Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Mussina into Orioles Hall of Fame

Mussina into Orioles Hall of Fame

PostPost #1 by birdwatcher55 » August 21st, 2012, 6:42 pm

I'm not happy with his selection. He will always be a Yankee in my mind. Your thoughts?? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Re: Mussina into Orioles Hall of Fame

PostPost #2 by Tucker Blair » August 21st, 2012, 6:46 pm

He will always be one of the Orioles best pitchers. Also the best pitcher I grew up watching.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #3 by legmason » August 21st, 2012, 9:48 pm

I was pretty upset when he left the O's to sign with the Yankees but with the state of the team at the time you could hardly argue with the decision. He never won a world series as a Yankee which always made me smile and I've called that "the curse of the moose." I was "mad" at him for a while because he was the dominant O's pitcher I grew up watching as a teenager.
To put his time as an Oriole in perspective keep these stats in mind.

Mussina was an Oriole for longer and has more strikeouts, wins and innings pitched in Baltimore than he did when he was in New York. In addition, he is 3rd all time in wins behind only Dave McNally and Jim Palmer on the Orioles all time list. He is also 2nd in strikeouts on the O's all time list behind, once again....drum roll..., Jim Palmer.

He his, in my mind, one of the very best pitchers to ever put on an Oriole uniform and as much as it killed me to see him in pinstripes he will forever be one of the best pitchers I was ever lucky enough to watch pitch in black and orange.
legmason
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #4 by Tucker Blair » August 21st, 2012, 10:02 pm

legmason wrote:I was pretty upset when he left the O's to sign with the Yankees but with the state of the team at the time you could hardly argue with the decision. He never won a world series as a Yankee which always made me smile and I've called that "the curse of the moose." I was "mad" at him for a while because he was the dominant O's pitcher I grew up watching as a teenager.
To put his time as an Oriole in perspective keep these stats in mind.

Mussina was an Oriole for longer and has more strikeouts, wins and innings pitched in Baltimore than he did when he was in New York. In addition, he is 3rd all time in wins behind only Dave McNally and Jim Palmer on the Orioles all time list. He is also 2nd in strikeouts on the O's all time list behind, once again....drum roll..., Jim Palmer.

He his, in my mind, one of the very best pitchers to ever put on an Oriole uniform and as much as it killed me to see him in pinstripes he will forever be one of the best pitchers I was ever lucky enough to watch pitch in black and orange.

Well said. Pretty much exactly what I think.
Moose was absolutely one of the most dominating pitchers in the league at times. If he would have gone to any other team than no one would have even cared.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #5 by ofahn » August 21st, 2012, 10:08 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Moose was absolutely one of the most dominating pitchers in the league at times.

He was also an effective big game pitcher.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #6 by dan72 » August 22nd, 2012, 12:43 am

Mussina deserves to be in the Orioles HOF, in fact I think he will make it into cooperstown. His stats are very impressive and keep in mind he pitched through the steroid era, where balls were flying out of parks at a record rate. His entire career was spent in the super competitive AL east...... Those two facts make all of his accomplishments that much more impressive. His winning percentage is also one of the best of his time.
There were pitchers in his time that were more dominant ie Randy Johnson, Greg Maddux, and the Rocket....but Moose deserves his place in history. He was never very good to the press or the fans, but he was one hell of a pitcher. I will remember him as an Oriole.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #7 by Matt P » August 22nd, 2012, 4:42 pm

He was always my favorite as a kid. Good for him to be elected.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #8 by Oriole85 » August 23rd, 2012, 1:34 am

birdwatcher55 wrote:I'm not happy with his selection. He will always be a Yankee in my mind. Your thoughts?? 8-)

I feel like this is a very short-sighted view. He played in Baltimore for a DECADE. Many forget he signed an extension at a discount the first time around, irking many of his fellow players (since if one of the elite pitchers is taking less $$$, it deflates their salaries as well). He's the second best pitcher in O's history (some would argue he's the best, but I think that's Palmer).

The Orioles had their chance to re-sign him, but they low-balled him and dragged it out. I think if they had offered him a fair deal at the beginning, he would've re-signed here. Truth be told, I think the Orioles might not have wanted to re-sign him in the first place since they had one of the top payrolls in baseball at the time and wanted to slash it and as he pointed out, "get younger."

Bottomline is this, he worked very hard while he was here, had a lot of success, left as a free agent. Isn't business a two-way street? Sure I would've preferred him to sign with an NL team or any other team since they were by far our most hated rivals at the time.
Oriole85
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #9 by Oriole85 » August 23rd, 2012, 1:37 am

The Orioles HOF is being deflated by the likes of Rich Dauer&Mike Bordick. I can only imagine the next batch since we are 14 years removed from any glory. Luis Matos, David Segui, Daniel Caberra?

My point is Moose belongs. This isn't a Hall of Loyalty.
Oriole85
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #10 by mikezpen » August 25th, 2012, 9:25 am

My problem w/him was that he wouldn't let the Orioles trade him and get something back. I can't blame him for leaving Baltimore though. The Oriole teams of the early part of the decade were horrific and run by an ownership that didn't care about winning; he had a right to expect something better.

He's probably the second-best pitcher the team has ever had, and he belongs in the O's HOF if anybody does.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #11 by Matt P » August 25th, 2012, 1:34 pm

It wasn't his fault that Angelos took his time. I don't understand how anyone can still hate the guy now that all the facts are out about what happened.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Return to Baltimore Orioles