Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Reynolds needs to go

Re: Reynolds needs to go

PostPost #151 by LA Detective » September 28th, 2012, 3:48 pm

I agree. They get Davis so often on the low pitch moving out of the zone..I often say to myself before each ptch to him, " if its low let it go." I do believe Davis has the greater upside and I am not sold that he wont play decent D there with work. I just think he has greater upside..He hit such a slump immediately when he had to figure out the OF back in June/July...He was hitting .300plus at that moment and has hit about .300 since mostly DHing and now more confortable in the OF..I really believe he is a .280+/35 hr+ guy. IF Reimold was healthy, I beleive we are better with Davis/Remold than Reynolds/Davis
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #152 by Matt P » September 29th, 2012, 12:51 am

Davis was thought of as an above average defender at 1B. I don't see why he wouldn't be able to handle it full time. Don't forget, he spent a lot of last off season working at 3B.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #153 by ofahn » September 30th, 2012, 2:49 pm

If the team resigns Reynolds I'd like to see Davis focus his off season work on improving his routes in RF and LF. I still see him as the primary DH, but it would be nice if he could also play an above average OF.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #154 by Matt P » October 12th, 2012, 7:14 pm

One thing that John Smoltz said tonight really stood out to me. He said something along the lines of "As a pitcher I notice these things and I never thought I would see someone cover as much ground at 1B as Albert Pujols but Mark Reynolds does". They then talked about how incredible Mark has been at 1B since he moved over there. I think that just about clears up the questions about his range at 1B.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #155 by osforlife » October 12th, 2012, 7:29 pm

If Davis can learn how to play an average to above average first base, there is no need for Reynolds. Big move this winter.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #156 by OriolesRedskins28 » October 12th, 2012, 8:51 pm

osforlife wrote:If Davis can learn how to play an average to above average first base, there is no need for Reynolds. Big move this winter.

I wouldn't count on that, Davis isn't nearly as nimble as Mark Reynolds is. Reynolds has an uncanny ability to toe the bag on wild throws to first base and has really impressed me defensively. He seems to be a great clubhouse guy to boot and while he was pathetic at the plate in the ALDS, his late season hot streak was one of the biggest reasons the Orioles were even able to make the playoffs. Reynolds should be back IMO (never thought I would say that).
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #157 by Matt P » October 12th, 2012, 8:54 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:
I wouldn't count on that, Davis isn't nearly as nimble as Mark Reynolds is. Reynolds has an uncanny ability to toe the bag on wild throws to first base and has really impressed me defensively. He seems to be a great clubhouse guy to boot and while he was pathetic at the plate in the ALDS, his late season hot streak was one of the biggest reasons the Orioles were even able to make the playoffs. Reynolds should be back IMO (never thought I would say that).

Whenever they bring up the defensive improvements Hardy always mentions how Reynolds has saved them from so many throwing errors at 1B. He still has some things he needs to work on like knowing when it's his ball or the 2B ball but that will come with a full off season of work at 1B IMO.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #158 by ofahn » October 12th, 2012, 9:38 pm

Matt P wrote:One thing that John Smoltz said tonight really stood out to me. He said something along the lines of "As a pitcher I notice these things and I never thought I would see someone cover as much ground at 1B as Albert Pujols but Mark Reynolds does". They then talked about how incredible Mark has been at 1B since he moved over there. I think that just about clears up the questions about his range at 1B.

I respect other people's opinions, but I just don't share them. I ABSOLUTELY AGREE that Reynolds is the most improved defensive player on this team and maybe in the league; however, I still see flaws in his defense. What I think is the biggest compliment I can give Mark is that his glove is now better than his bat as a 1B. Who would have thought THAT would be the area he would need to improve this winter?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #159 by ofahn » October 12th, 2012, 9:39 pm

osforlife wrote:If Davis can learn how to play an average to above average first base, there is no need for Reynolds. Big move this winter.

It's not going to be an easy decision for the FO in the next few weeks.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #160 by Matt P » October 12th, 2012, 9:40 pm

ofahn wrote:
I respect other people's opinions, but I just don't share them. I ABSOLUTELY AGREE that Reynolds is the most improved defensive player on this team and maybe in the league; however, I still see flaws in his defense. What I think is the biggest compliment I can give Mark is that his glove is now better than his bat as a 1B. Who would have thought THAT would be the area he would need to improve this winter?

You are the only person I know that claims his range is not good.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #161 by ofahn » October 12th, 2012, 9:53 pm

Matt P wrote:
You are the only person I know that claims his range is not good.

I also claim that the Emperor has no clothes.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #162 by Matt P » October 12th, 2012, 10:01 pm

ofahn wrote:
I also claim that the Emperor has no clothes.

I don't get the reference.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #163 by ofahn » October 13th, 2012, 7:21 am

Matt P wrote:I don't get the reference.

You never read that story when you were a kid?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Empero ... ew_Clothes
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #164 by osforlife » October 13th, 2012, 8:36 am

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:

Reynolds is the far superior defender, we all know that. If Davis can play average there, we don't need Reynolds.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles