xavier,3rd catcher, Peirce?...If he needs 2 more it will probably be Hammel and Johnson if healthy, Gonzo could go 1 good inning, Chen only if a lefty matchup, Phillips probably not, Arrieta hasnt pitched well enough, Tilman off. There will be a starter in case needed in the first 3 or needed for 4 or 5 innings in extended extra innings..

For me I go with a 4 man bench..Mostly cuz I hate running for Davis and Weiters in a close game and then it goes extra...I would go with Hammel, Gonzo, and Johnson added to the 8..Saunders seems like a real gamer and you know Buck will have a great game plan...get us a solid 5 in a 5-4 oriole win...
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #27 by ofahn » October 9th, 2012, 12:24 pm

Let's hope we can make tonight's game a blow out as soon as possible (for SO many reasons). It would be good to get Strop into a game again without putting it at risk.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles