Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Defensively Challenged No More?

Defensively Challenged No More?

PostPost #1 by legmason » August 27th, 2012, 10:27 pm

BREAKING NEWS! The much maligned Oriole's defense, which has been beyond dreadful at times, is no longer the worst in the majors! Colorado currently leads all of baseball with 98 errors and has 4 more errors than the O's. The amount of errors that separate the bottom of the pack is relatively small and the O's could find themselves out of the bottom 5 rather quickly....possibly even by the end of the week. Two other intriguing contending clubs that aren't far behind the O's are the Rays and the Giants.

While they're still the second worst fielding team, they've improved a lot and you have to give credit to DD and Showalter for pushing the right buttons and improving the club dramatically on defense with Quintanilla, McLouth, Reynolds and Machado all the while still getting some offensive output. No doubt that Quintanilla and McLouth aren't long term solutions to their positions but it's certainly what the team needed as we forge ahead into September.

The best fielding teams in terms of amount of errors committed are:

Seattle 50 yes that number is indeed correct ... almost of what the O's have
New York Yankees 57
Chicago White Sox 59
Atlanta 65
Texas 69
Cleveland 71
Washington 72
Arizona 72

Save for the Mariners and the Indians, all of those clubs are found among the top five in many power rankings.
legmason
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

Re: Defensively Challenged No More?

PostPost #2 by Matt P » August 27th, 2012, 10:47 pm

Even with all the errors they still weren't one of the 5 worst defenses in the league.

Now that they have McLouth in LF, Reynolds at 1B, Quintanilla/Andino/Flaherty at 2B, and Machado at 3B they are above average.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #3 by mikezpen » August 28th, 2012, 8:20 am

Heard last nite that the Os have the fewest errors in either MLB or the AL since the All-Star game.
mikezpen
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #4 by OriolesRedskins28 » August 28th, 2012, 12:55 pm

My big question is what are they going to do when Betemit comes back? I love Betemit's bat against RHP but I don't think anyone wants to see his glove at any position in the field. I would be very disappointed if they disrupted the great defensive situation that they've (finally) set up by putting Betemit or C Davis in the field.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #5 by Tucker Blair » August 28th, 2012, 12:58 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:My big question is what are they going to do when Betemit comes back? I love Betemit's bat against RHP but I don't think anyone wants to see his glove at any position in the field. I would be very disappointed if they disrupted the great defensive situation that they've (finally) set up by putting Betemit or C Davis in the field.

He will get AB against RHP at first I would assume. Can come off bench and also spell Machado at 3rd and Davis at DH. His bat is best used in scenarios fit for his ability. He's already gotten more PA this year than in the past 5 years.

He's a good matchup guy with versatility off the bench. The Orioles overused him this year due to necessity, but overall Betemit has proved to be a solid signing.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #6 by ofahn » August 28th, 2012, 1:03 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:He will get AB against RHP at first I would assume

Because of Reynolds limited range he's only average defensively at 1B, but Betemit is not even that good. I hope Buck limits him only those innings in the field that are absolutely necessary. It will be much easier to hide him on the bench after the rosters expand on the 1st.

You have to love his bat coming off of the bench, though. He can sure turn on a FB.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #7 by osforlife » August 28th, 2012, 4:40 pm

Betemit shouldn't get an at-bat against lefties next year. Anybody would be better than Wilson agianst lefties lol. But you only play him vs righties and he's gonna hit over .300.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

Return to Baltimore Orioles