Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Trade Deadline Tidbits

Trade Deadline Tidbits

PostPost #1 by birdwatcher55 » August 7th, 2012, 11:46 am

Per Roch: the Astros wanted Arrieta and one more minor leaguer - I don't know which one - in exchange for starter Wandy Rodriguez. The Orioles passed on that offer, and Rodriguez eventually was dealt to the Pirates. And I'm told the Padres wanted Arrieta and Brian Matusz if they were going to part with third baseman Chase Headley, who remained in San Diego
-END-

Personally I would have done Arrieta and Matusz in a New York minute!!! 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Re: Trade Deadline Tidbits

PostPost #2 by ofahn » August 7th, 2012, 12:33 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:the Padres wanted Arrieta and Brian Matusz if they were going to part with third baseman Chase Headley

I'm VERY glad we didn't make that trade considering that the Padres will take about half of that this winter.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by David » August 7th, 2012, 12:43 pm

I would've never made that trade, Wandy is a good pitcher but he isn't great.
David
Orioles Nation Staff
Staff Writer
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 4

PostPost #4 by Matt P » August 7th, 2012, 1:08 pm

I would have passed on the Wandy trade.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #5 by dan72 » August 7th, 2012, 8:54 pm

I would have been very tempted to make the trade with the Padres. Assuming Matusz is a bust, all you are really losing is an average to slightly below average SP for one of the top 10 third baseman in the game...... Hard to turn that down. Honestly Arrieta and Matusz would probably fair better in those parks against that competition. just MHO.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #6 by ofahn » August 8th, 2012, 7:22 am

dan72 wrote:I would have been very tempted to make the trade with the Padres. Assuming Matusz is a bust, all you are really losing is an average to slightly below average SP for one of the top 10 third baseman in the game...... Hard to turn that down. Honestly Arrieta and Matusz would probably fair better in those parks against that competition. just MHO.

Matusz still has value. We would have been overpaying and we don't have the resources to do so. I still think we're the odds on favorite to land Headley in the off season for half of what they wanted.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Return to Baltimore Orioles