Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

"Marlins and Orioles discussing scenarios"

Re: "Marlins and Orioles discussing scenarios"

PostPost #16 by Matt P » July 24th, 2012, 1:56 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:
Not crazy. Just think Headley actually might cost more at this stage. And with Hanley you hope he gains his old form (you also probably pay for that too)

I also have been advocating that Betemit has been better than people realized this year. Imagine if he wasn't forced into roles he shouldnt have been in

You know as well as anyone that I love me some Betemit. He's done more than anyone expected coming into this season. He is starting to even play better at 3B. I still cringe when he faces a LHP but he was never good against them and never was expected to be. It's weird how all the guys I back the most are the guys most O's fan seem to hate (Reynolds, Betemit, Tillman).
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #17 by Tucker Blair » July 24th, 2012, 1:59 pm

I think most of us would agree Josh Johnson fits a better need than Hanley at this stage. He is truly a big need.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #18 by OriolesRedskins28 » July 24th, 2012, 1:59 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:
Not crazy. Just think Headley actually might cost more at this stage. And with Hanley you hope he gains his old form (you also probably pay for that too)

I also have been advocating that Betemit has been better than people realized this year. Imagine if he wasn't forced into roles he shouldnt have been in

From Roch:

"If executive vice president Dan Duquette brings in another player with a similar skill set - and it won't be third baseman Chase Headley unless the Padres lower their asking price "

Sounds like they're asking for the farm for Headley. I would greatly prefer Headley to just about anyone at this point but if the Padres are really asking for that much then an alternative may be a better choice.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #19 by OriolesRedskins28 » July 24th, 2012, 2:01 pm

Matt P wrote:You know as well as anyone that I love me some Betemit. He's done more than anyone expected coming into this season. He is starting to even play better at 3B. I still cringe when he faces a LHP but he was never good against them and never was expected to be. It's weird how all the guys I back the most are the guys most O's fan seem to hate (Reynolds, Betemit, Tillman).

Betemit would definitely be better served not facing lefties. That's how the Royals got the most out of him when he was in KC. I would rather have Tolleson in against lefties, that way Betemit would still get the bulk of the at bats.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

PostPost #20 by ofahn » July 24th, 2012, 2:03 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:I think Hanley is your prototypical "bounceback" trade target.
I know Don mentioned on twitter he thought Josh Johnson was the same.

I think this is the REAL upside of a trade like this, but the Orioles should SERIOUSLY take that into consideration when deciding what these two players are worth.

If the rumors out of Boston and Miami are true the Marlins are looking more to dump a couple of bad contracts than they are for "equal" talent. As such, DYLAN Bundy, Machado, and Schoop CAN NOT be on the table. I can see the Marlins looking for either Britton or Matusz and either Arrieta or Hunter at the top of the trade with someone like Hoes or Bridwell, too. The Orioles could probably limit the real talent to something like that if they take both contracts without the Marlins kicking in any money. They might also insist that Miami take back Reynolds and/or Gregg since at least one of those two would have to com off of the roster to fit both of the new players.

If the Orioles traded Matusz, Hunter, Reynolds, and Hoes/Bridwell for Ramirez and Johnson (and NO money) and a case of Excedrin (Buck is going to NEED them); I could live with that trade.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #21 by OriolesRedskins28 » July 24th, 2012, 2:04 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:I think most of us would agree Josh Johnson fits a better need than Hanley at this stage. He is truly a big need.

It's not just that he fits a bigger need, but the fact that Hanley has major bust potential. So does Johnson with his injury history but at least he's not noted as a bad clubhouse guy. I think on a rebuilding team that should be taken into account. Hanley would be around for 2 more years, do you want Machado and Schoop learning from an underachiever like him?
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

PostPost #22 by Matt P » July 24th, 2012, 2:04 pm

Two things to keep in mind are that Machado is from Miami and the Marlins are as cheap as any team in the league. Meaning they may actually overvalue Machado as well as our comp pick. What could Machado and our comp pick bring back from the Marlins who could then use Machado as the hometown face of the franchise for the next 7 years? Would you give them up for Johnson, Hanley, and Bonifacio or would the Marlins need to add more to that? I'm not sure I would but it is fun to think about.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #23 by ofahn » July 24th, 2012, 2:08 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:I would like to see the O's get Johnson and Carlos lee in a deal with the Marlins

I was just thinking about that when you posted. In many ways it makes more sense than Ramirez.

We would need the Marlins to take Reynolds as part of the trade.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #24 by OriolesRedskins28 » July 24th, 2012, 2:09 pm

Matt P wrote:Two things to keep in mind are that Machado is from Miami and the Marlins are as cheap as any team in the league. Meaning they may actually overvalue Machado as well as our comp pick. What could Machado and our comp pick bring back from the Marlins who could then use Machado as the hometown face of the franchise for the next 7 years? Would you give them up for Johnson, Hanley, and Bonifacio or would the Marlins need to add more to that? I'm not sure I would but it is fun to think about.

I would want much more than that for Machado. Johnson and Reyes or maybe Stanton at LEAST.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

PostPost #25 by Tucker Blair » July 24th, 2012, 2:09 pm

Matt P wrote:Two things to keep in mind are that Machado is from Miami and the Marlins are as cheap as any team in the league. Meaning they may actually overvalue Machado as well as our comp pick. What could Machado and our comp pick bring back from the Marlins who could then use Machado as the hometown face of the franchise for the next 7 years? Would you give them up for Johnson, Hanley, and Bonifacio or would the Marlins need to add more to that? I'm not sure I would but it is fun to think about.

I probably try and make a trade without him by all means.
By the way, I have this weird fascination with Bonifacio and would love to get him in a deal. He's like a top 10 favorite player for me. Just pure grind, not the most talented in the world but leaves it all on the field.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #26 by Matt P » July 24th, 2012, 2:14 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:
I probably try and make a trade without him by all means.
By the way, I have this weird fascination with Bonifacio and would love to get him in a deal. He's like a top 10 favorite player for me. Just pure grind, not the most talented in the world but leaves it all on the field.

I would to but he shouldn't be untouchable IMO. For instance, if the Marlins would give up Hanley, Johnson, Bonifacio, and Morrison for Machado, comp pick, and other lower prospects I would have to think pretty hard on that.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #27 by OriolesRedskins28 » July 24th, 2012, 2:15 pm

ofahn wrote:
I was just thinking about that when you posted. In many ways it makes more sense than Ramirez.

We would need the Marlins to take Reynolds as part of the trade.

That would make sense for the Marlins too. They will need somebody to play 1B for them for the rest of the seasn.We would probably have to pay some of Reynolds' salary which I would be fine with if it meant giving up less talent.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

PostPost #28 by ofahn » July 24th, 2012, 2:15 pm

Before we hyperventilate there are a few things we should all take into consideration:

The Marlins MAY be floating this rumor to pressure the Sux into a better package.

We MAY be floating the Ramirez part of the trade to pressure the Padres into getting off the dime on Headley.

I could see trading for Johnson and Lee IF we didn't have to give up what we need to get Headley because, if it comes down to one of those two trades, I would still prefer Headley.

Of course, it goes without saying that Bundy, Machado, and Schoop CAN NOT BE INCLUDED IN ANY TRADE WE MAKE FOR ANY OF THESE PLAYERS!!!!!!!!!!!!
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #29 by ofahn » July 24th, 2012, 2:16 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:
That would make sense for the Marlins too. They will need somebody to play 1B for them for the rest of the seasn.We would probably have to pay some of Reynolds' salary which I would be fine with if it meant giving up less talent.

THAT kind of thinking earned you the point.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #30 by OriolesRedskins28 » July 24th, 2012, 2:17 pm

ofahn wrote:
I could see trading for Johnson and Lee IF we didn't have to give up what we need to get Headley because, if it comes down to one of those two trades, I would still prefer Headley.

Of course, it goes without saying that Bundy, Machado, and Schoop CAN NOT BE INCLUDED IN ANY TRADE WE MAKE FOR ANY OF THESE PLAYERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed! Headley is still my #1 choice as long as the asking price isn't prohibitive.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles