Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Diamondbacks Claim Brad Bergesen

Diamondbacks Claim Brad Bergesen

PostPost #1 by ofahn » July 20th, 2012, 2:29 pm

July 20, 2012 2:15 PM by Roch Kubatko

So much for Brad Bergesen staying in the Orioles' organization.

The Arizona Diamondbacks have claimed Bergesen on waivers after the Orioles designated him for assignment on Wednesday to make room on the 25-man roster for pitcher Tommy Hunter. Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus tweeted the news earlier today.

The Orioles hoped that Bergesen would clear waivers again, as he did back in May, and accept an outright assignment to Triple-A Norfolk.

Bergesen was out of options after accepting his outright assignment, and he was expected to accept another one today if a team didn't claim him. The Diamondbacks must place Bergesen on their 40-man roster.

Bergesen was 4-3 with a 4.03 ERA and one save in 22 games with Norfolk, including 10 starts. He allowed 90 hits, walked 23 and struck out 41 in 80 1/3 innings.

The Orioles purchased his contract on Tuesday, giving them a long reliever, but he didn't appear in a game. He flew from Minnesota to Baltimore, with a layover in Chicago, and expected to join the Tides in Syracuse.

The Orioles selected Bergesen, 26, in the fourth round of the 2004 First-Year Player Draft. He went 17-24 with a 4.68 ERA in 83 major league games, including 54 starts. He had four complete games and one shutout.

Bergesen lost his arbitration hearing over the winter and settled for an $800,000 contract. He sought $1.2 million.

Update: Not that I doubted the report, but I received confirmation on the Diamondbacks claiming Bergesen.

Perhaps Bergesen will be reunited with former Orioles reliever David Hernandez, who's got a 2.68 ERA in 43 appearances with the Diamondbacks this season.

I accept that Brad Bergesen never lived up the potential that many of us thought he had but I'm very disappointed that we lost him when he could have easily been given Kevin Gregg's 40 Man Roster spot.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roc ... gesen.html
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Diamondbacks Claim Brad Bergesen

PostPost #2 by osforlife » July 20th, 2012, 4:19 pm

His sinker has never been the same since 2009. He's a good man and maybe a new start will do him well.
I had a gut feeling that his career would start to spiral downward after he took Billy Butler's line drive of the shin. It was kind of a silly prediction but it just popped into my mind as he limped off the field.
Last edited by osforlife on July 21st, 2012, 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #3 by Matt P » July 21st, 2012, 12:57 am

He was starting to do well coming out of the bullpen in Norfolk and I wish he didn't have to go. I thought he could of at least become a good reliever. I guess we will now find out if that is true or not. I still think he could be a good back of the rotation starter for an NL team.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #4 by birdwatcher55 » July 21st, 2012, 7:06 am

Gregg has pitched well of late. I think Bergesen could have helped out here as a mop up type but as someone pointed out, he's not the same pitcher he was early on 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #5 by Shorebirdfan » July 21st, 2012, 7:23 am

If he does work out in the pen there we can start calling their relievers Baltimore West.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #6 by Matt P » July 22nd, 2012, 12:50 am

Shorebirdfan wrote:If he does work out in the pen there we can start calling their relievers Baltimore West.

Hah, their football team is already "Pittsburgh West". I guess they just love the Baltimore and Pittsburgh teams.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #7 by Old Sneakers » July 22nd, 2012, 1:15 am

We got some good innings from 3E. Far more than anyone ever thought he would give heading into 2009. So it didn't last long. So what? The man was never a lights out type of talent, but turned out to be a very nice return on the team's investment.

Personally I'm happy for the guy. If he didn't fit in well here I see no reason to hold him back. Good luck Brad Bergesen!
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

Return to Baltimore Orioles