Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Matusz done as a starter?

Matusz done as a starter?

PostPost #1 by birdwatcher55 » August 15th, 2012, 3:14 pm

Headed for the bullpen in Norfolk. Done as a starter?? Maybe somewhere else 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Re: Matusz done as a starter?

PostPost #2 by A_K » August 15th, 2012, 3:22 pm

I'm glade they're getting creative to find potential upgrades on the roster for this... hopeful... playoff run. But I can't shake the feeling that we've irreparably damaged Matusz's trade value with this move.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #3 by ofahn » August 15th, 2012, 3:26 pm

A_K wrote:I'm glade they're getting creative to find potential upgrades on the roster for this... hopeful... playoff run. But I can't shake the feeling that we've irreparably damaged Matusz's trade value with this move.

I was thinking the same thing but I also understand that having success at the ML level again could increase his value. I think that his stock had dropped as much as possible already and this move may be the last opportunity to rebuild some of that value for this winter.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by David » August 15th, 2012, 3:42 pm

Sure it hurt his trade value but something had to be done, if he struggled as a starter in AAA I can't imagine us getting anything in return for him. However if he excels in the pen he can rebuild some of his lost value, maybe even work his way back into the rotation.
David
Orioles Nation Staff
Staff Writer
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 4

PostPost #5 by ofahn » August 15th, 2012, 3:46 pm

David wrote:if he struggled as a starter in AAA I can't imagine us getting anything in return for him

I can see the other side of that argument as being that at least he's still a starter. Frankly, I see this as a win - win situation. If he has any pride then he will see this as step down in his career and do something about it. If not, we have a better understanding of who Brian Matusz is and can plan accordingly.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 15th, 2012, 3:52 pm

I like the idea of moving him to the bullpen. Guys like David Price and Lance Lynn have come to the majors as a reliever and gotten a feel fore it and had success the following season.

I'm not saying Matusz doesn't have a feel for the majors already, but it could be a good way for him to get some of his confidence back.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #7 by Matt P » August 15th, 2012, 6:22 pm

Palmer made a comment last night about Matusz not being as coachable as one would like. Peterson always raves about how hard Tillman worked and there was a nice write up about Arrieta. He really had nothing to say about Matusz other than Matusz didn't feel he needed as much work on his delivery and they only made some minor tweaks.

Price is a totally different story than Matusz. Price was in his first professional season and it was his first call up. The Rays didn't need a starter. Comparing the two makes no sense.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #8 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 15th, 2012, 6:25 pm

Matt P wrote:Price is a totally different story than Matusz. Price was in his first professinal season and it was his first call up. The Rays didn't need a starter. Comparing the two makes no sense.

Not really. I realize that, but my point has nothing to do with how many season each had pitched. The point was that when Price came up as a reliever, he enjoyed some success in the majors. Without a doubt that was a good way to ease him in and give him so confidence going into the next season as starter.

Matusz has not had success in the majors in quite some time. Some successful outings from the bullpen could do him well.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #9 by Matt P » August 15th, 2012, 6:34 pm

Price was the top prospect in baseball and was looked as a future ace. They didn't call him up to ease him in they called him up because they needed help. The only way they compare is both teams need/needed help. Matusz has pitched for the last 3 seasons in the bigs. A comparable to Price would be Dylan Bundy IMO.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #10 by Adam Wolff » August 15th, 2012, 7:35 pm

I think the benefits here could be two-fold. First, for the team. If Matusz can come up in September and be an effective LH arm out of the pen, it obviously helps the quest for the playoffs. Second, as Jordan mentioned, it wouldn't hurt to have Matusz enjoy some success. He's had a tumultuous couple of seasons, with a lot of people in his ear and a lot of failure. Maybe going to the bullpen can simplify things for him. If he can remember how to get ML hitters out in September, maybe it gives him some momentum going into next year.

I'm not incredibly optimistic about Matusz, but I'm open to anything to try and get some value out of him.
@AdamWolff
Adam Wolff
DSL Orioles

PostPost #11 by birdwatcher55 » August 16th, 2012, 11:41 am

Sorry .. just don't see where Matusz is going to help this club. He's just not effective. I don't want him anywhere near a game that is very much in doubt. The offseason and his potential exit from this organization can't come any sooner for me 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by birdwatcher55 » August 16th, 2012, 11:42 am

Nice avatar Adam!! 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by Adam Wolff » August 16th, 2012, 11:56 am

birdwatcher55 wrote:Nice avatar Adam!! 8-)

Thanks man!

Matusz went 3 innings at Norfolk last night, allowing 5 hits, 2 walks, and 2 earned runs. Lone bright spot would be that he got 5 Ks, but strikeout numbers don't matter a whole lot when you're allowing that many men to reach base. Hopefully Brian can get something (anything!) figured out.
@AdamWolff
Adam Wolff
DSL Orioles

PostPost #14 by ofahn » August 16th, 2012, 12:39 pm

Nice avatar Adam!!

Is that Slash?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by dan72 » August 16th, 2012, 12:55 pm

Currently Patton and Romero are the only 2 lefty options out of the pen. I don't forsee Matusz back in the fold this year but assuming he is receptive he could be an option for the 2013 Bullpen. Of course that is if he is not traded during the off season. I don't see the Orioles getting anything for him......
Crazy thing about Matusz is that when I saw him in the minors, A and AA he was dominant. He made batters at that level look bad. Kept them off balance by mixing pitches, changing speeds and hitting his spots. Came up to Baltimore and had some early success and then something happened and he was never the same. Did the league figure him out and he never made counter adjustments? I know Matusz has been critical of some of the coaching, as have other pitchers....I still believe he has potential, but he has to put his trust in Peterson.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles