Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Avery being optioned for Chavez makes little sense

Avery being optioned for Chavez makes little sense

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 12th, 2012, 10:19 pm

Before anyone says the reason Chavez is playing instead of Avery is because of the money -- I understand that.

What I fail to understand is that, if the goal is to win this season, why they continue to play Chavez over Avery. Avery would clearly help the team more.

If Duquette and Showalter want to win so badly that they are willing to give up part of the future for pieces to help this season, they should certainly be willing to cut Chavez and his $750,000 for the rest of the season.

If their goal is to win now, Chavez needs to go.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Avery being optioned for Chavez makes little sense

PostPost #2 by Tucker Blair » July 12th, 2012, 10:22 pm

It's the good ol' veteran theory.

Endy has been there, done that, and they expect him to rebound.
I think most agree (maybe everyone) that Avery is the better option.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #3 by Matt P » July 13th, 2012, 2:52 am

As much as I love Buck this is a horrible decision. He is the one that loves the veteran presence, track record, etc. He is very loyal to his players but I was hoping that this season he would play who deserved to play more than last season when he refused to move Vlad in the order. Thome was a Buck move and so was Endy and I believe both are bad moves.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #4 by birdwatcher55 » July 13th, 2012, 6:13 am

Why Jordan I thought you were a huge Endy fan :D ... Seriously you saw this one coming. I can only find one positive to this: he hit a HR in Tampa that helped Matusz get his last win in Baltimore. I too am dismayed over seeing Avery head back to Norfolk. The thought or illusion right now of seeing Avery and Nick bat 1-2 at the top of the lineup was intriguing. Ok Buck now let's see what we've got. Play your boy in LF and justify this move 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #5 by DougDE » July 15th, 2012, 8:00 am

Matt P wrote:As much as I love Buck this is a horrible decision. He is the one that loves the veteran presence, track record, etc

Yeah the only track record I thought Chavez had was every team he plays on deciding he's not a good major leaguer and cutting him. Very frustrating that the one year my favorite team is doing halfway decent, I still have to watch the likes of Endy Chavez play for them
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #6 by mikezpen » July 15th, 2012, 11:14 am

Apparently Chavez isn't going to play that much if yesterday's lineup is any indication.He's fine as a defensive replacement but no way s/he be starting.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

Return to Baltimore Orioles