Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Why not give up a big package for Chase Headley?

Why not give up a big package for Chase Headley?

PostPost #1 by Matt P » July 29th, 2012, 9:05 pm

This guy is a monster away from Petco as his career splits show. A .295/.365/.448 for an .813 OPS for his career away from Petco. Imagine what his numbers would look like playing half his games at OPACY, and the other half of his games NOT in San Diego. Not only are his stats away from Petco good but he is also a fundamentally sound player too. He can run the bases (not all current O's can), can steal a few bases, and is good defensively. Oh, and on top of all of that he is under team control for TWO more seasons!

I know everyone loves prospects but I really wouldn't be upset if they gave up a big package for him. Everyone should be on the table except for Bundy, Machado, and Tillman to try and get this guy and they should be willing to give up 4 or 5 guys for him.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Why not give up a big package for Chase Headley?

PostPost #2 by OriolesRedskins28 » July 29th, 2012, 10:04 pm

Matt P wrote:This guy is a monster away from Petco as his career splits show. A .295/.365/.448 for an .813 OPS for his career away from Petco. Imagine what his numbers would look like playing half his games at OPACY, and the other half of his games NOT in San Diego. Not only are his stats away from Petco good but he is also a fundamentally sound player too. He can run the bases (not all current O's can), can steal a few bases, and is good defensively. Oh, and on top of all of that he is under team control for TWO more seasons!

I know everyone loves prospects but I really wouldn't be upset if they gave up a big package for him. Everyone should be on the table except for Bundy, Machado, and Tillman to try and get this guy and they should be willing to give up 4 or 5 guys for him.


I think that's the problem though, as Don said the Padres want Machado for him. I wish there was a way to get Headley because he is a top 5 3rd baseman in all of baseball (Longoria, Wright, Zimmerman, Beltre, Headley) at a time when productive 3rd baseman are scarce. As you said he brings the total package to the table and I would be willing to extend him and could see him holding down the hot corner for at least the next few years. He would be a HUGE boost to the team in all of the aspects that you stated.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 427
Joined: August 2011
Reputation Score: 25

Re: Why not give up a big package for Chase Headley?

PostPost #3 by Matt P » July 29th, 2012, 10:16 pm

Why not give up Machado for him though? Headley, like you said, is already one of the best 3B in the league right now. Taking him out of Petco there is a very good chance he becomes one of the elite 3B in game.

By the way, I don't know if I would or wouldn't give up Machado for him. I just don't see why everyone thinks it is crazy for the Padres to ask for him. They know more about him than anyone and they know he can become an elite 3B if they trade him.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Why not give up a big package for Chase Headley?

PostPost #4 by ofahn » July 29th, 2012, 10:29 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:the Padres want Machado for him


With all of the hysteria around acquiring Headley it 's apparently lost in the hoopla that THE PADRES DON'T REALLY HAVE A MARKET LEFT FOR HIM AND ALMOST HAVE TO TRADE HIM NOW TO EVEN GET HIS REAL VALUE. They can want Machado. They can want Bundy. They can want six weeks in a clothing optional hot tub with Kate Upton but that doesn't mean the market is there for them to get what they want.

The Dodgers were the team that MIGHT have given a top 100 SP (Lee), but they're out of the game now. The Diamondbacks got Johnson from the Astros. The Pirates are finally figuring that they don't have a spot for him and the Indians are now looking at becoming sellers. The two teams left standing are the Orioles and As. The As have a tradition of NOT overpaying for players and are probably thinking (as I hope DD is) that they will be competing with us this Winter for Headley at a much lower price IF the Padres hold on to him because the premium he could generate this season ENDS on July 31st.

The Padres almost HAVE to trade Headley. If not now for a premium, then in the off season so they have a place for Jedd Gyorko. Of course, they could move Headley to the OF but that will greatly diminish his value and they could get a ML ready OF (Hoes) as part of a package for Headley RIGHT NOW.

I would be willing to offer them ONE of Tillman, Matusz, or Arietta AND ONE of Avery/Hoes and a lesser prospect for Headley RIGHT NOW. If the Padres can get a better offer then they should take it. This Winter I would be pulling the OF from the offer.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4409
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Why not give up a big package for Chase Headley?

PostPost #5 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 29th, 2012, 11:20 pm

Matt P wrote:Why not give up Machado for him though? Headley, like you said, is already one of the best 3B in the league right now. Taking him out of Petco there is a very good chance he becomes one of the elite 3B in game.

By the way, I don't know if I would or wouldn't give up Machado for him. I just don't see why everyone thinks it is crazy for the Padres to ask for him. They know more about him than anyone and they know he can become an elite 3B if they trade him.

Machado is just so good. Top 5 prospects are also rarely ever dealt at the trade deadline so it probably isn't something that even needs to be debated. I don't think any team would trade a 20 year old with Machado's tools performing like he is at AA. It just does not make sense to deal a guy who will likely be your stud SS for six years for a 3B, of course a good one, who will play for you for 2 years.
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2590
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57



Re: Why not give up a big package for Chase Headley?

PostPost #6 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 29th, 2012, 11:22 pm

ofahn wrote:
With all of the hysteria around acquiring Headley it 's apparently lost in the hoopla that THE PADRES DON'T REALLY HAVE A MARKET LEFT FOR HIM AND ALMOST HAVE TO TRADE HIM NOW TO EVEN GET HIS REAL VALUE. They can want Machado. They can want Bundy. They can want six weeks in a clothing optional hot tub with Kate Upton but that doesn't mean the market is there for them to get what they want.

Yeah. Even the beat writers have said the only real teams interested are the Orioles, Athletics, and Indians, but the Athletics aren't very willing to deal parts and the Indians are looking to sell more.
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2590
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57



Re: Why not give up a big package for Chase Headley?

PostPost #7 by Shorebirdfan » July 30th, 2012, 6:27 am

ofahn wrote:They can want six weeks in a clothing optional hot tub with Kate Upton but that doesn't mean the market is there for them to get what they want.


Wait, is that an option? Because I want that!!!
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 559
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 15

Re: Why not give up a big package for Chase Headley?

PostPost #8 by ofahn » July 30th, 2012, 6:47 am

Shorebirdfan wrote:
Wait, is that an option? Because I want that!!!


Wow! What a coincidence because Kate was telling me just YESTERDAY that she was HOPING you'd say that. It might be a long six weeks because she's not an Orioles fan.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4409
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Why not give up a big package for Chase Headley?

PostPost #9 by dan72 » July 30th, 2012, 10:44 am

I would not include Machado in a deal for Headley but I would consider Schoop....
My offer would be Schoop, Matusz and 1-2 mid level prospects and hope they take it. It seems like the market is getting smaller with each passing day.
dan72
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 368
Joined: July 2011
Reputation Score: 5

Re: Why not give up a big package for Chase Headley?

PostPost #10 by birdwatcher55 » July 30th, 2012, 11:44 am

I would not talk Machado or Schoop but instead try to entice them with Arrieta and Mutsz, both of whom could very well prosper in the NL and pitching in that spacious ballpark. 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: November 2011
Reputation Score: 11

Re: Why not give up a big package for Chase Headley?

PostPost #11 by DashingDave314 » July 30th, 2012, 3:11 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I would not talk Machado or Schoop but instead try to entice them with Arrieta and Mutsz, both of whom could very well prosper in the NL and pitching in that spacious ballpark. 8-)


Tommy Hunter and PETCO Park. Match made in heaven.
DashingDave314
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 23
Joined: July 2012
Reputation Score: 3



Return to Baltimore Orioles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests