Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Mark Reynolds on the move?

Mark Reynolds on the move?

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 24th, 2012, 10:58 am

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roc ... nolds.html

If a left fielder is added, Davis could get a lot more starts at first base, further reducing Reynolds' at-bats. It's not like manager Buck Showalter can rotate players in the DH spot anymore.

The Orioles signed Betemit to a two-year deal with a vesting option. He's emerged as the regular third baseman. They like his versatility. He's not going anywhere.

Is Reynolds? Stay tuned.

Seems like a lot of the posters here guessed correctly when discussing which DH type bat would be the first one to go.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Mark Reynolds on the move?

PostPost #2 by ofahn » July 24th, 2012, 11:08 am

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:Seems like a lot of the posters here guessed correctly when discussing which DH type bat would be the first one to go.

Can't happen fast enough.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » July 24th, 2012, 11:23 am

If the Orioles want to actually compete this year, Reynolds on the move is probably not an awful idea.
I still think he could be a little better than he has been (minimally though). However, when competing like this, it's really tough to sit back and wait on someone whom plays such important positions as 3B and 1B and is making that kind of money.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #4 by ofahn » July 24th, 2012, 11:33 am

TuckerBlair89 wrote:when competing like this, it's really tough to sit back and wait on someone whom plays such important positions as 3B and 1B and is making that kind of money.

What I consider to be Reynold's biggest liability is his inconsistent bat. When he's hot he can carry a team, but when he's cold he's a black hole in the lineup. To replace him with a more consistent hitter like Headley should actually improve team production. The glove is just an added bonus.

Reynolds MIGHT be a slight upgrade over Davis at 1B but I think that Headley at 3B and Avery in LF would be an OVERALL defensive improvement even with Davis at 1B. I think it would also improve the team OBP.

I respect that I'm not writing the checks but, IMO, the money should NOT be a factor. When a team starts a season it should consider its ENTIRE payroll to be a sunk cost and make all of its moves based on talent and contributions; NOT on salary.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #5 by dan72 » July 24th, 2012, 12:34 pm

ofahn- I agree completely, Headley at 3B and Avery in LF. That should be the play.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #6 by Matt P » July 24th, 2012, 1:31 pm

Good defensive 1B with the potential to break out at any time and carry the offense for a few week and everyone wants him gone? I don't get it. He actually comes up with some clutch hits (something this team is horrendous at) and can get on base. I'd keep him at 1B for the rest of the season unless they get a clear upgrade at the position. LaHair is not a clear upgrade.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #7 by Tucker Blair » July 24th, 2012, 1:49 pm

Matt P wrote:Good defensive 1B with the potential to break out at any time and carry the offense for a few week and everyone wants him gone? I don't get it. He actually comes up with some clutch hits (something this team is horrendous at) and can get on base. I'd keep him at 1B for the rest of the season unless they get a clear upgrade at the position. LaHair is not a clear upgrade.

while I don't agree he is as good as you think, I don't believe he is as bad as some say. I also agree with LaHair being a pointless option for the O's.

Unless the Orioles are getting a stud at the corners, Reynolds is going to be here and probably isn't any worse than some of the other options.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #8 by birdwatcher55 » July 24th, 2012, 2:47 pm

I think much depends on how trade talks go with the Marlins 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Return to Baltimore Orioles