Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Chris Davis

Chris Davis

PostPost #1 by Matt P » September 30th, 2012, 10:12 pm

.272/.328/.496 for a .825 OPS with 31 HR, 20 doubles, 82 RBI, 73 runs scored, and two steals!

This guy has quietly been one of the biggest surprises in all of baseball. Jones, Johnson, Wieters, and Machado get most of the press (and rightfully so) but I'm not sure Chris Davis isn't as big a key as all of them to this teams success.

I was wrong when I said they should trade everyone except for Jones, Wieters, and Davis (amongst hitters on the 25 man before the season) but I do think this season shows I was right to want to hold onto Davis.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Re: Chris Davis

PostPost #2 by STrone03 » September 30th, 2012, 11:16 pm

I really don't think he is just over achieving either. He just looks comfortable at the plate, and it helps when you can hit the ball a mile.
STrone03
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

PostPost #3 by birdwatcher55 » October 1st, 2012, 11:45 am

With more plate discipline, he could put up monster numbers. His bat is electric at times 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 2nd, 2012, 12:25 am

118+ wRC+ this year. Not bad at all.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #5 by Matt P » October 2nd, 2012, 8:12 pm

6 straight games with a HR :o

33 HR for the season :o
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by Old Sneakers » October 3rd, 2012, 5:01 am

He's had a great year. This was another great pickup for the club. Can it be duplicated? I don't know, but the guy deserves some credit on a fine season at the plate.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #7 by birdwatcher55 » October 3rd, 2012, 6:09 am

Another great move by MacPhail. You have to think his stock is rising for a comeback somewhere 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by ofahn » October 3rd, 2012, 10:24 am

Old Sneakers wrote:He's had a great year. This was another great pickup for the club. Can it be duplicated? I don't know, but the guy deserves some credit on a fine season at the plate.

I actually believe he can improve on it IF he's willing to lay off the low inside pitches. He COULD be Adam Dunn with a higher AVG.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #9 by Matt P » October 8th, 2012, 11:09 pm

Deputy coming through two games in a row at the plate. He had a great catch in the corner last night in RF and had a great throw to get Teixeira out at 2B as he tried to extend a single into a double. Had one bad play diving for a ball he had no chance at which allowed Nunez get to 2B and cost the O's a run though.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by STrone03 » October 8th, 2012, 11:13 pm

He looks like he should be our 3rd hitter in the lineup. I loved seeing him there tonight.

ON TO NEW YORRRRRK!
STrone03
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

PostPost #11 by ofahn » October 9th, 2012, 12:01 pm

Chris Davis COULD be an all star IF he would learn to ignore the pitches on the inside lower half of the plate. If a pitcher can throw three perfect pitches there then he deserves to get Davis out, but Chris can't handle them there so swinging at them just helps the pitcher. Lay off of those pitches and he'll see more in his "happy place" and THEN you're looking at a guy that will threaten to hit 50 HRs every year.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by birdwatcher55 » October 9th, 2012, 12:04 pm

ofahn wrote:Chris Davis COULD be an all star IF he would learn to ignore the pitches on the inside lower half of the plate. If a pitcher can throw three perfect pitches there then he deserves to get Davis out, but Chris can't handle them there so swinging at them just helps the pitcher. Lay off of those pitches and he'll see more in his "happy place" and THEN you're looking at a guy that will threaten to hit 50 HRs every year.

I agree totally. He's 50 HRs waiting to happen in that ballpark. It's all up to him 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by Matt P » October 9th, 2012, 1:30 pm

ofahn wrote:Chris Davis COULD be an all star IF he would learn to ignore the pitches on the inside lower half of the plate. If a pitcher can throw three perfect pitches there then he deserves to get Davis out, but Chris can't handle them there so swinging at them just helps the pitcher. Lay off of those pitches and he'll see more in his "happy place" and THEN you're looking at a guy that will threaten to hit 50 HRs every year.

Most players in any sport have an "if" attached to them. Jones could be one of the best players in the game if he would learn to ignore the pitches down and away in the dirt. Sometimes, you just have to realize that a player is as good as a player is.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by ofahn » October 9th, 2012, 2:02 pm

Matt P wrote:
Most players in any sport have an "if" attached to them. Jones could be one of the best players in the game if he would learn to ignore the pitches down and away in the dirt. Sometimes, you just have to realize that a player is as good as a player is.

You could accept that, or you could ask them to go to the next level. For this team to become a consistent winner at least two Davis, Wieters, Jones, and Reynolds WILL HAVE TO take that next step.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by Matt P » October 9th, 2012, 2:37 pm

ofahn wrote:
You could accept that, or you could ask them to go to the next level. For this team to become a consistent winner at least two Davis, Wieters, Jones, and Reynolds WILL HAVE TO take that next step.

How can you be so certain there is a next step for them? It is very possible that Davis and Jones reached their peaks this year.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles