Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Remaining 1B options

Remaining 1B options

PostPost #1 by DougDE » December 11th, 2010, 10:51 am

The options for a new first basemen have certainly dwindled. I would like to see them bring LaRoche in for 2 or 3 years. I vote no for Derrek Lee. I think the chance that nothing is left in the tank is too great. If we dont land LaRoche I could live with Scott being the full timer and bringing in Vladdy to DH
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Re: Remaining 1B options

PostPost #2 by Esskay » December 11th, 2010, 3:27 pm

I see a variety of remaining 1B options:

1) Sign Derek Lee or Adam LaRoche. I'd be fine with either of them as long as the contract is for no more than one year (maybe with an option). This is the simplest; it also leaves open the possibility of going after Pujols, Fielder, or Gonzalez (if he doesn't extend) next offseason.

2) Sign a DH and play Scott at 1B. Also, as long as it's a cheap one-year deal for Ordonez, Thome, Vlad, etc, seems fine to me.

3) Play Scott at 1B and do nothing else. We'd be playing someone like Reimold as our primary DH. I like this less than the preceding two options, but I wouldn't be devastated.

4) Trade for a low-cost, blocked minor leaguer. Mark Hamilton from the Cardinals is my choice, but there are plenty of Rhyne Hughes-esque 25 year olds at AAA who might be able to play a decent 1B.

5) Trade for Mike Napoli. This is my personal favorite. Napoli does not seem to be popular with the Angels, who don't like his defense as a catcher. We could use him as a better, younger, cheaper Victor Martinez - plays 1B for 100 games, plays C on Weiters' off days (say 40 games), DHs the rest of the time. He hits lefties very well. The downside of course is the cost in trade. I haven't been able to get a handle on what the Angels might want: would a deal based around (Pie or Reimold) and Bell work? Maybe Pie, Bell, Vandenhurk, and Wynn Pelzer?

Edit: Another possibility would be Jeremy Guthrie for Mike Napoli. I'm not real enthusiastic (I'd prefer to keep Guthrie as a rotation stabilizer and trade spare parts for Napoli if possible), but they're very similar in value. Both FAs after 2012, both have similar costs. Could work.
Last edited by Esskay on December 11th, 2010, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Esskay
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #3 by Shorebirdfan » December 11th, 2010, 3:33 pm

I agree with Doug. I would prefer to see LaRoche signed as a first choice. If we have to go with Luke at 1B then I would like to see them add either Vlady Or Maglio.

At that point, we just need to tackle the pen.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #4 by ljmillar22 » December 14th, 2010, 12:43 pm

Hello all, im from england and have been following the Orioles the last 2 years. would like to know what people think of Joseph Mahoney and whether he is ready for the big leagues or if we need to let him sit in the minors for another year or 2?
ljmillar22
DSL Orioles

PostPost #5 by Don » December 15th, 2010, 3:54 pm

First off I am pulling for Mahoney and think his combination of late blooming and raw country power make for an a guy who oozes potential.

He will one day see the majors, whether it is for a cup of coffee or long term success as an everyday first baseman will largely depend on his advance devlopment this coming season.

I am not sold on him being a everyday player at this point. He has some holes in his approach that he will need to clean up. His bat swing needs to tighten up a bit more as he still turns over on off speed pitches. I fear that his strike zone judgement and ability to see/recongnize off speed will be the key factor in his growth.

Still, this guy has developed the raw power at the plate and you have to see the progression in higher ranks as a sign that the power tool is turning into a real weapon.

2011 is going to be a big season for Mahoney. If he goes out the gate running at Bowie as he did in 2010, he star will only get brighter and he could become the "firstbase of the future" for the Orioles. If 2010 was an abberation and his numbers float back to 2008-2009 form, he could be a nice bench player. A potential trap could be the wrist injury in the winter league and hopefully it will not effect him this summer.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #6 by ljmillar22 » December 16th, 2010, 8:39 am

Will Mahoney see any time at 1st base during spring training as he is on the 40 man roster. the days are flying by and no word on a 1st baseman being signed, this has to be the most pressing issue, with only Scott, Synder, Fox and Mahoney on the 40 man that can play 1st ( oh forgot bout reynolds, but would presume he is inked in at 3rd). All of which apart from Mahoney are just stop gaps until next year!!!!!
ljmillar22
DSL Orioles

PostPost #7 by Don » December 16th, 2010, 12:19 pm

All players on the 40 man roster are already invited to major league spring training. He will be around until they have to breakdown players to limit the roster to the 25 major league roster, by March 26th (not locked on the date).

His stay will largely depend on his development and other options in the organization. If they grab a Jorge Cantu, Derrick Lee, Adam LaRoche, he will still log a fair number of innings and go to Bowie.

I suspect that he could be in Norfolk by the break and maybe a September call up. This would be on the high end of things. It is more likely that you will see the Orioles send him to Bowie and maybe the last few weeks to Norfolk, with a 2012 season likely in an Orioles uniform.

Stranger things have happened, but the Orioles are still trying to gauge the long term value of Brandon Snyder. He will be given the first crack out of minor league 1B.

As far as stopgaps, it depends on who they sign to the club and how long they are signed with the Orioles. It also depends on free agency. Do the Orioles play the Prince Fielder sweepstakes? Do they trade to another club that could bring them a better 1B prospect? It is simply a bit pre-mature to think what direction this club takes with regards to the first base position.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Return to Baltimore Orioles