Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

What would've been a similar package for Grienke?

What would've been a similar package for Grienke?

PostPost #1 by legmason » July 28th, 2012, 12:56 pm

When I heard that Grienke got traded to the Angels, I immediately thought of if the o's offered an equilivant package what would it have been? This is purely hypothetical and I'm not even saying we should've traded for him. I don't know much about the prospects that the Angels gave up but what do you think would've been a similar package for the o's to offer?

The Angels gave up their top prospect in jean segura (rated 55 on the top 100 list by BA) and two double A arms in pena and hellwig.
legmason
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

Re: What would've been a similar package for Grienke?

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 28th, 2012, 1:00 pm

I've been thinking about it as well. It's hard to compare because I don't think the O's have anyone like Pena or Hellweg in the system. They have Bundy and Gausman, but they are much better prospects than the pair the Brewers got. I think the Orioles would have been forced give up quantity over quality but I'm not sure that's what the Brewers were looking for.

Probably would have been something like Parker Bridwell, Nick Delmonico, Jonathan Schoop, and a Mike Wright/Eduardo Rodriguez -- and maybe even a bit more.

Don knows more about the trio the Brewers received but from what I've read and learned about those prospects, what I posted above seems like a fairly equivalent package.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by adonijah1510 » July 28th, 2012, 1:28 pm

Segura was the Angles number one prospect left in the farm system. Hellweg and Pena were number 7 and 14 in the farm system according to mlb.com. All of them 22 and 23 year old prospects with Pena having 111 Ks in 114 innings.
adonijah1510
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 8

PostPost #4 by legmason » July 28th, 2012, 1:47 pm

That's kind of the package I was envisioning. My only other thought was that the brewers might want an arm that was closer to being big league ready. Maybe Wright would be that arm though. Kind of forgot about him but he's pitched better recently at Bowie despite a high era for the year. I think one of the main weak points in the O's system currently is that they don't have many high upside starters in the high minors (not including arrieta and matusz because they've been in the bigs already) which is what most teams would want in return for an ace like Grienke.

Thinking about this farm system as a whole I don't in general think it's all that bad but there are soo many question marks in the low minors. It's a big IF but I think this system could look a lot better next year as some these guys develop.
legmason
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #5 by Shorebirdfan » July 28th, 2012, 11:14 pm

This was a great question to post. I think we probably all go through that same thinking when these deals are struck.

I was thinking our package would have started with a Tillman, Britton type included Schoop and most likely a couple other prospects in the 8-15 range of the organization (possibly Bridwell or Rodriguez and Davis or Mummey)
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #6 by birdwatcher55 » July 29th, 2012, 7:02 am

I was really surprised they didn't get Bourjas. Pena looked like BP in the Future's Game. 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #7 by ofahn » July 29th, 2012, 7:36 am

Shorebirdfan wrote:I was thinking our package would have started with a Tillman, Britton type included Schoop and most likely a couple other prospects in the 8-15 range of the organization (possibly Bridwell or Rodriguez and Davis or Mummey)

Which is EXACTLY why I'm glad we lost (I mean WON) the Grienke sweepstakes.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #8 by Shorebirdfan » July 29th, 2012, 8:53 am

OFahn - agreed
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

Return to Baltimore Orioles