Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Britton's last stand

Britton's last stand

PostPost #1 by Matt P » August 7th, 2012, 2:31 pm

Tonight's game is the biggest of Britton's young career. He's got a below average offense to pitch against and if he doesn't do well tonight it is very unlikely he makes another start in Baltimore this year. If Arrieta does well tonight it could be him that takes his place in the rotation. Or, they could give Steve Johnson a shot. Either way he has to pitch well tonight to keep is spot on the team.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Re: Britton's last stand

PostPost #2 by Matt P » August 7th, 2012, 6:41 pm

5 runs on 6 hits through 2 innings. Only 2 runs have been earned because of an error. However, the error was on Britton so they really should be earned. Betemit missed a play that could have been the 3rd out in the 1st before the 3 run HR. Two HR in 2 innings ... he's going to need to settle in and not give up anything over the next 4 or 5 innings to have a chance at staying in Baltimore.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #3 by dan72 » August 7th, 2012, 6:45 pm

3 in the first, and 2 in the second.... Not looking good. Everything is getting hit hard. He's got to go. Looks like bus rides and cheap hotels for the rest of the season for Britton. I sure hope we give Johnson a chance to see what he can do.

Does anyone think Britton will be better next year? Does he need surgery? Is he really healthy? My opinion is that he never was as good as all the hype. Other than his first few starts last year he has not been very good.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #4 by Matt P » August 7th, 2012, 6:50 pm

dan72 wrote:3 in the first, and 2 in the second.... Not looking good. Everything is getting hit hard. He's got to go. Looks like bus rides and cheap hotels for the rest of the season for Britton. I sure hope we give Johnson a chance to see what he can do.

Does anyone think Britton will be better next year? Does he need surgery? Is he really healthy? My opinion is that he never was as good as all the hype. Other than his first few starts last year he has not been very good.

He had a great April, great May, okay June, horrible July, great August, and bad September last year. He didn't just do good in his first few games. I think the talent is there as he still throws some good sinkers and some great breaking balls. I think he's another Arrieta where the problem is more in his head than his arm.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by Matt P » August 7th, 2012, 6:57 pm

Only down 5-2 now and they are hitting Beavan. He's been good his last 4 starts but he doesn't look that good tonight. Britton can save himself if he can put up some zero's for the next 4 or 5 innings. This game is far from over but Britton can't give up anymore runs.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by Matt P » August 7th, 2012, 7:04 pm

3 up 3 down 3rd inning on 8 pitches. Weak tapper that Wieters handled, groundball to SS, and fly out to CF. Great bounce back inning.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by dan72 » August 7th, 2012, 7:11 pm

1-3 with a 4.50 ERA and better than 1 hit per inning is not an OK June 2011 in my opinion, so I stand corrected he has had 2 good months in the majors . April and May of 2011. Hopefully Peterson can fix him like he has seemingly fixed Tillman.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #8 by Matt P » August 7th, 2012, 7:16 pm

Well, a 4.50 era technically is "quality" which is why I said it was okay. I didn't even look at W/L. He had a good August too but it was only 3 starts. You're right though, a 4.50 isn't good in my book either regardless of the QS stat.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by Matt P » August 7th, 2012, 8:05 pm

Well, he did do better after the 2nd inning at least. Not sure if it's enough to save his spot in the rotation. Arrieta pitched even worse in AAA tonight so he likely won't be taking his spot.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by Rising O's » August 7th, 2012, 9:15 pm

Could use Joe Blanton right about now.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #11 by birdwatcher55 » August 8th, 2012, 6:41 am

See ya in ST Zack 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #12 by mikezpen » August 8th, 2012, 6:42 am

Maybe still suffering the effects of arm surgery.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #13 by osforlife » August 8th, 2012, 10:17 am

Oh I wish their is a day where we can keep young pitchers in the minors until they are completely ready...
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #14 by ofahn » August 8th, 2012, 10:30 am

osforlife wrote:Oh I wish their is a day where we can keep young pitchers in the minors until they are completely ready...

From your keyboard to DD's screen when it comes to The Bundys, Gausman, and Wright.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #15 by Matt P » August 8th, 2012, 12:25 pm

osforlife wrote:Oh I wish their is a day where we can keep young pitchers in the minors until they are completely ready...

Jordan and Tucker both thought he looked ready after his last AAA start. He was definitely ready last season too.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles