Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles have had talks about Headley, LaHair, Polanco

Re: Orioles have had talks about Headley, LaHair, Polanco

PostPost #16 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 25th, 2012, 12:37 am

Alex Rodriguez is headed to the DL so perhaps the Yankees are the leading candidate for Headley now.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #17 by ofahn » July 25th, 2012, 6:51 am

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:Alex Rodriguez is headed to the DL so perhaps the Yankees are the leading candidate for Headley now.

Maybe, but they would have to give up someone like Mason Williams AND a couple of other solid prospects for a player that they wouldn't have a spot for next year. I could see Polanco being a better fit there.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #18 by Ampontan » July 25th, 2012, 8:01 am

It's a safe bet to never put anything past the Yankees, but ARod is under contract until 2017.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #19 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 25th, 2012, 10:10 am

Ampontan wrote:It's a safe bet to never put anything past the Yankees, but ARod is under contract until 2017.

He's also played a bunch of games in the outfield, so you never know.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #20 by ofahn » July 25th, 2012, 10:20 am

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:He's also played a bunch of games in the outfield, so you never know.

The Padres have said they would be willing to accept lower level prospects if they had very high upsides, but I don't see the Yankees emptying their farm system for this short term need. Of course, IF they value him as an OF then the equation changes.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #21 by legmason » July 25th, 2012, 12:31 pm

Ofahn Wrote:
What would you consider substantial? A ML player? One of our top five prospects? A prospect between six and ten?

Perhaps you are undervaluing defense. The foundation of every winning Orioles team that I remember in the last 45 years has been pitching and defense. Of course, that string included some very good hitting teams but it also included some light hitting teams that won primarily on their pitching and defense. If I were DD I would build this team on pitching, defense, and high OBP; and then hope some of those players were plus run producers.

You make a good point about the pitching and defense philosophy and I definitely don't mean to understate the importance of that as it relates to wins. I just don't like the idea of giving up one of our top five prospects for him. Mainly I'm thinking of Schoop as of course DD wouldn't send Machado or Bundy in a trade for Headley. Our farm system isn't that strong and if we're going to trade away some of our better prospects we should be getting more of a complete player who can hit for more power or average. I know you have to give up something to get something and if we could get Headley for say a package of hoes, johnson and arrieta I'd be okay with it. My guess is that the Padres want more than that though.
legmason
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #22 by ofahn » July 25th, 2012, 1:36 pm

legmason wrote:
You make a good point about the pitching and defense philosophy and I definitely don't mean to understate the importance of that as it relates to wins. I just don't like the idea of giving up one of our top five prospects for him. Mainly I'm thinking of Schoop as of course DD wouldn't send Machado or Bundy in a trade for Headley. Our farm system isn't that strong and if we're going to trade away some of our better prospects we should be getting more of a complete player who can hit for more power or average. I know you have to give up something to get something and if we could get Headley for say a package of hoes, johnson and arrieta I'd be okay with it. My guess is that the Padres want more than that though.

The Padres can want MORE all day long. I want to date super models, but that's not going to happen either.

I WOULD NOT TRADE Bundy, Machado, or Schoop for Headley. We need all of them to fill needs. "Robbing Peter to pay Paul" doesn't fix the problem.

Even with the Yankees as a potential buyer the Padres STILL don't have the leverage they did when the Dodgers were in the market. IF the Orioles are willing to offer Matusz, Hoes, and someone else for Headley and the Padres think they can get a better deal then they should take it.

The Padres know there is talent waiting to emerge from Matusz, they have an excellent pitching development record, and Petco seems to make pitchers LOOK much better. Hoes would be well suited to hit in that park. The A's might be willing to offer a package similar to what I suggested but their history is to NOT pay a premium in players at the deadline. I really doubt if Brian Cashman is going to empty his farm system for Headley, and the Yankees don't have any ML ready pitching they can spare. If the Padres REALLY want to move Headley this year so that they can give Jedd Gyorko some playing time then we may be the last team standing on July 31st.

Allow me to give you your first point.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles