Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Arrieta on the table as trade bait

Arrieta on the table as trade bait

PostPost #1 by dan72 » July 24th, 2012, 10:59 pm

Just reading traderumors.com, the latest news there has Arrieta as the key piece leaving the team. Another post has many teams interested in Hanley Ramirez. Now that Wandy Rodriguez is a Pirate there is one less quality starter on the market. I feel strongly that he would have been a good fit here, and he did not cost much.
Here is part of the article from trade rumors.com

"Quick Hits: Drew, Arrieta, Pirates, Mariners

By Dan Mennella [July 24 at 9:37pm CST]

A few odds and ends to pass along as this busy Tuesday night winds down ...
•The Diamondbacks are less likely to trade shortstop Stephen Drew now that they've removed Ryan Roberts from the roster, tweets Jack Magruder of FOXSportsArizona.com. GM Kevin Towers said there's no deal out there for Drew "that's going to make us better."
•The Orioles may not have a choice but to trade starter Jake Arrieta if they'd like to improve their Major League roster without dealing any of their prized prospects, a source tells Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com. Baltimore has told potential trade partners that Dylan Bundy and Manny Machado are off the table, tweets Britt Ghiroli of MLB.com.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Re: Arrieta on the table as trade bait

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 25th, 2012, 12:11 am

Whether he's a reliever or starter, I think it's clear Arrieta could be a key contributor for the Orioles next season and beyond. I hope they don't deal him.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by birdwatcher55 » July 25th, 2012, 6:05 am

Per Ken Rosenthal:

Look at right-hander Jake Arrieta’s career statistics, and you might ask, “Why wouldn’t the Orioles trade him?”

Well, Arrieta was the Orioles’ Opening Day starter. He still holds significant promise. And some in the organization believe that the team would be foolish to give up on him, major-league sources say.

Here’s the problem: The Orioles don’t want to trade either of the top prospects, Double A shortstop Manny Machado or Single A right-hander Dylan Bundy.

Thus, Arrieta could be in play.

“I think they would move him,” one rival executive said. “They don’t have much choice if they want true upgrades and won’t trade their premium guys.”

Arrieta, 25, currently is at Triple A, working with the Orioles’ pitching guru, former Oakland Athletics and New York Mets pitching coach Rick Peterson.

He is 19-23 with a 5.27 ERA for the Orioles in his career, 3-9 with a 6.13 ERA this season. But some club officials believe it is unfair to judge Arrieta on his 2012 performance. He underwent surgery last August to remove a bone spur from his right elbow, and might not return to form until next season.

One rival executive says that Arrieta actually would be better as a reliever, citing the “roughness” in his delivery. Either way, teams love his arm.

If the Orioles are willing to trade Arrieta, it could help them get the player they need.
8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #4 by Ampontan » July 25th, 2012, 7:58 am

dan72 wrote: Now that Wandy Rodriguez is a Pirate there is one less quality starter on the market. I feel strongly that he would have been a good fit here, and he did not cost much.

Thirteen million dollars a year is not much? And now that he's been traded, another expensive option year kicks in.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #5 by osforlife » July 25th, 2012, 11:50 am

I guess because I've never been the fan of buyers team before I'am kinda scared to deal away young players. I don't think we are a very good team and would not get very far in the playoffs if we even make it. The improved starting rotation gives me hope, but I reluctant to give away young players like Arrieta when they have a very good chance of producing in the future. Maybe its just me....
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #6 by docjj » July 25th, 2012, 3:03 pm

I'm in the minority and say deal him. I don't think he'll ever be consistent and I think he'll phase out from injury eventually with that delivery of his. Plus, he doesn't hide the ball at all and it's easy for hitters to track him.

I say deal him.

(I'm starting to give up on Matusz too...but his delivery is better.)
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #7 by BuckMagic » July 25th, 2012, 4:54 pm

Ampontan wrote:
Thirteen million dollars a year is not much? And now that he's been traded, another expensive option year kicks in.

That option year is kind of the deal breaker! Without it I wouldn't have cared if the O's dealt for him. With it, no thank you!!
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

PostPost #8 by BuckMagic » July 25th, 2012, 4:55 pm

osforlife wrote:I guess because I've never been the fan of buyers team before I'am kinda scared to deal away young players. I don't think we are a very good team and would not get very far in the playoffs if we even make it. The improved starting rotation gives me hope, but I reluctant to give away young players like Arrieta when they have a very good chance of producing in the future. Maybe its just me....

Not just you! I really like Arrieta as a starter still if he can iron out a few kinks. I think he would be a shutdown reliever too. If the O's think he should be in the 'pen I would deal him to a team who thinks he can start.....better value.
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

PostPost #9 by dan72 » July 25th, 2012, 9:29 pm

docjj-I agree completely. I think inconsistency perfectly describes Arrieta and Matusz. I also agree on the point that our organizational depth does not favor us in competing in the trade market. If you want to hold on to your top 3 prospects than you are going to have to part with something that other teams want (young pitching). I'm ok with moving them as long as we solve one of our issues.
I have said many times that if you really want to compete year in and year out you have to go out and get starting pitching. With the exception of Bundy there is no good starting pitching on the horizon. We must go and get starters.
Actually I think 13 Million is fair market value for Wandy. Quality starting pitching is going to be expensive, there is no way around that.
Other than Headley I'm not a fan of any of the bats still left on the market.
dan72
GCL Orioles

PostPost #10 by Ampontan » July 27th, 2012, 3:01 am

Kubatko brings up the possibility of trading Arrieta in his latest MASN post.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #11 by ofahn » July 27th, 2012, 12:45 pm

Ampontan wrote:Kubatko brings up the possibility of trading Arrieta in his latest MASN post.

I'd be open to that ONLY if he brought back a long term need.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #12 by ofahn » July 27th, 2012, 12:48 pm

osforlife wrote:I guess because I've never been the fan of buyers team before I'am kinda scared to deal away young players. I don't think we are a very good team and would not get very far in the playoffs if we even make it. The improved starting rotation gives me hope, but I reluctant to give away young players like Arrieta when they have a very good chance of producing in the future. Maybe its just me....

Even when we were contenders we didn't have much luck with July acquisitions. I think the last one we made that had a real impact was Bobby Bonilla.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #13 by Matt P » July 28th, 2012, 12:55 am

Keep Arrieta unless he is the main piece in a Headley trade.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #14 by ssauer » July 30th, 2012, 4:46 pm

They should try trading Arrieta,Steven Wayne Tolleson and Ryan Adams to the Houston Astros for Jose Carlos Altuve (2b) and Bud Norris (p) or JD Martinez (OF),
ssauer
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Trade Arrieta to the Brewers for Yovani Gallardo

PostPost #15 by ssauer » July 30th, 2012, 6:03 pm

Here is another suggestion for trading Arrieta. Trade him ,Steven Wayne Tolleson(3b),Xavier Tyrone Avery(CF),Nick Johnson(1B) and Ryan Adams (2b for Yovani Gallardo (P),and Richie Weeks (2b).
ssauer
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles