Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Wow, talk about a ridiculously tough schedule ahead.

Wow, talk about a ridiculously tough schedule ahead.

PostPost #1 by Matt P » August 17th, 2012, 4:10 am

The next 29 games are pretty damn tough. The worst team they play in this stretch is Toronto. Every other team they play as of this post is either currently a playoff team or within 1.5 games of a playoff spot.

3 @ Detroit
3 @ Texas
3 vs Toronto
4 vs Chicago
3 @ New York
3 @ Toronto
4 vs New York
3 vs Tampa Bay
3 @ Oakland

I knew they had a tough stretch coming up after the 10 game home stand but I didn't realize it was this tough. This has to be the hardest stretch of the year for the O's (although, it seems like we say that every few weeks).

I'm going to predict a 13-16 record during this stretch which would mean the team ends up @ Seattle for a 3 game series 7 games over .500 and still in the playoff race. What say you ON?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Re: Wow, talk about a ridiculously tough schedule ahead.

PostPost #2 by David » August 17th, 2012, 8:15 am

Well we got 6 vs the Jays and I mean no dis-respect to them but they are by far and away the worst team on your list. I'd say we take at least 4 from Toronto and go a few games over 500. I'm confident this team can make the playoffs.
David
Orioles Nation Staff
Staff Writer
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 4

PostPost #3 by osforlife » August 17th, 2012, 9:00 am

Toronto has really taken a dip. I don't see Oakland in the race by the time we play them. My Prediction:
1-2 vs Tigers
1-2 vs Rangers
3-0 vs Bluejays
2-2 vs Whitesox
1-2 vs Yankees
2-1 vs Bluejays
2-2 vs New York
1-2 vs Rays
2-1 vs A's
A very bold 15-14 :)
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #4 by birdwatcher55 » August 17th, 2012, 12:20 pm

I'm going to say 12-17. Our starting pitching is really suspect 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #5 by Matt P » August 18th, 2012, 1:15 am

What a horrible way to start off this stretch. That might have been the worst game of the season. The O's worst starter against the best starter in baseball and they actually should have won the game? Wow, what a rough loss.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by birdwatcher55 » August 18th, 2012, 10:20 am

0-for-10 with RISP was the difference as much we want to pin this on bad umpiring and lousy reilef pitching. This club just cannot generate the big hit when it needs it consistently and that is going to cost us long term 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by Matt P » August 19th, 2012, 3:24 pm

2-1 vs Detroit
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by legmason » August 19th, 2012, 6:03 pm

Matt P wrote:2-1 vs Detroit

Call me susan and color me impressed....whatever the hell that means. Anyway I thought for sure they would only win one of those games going into the series. Clutch hitting, good defense, and some luck. Very impressed with Britton's outing in this series as well. Hopefully this outing is a springboard for him.
legmason
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #9 by Matt P » August 19th, 2012, 6:04 pm

legmason wrote:
Call me susan and color me impressed....whatever the hell that means. Anyway I thought for sure they would only win one of those games going into the series. Clutch hitting, good defense, and some luck. Very impressed with Britton's outing in this series as well. Hopefully this outing is a springboard for him.

It just sucks because they should have gone 3-0.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by legmason » August 19th, 2012, 6:17 pm

Matt P wrote:It just sucks because they should have gone 3-0.

very true. It's hurts when you're in the playoff hunt and have a chance to win such a lopsided match up with Hunter vs. Verlander and you can't pull it out. We were lucky to even be in that game and the O's have to take advantage of games like that if they want to stay in this thing.
legmason
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #11 by birdwatcher55 » August 19th, 2012, 8:23 pm

You're not going to sweep a series when you go 0-for-10 in RISP situations and give up three homers. Not going to happen in most cases 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by Tucker Blair » August 19th, 2012, 10:03 pm

Keep picking away... They've done a good job this season at not falling after a few losses. Cliche as it may be, this team does have something that they lacked in the past.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #13 by ofahn » August 19th, 2012, 10:07 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Keep picking away... They've done a good job this season at not falling after a few losses. Cliche as it may be, this team does have something that they lacked in the past.

I was thinking about that this afternoon as I was watching them come back, AGAIN. Let's face it, the position players are about the same as last year. IMO the simple answer is a competent bullpen. These guys know that if they get the lead they have a good chance to win. Hope is a compelling emotion.
Last edited by ofahn on August 19th, 2012, 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #14 by Tucker Blair » August 19th, 2012, 10:15 pm

ofahn wrote:
I was thinking about that this afternoon as I watching them come back, AGAIN. Let's face it, the position players are about the same as last year. IMO the simple answer is a competent bullpen. These know that if they get the lead they have a good chance to win. Hope is a compelling emotion.

Bullpen has been a pleasure to watch. They have thrown 400 innings this season compared to the 565.2 they threw last season (which they are obviously on pace to be well below that). That shows they have gotten more innings from the SP which lets the bullpen breath a little more.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #15 by mikezpen » August 19th, 2012, 10:32 pm

I'm glad they have Johnson up here to handle long relief.We s/b ok once we hit Sept. because we can bring up some extra pitchers to handle the innings load.They have great short relievers but they can't keep bringing them in at mid-game or they'll burn them out.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles