Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

"Duquette would like to add a table-setter to top the lineup"

Re: "Duquette would like to add a table-setter to top the lineup"

PostPost #16 by OsFan2110EutawStreet » July 11th, 2012, 9:39 pm

Matt P wrote:Back to the discussion, I would love to get DeJesus. He was one of my top targets I was hoping they would sign this off season and I have no idea why they were never even linked to him. He gets on base and plays good defense aka exactly what the O's need.

Pretty much a perfect fit. And not to knock on Jonesy (fully believe he is capable of playing 162+ games a season) but he could spell him if need be. Also an insurance policy on him and Nick (who unfortunately has gotten bitten by the injury bug a little bit the last couple of years...let's hope that doesn't hang around...)

And he'll probably only cost a couple of prospects with the Cubs in rebuild mode. Perhaps something like Mahoney (who I'm personally not very high on, just my opinion though) and a High-A guy.
OsFan2110EutawStreet
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

PostPost #17 by Tucker Blair » July 11th, 2012, 9:39 pm

Matt P wrote:Back to the discussion, I would love to get DeJesus. He was one of my top targets I was hoping they would sign this off season and I have no idea why they were never even linked to him. He gets on base and plays good defense aka exactly what the O's need.

I have always been a fan of him too. Not sure how much he would cost, but I'd be fine with them going after him.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #18 by OsFan2110EutawStreet » July 11th, 2012, 9:44 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:It was the same thing with Adam Jones this off-season. As of now, it seems he took it to the next level.

True, true.

Trying to think of other possible options from "out of it" teams...unfortunately there's just not a lot of high OBP/good fielding LFs/third basemen that are available right now. I'd love to trade for somebody like Bourjos but good luck getting the Angels to part with him.
OsFan2110EutawStreet
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

PostPost #19 by Tucker Blair » July 11th, 2012, 9:49 pm

Well the problem is, with the new wild card, a lot of teams consider themselves still in it.

Teams like the A's, Diamondbacks, Orioles, Jays, Marlins think they still can make the playoffs even though they are not at the top of their league.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #20 by birdwatcher55 » July 12th, 2012, 5:33 am

I doubt seriously you're going to get a "tablesetter" at this point of the season. This does tell me however that Hardy is headed down in the lineup, which in itself is welcome news. It also tells me that Avery is likely here for the long haul. My quick fix would be to bat Avery and Nick 1-2. Maybe move Matt into the #3 hole and after Adam, you fill out the rest of the lineup LOL ...Hopefully the priority is starting pitching and 3B, especially 3B 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #21 by ofahn » July 12th, 2012, 7:42 am

Before we get too far down this road, don't we already have THREE Dexter Fowlers in our system? Avery from the left side and Hoes from the right. And then we just signed Henry Urrutia who could be Dexter Fowler in about two years.

Perhaps I'm in the minority here but I don't see this as a playoff season. I see it it as a chance to win 85 or so games and some respect, an opportunity to develop some of our young players, and give second tier "free" agents (the ones that actually take teams to the playoffs) a reason to come here. If we're going to spend any of our limited prospects maybe we should focus on a player(s) that will fill needs mid to long term.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #22 by osforlife » July 12th, 2012, 7:52 am

Somebody needs to tell DD that we aren't making the playoffs this year without ruining our farm system. It was fun while it lasted, but we have simply run out of bullets. Our bullpen is the only solid part of our team. People like Scutaro would improve our team, but to what extent? We are in second place, and that is a miracle by itself. But we are also 2.5 games from last place. If Tillman and Gonzalez pitch like their first outings for the rest of the season and our offense goes back to what it once was, then I'd feel alot more confident about our playoff chances and probably be in the discussion for trading for players that would benefit our team NOW. But for right now, I see a team that is 11th in runs, 9th in pitching(with an OUTSTANDING BULLPEN), and 1st in errors. Those stats were from the AL only. We already made a stupid trade in getting Thome. Don't make another one.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #23 by Rising O's » July 12th, 2012, 8:39 am

Gee, master of the obvious here. I mean it took until mid July for this to become a story? Plus Thome was not the answer? I'm shocked. And we've already gone through this with Markakis, history shows him to be a #2 hitter, but Buck will not move him there. It reminds me of Moneyball, where Howe refuses to listen to the suggestions of the GM Beane and in frustration the GM trades every option to force Howe's hand.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #24 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 12th, 2012, 10:42 am

ofahn wrote:Before we get too far down this road, don't we already have THREE Dexter Fowlers in our system? Avery from the left side and Hoes from the right. And then we just signed Henry Urrutia who could be Dexter Fowler in about two years.

Perhaps I'm in the minority here but I don't see this as a playoff season. I see it it as a chance to win 85 or so games and some respect, an opportunity to develop some of our young players, and give second tier "free" agents (the ones that actually take teams to the playoffs) a reason to come here. If we're going to spend any of our limited prospects maybe we should focus on a player(s) that will fill needs mid to long term.

That's how I see it, too.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #25 by birdwatcher55 » July 12th, 2012, 1:08 pm

Why all this love for Dexter Fowler????? :lol:
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #26 by OriolesRedskins28 » July 12th, 2012, 1:16 pm

CHASE HEADLEY!!! He could be a good table setter with his outstanding OBP. He could be a similar type of leadoff hitter that Nolan Reimold was but with a better OBP. AND he would improve the team's defense greatly. I love Schoop but would be willing to part with him for Headley. MAKE IT HAPPEN DD!
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #27 by ofahn » July 12th, 2012, 2:50 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:CHASE HEADLEY!!! He could be a good table setter with his outstanding OBP. He could be a similar type of leadoff hitter that Nolan Reimold was but with a better OBP. AND he would improve the team's defense greatly. I love Schoop but would be willing to part with him for Headley. MAKE IT HAPPEN DD!

Why offer our third (or fourth depending on how you evaluate) best prospect, and at a position we don't have a surplus of, for a very good player that the Padres MAY not have that strong a market for?

Before they collapsed I would have thought that the Phillies were the team that needed him the most and would pay a premium by the deadline, but they look to be sellers now. They might be interested again this Winter, but there's no guarantee.

Let's look at whivh teams NEED a 3B.

Boston - NOPE, they are happy with Middlebrooks.
Yankees - NOPE, Arod.
Tampa - Nope, Longoria.
Toronto - NOPE, just extended Encarnacion.
White Sox - Probably not. They'll give strong consideration to bringing back Youkilis.
Detroit - NOPE, Cabrera.
Cleveland - Maybe, but they have other holes to fill so they probably won't be willing to pay a premium for Headley.
KC - NOPE, Moustakas.
Minnesota - Maybe, but they have Trevor Plouffe that can play there and they also have too many holes to pay a premium for a position they can fill from within.
Angels - Maybe, but their farm system is almost dry and they have Callaspo to play there.
Oakland - Probably, but they're a team that looks for a bargain so I doubt they are willing to outbid anyone for a player. They also have Stephen Parker at AAA that they might want to give a chance before they "outsource".
Seattle - NOPE, they'll give Kyle Seeger a chance to show whether he should keep the job.
Atlanta - Maybe, because Chipper will retire, but they my want to allow Juan Fransico to earn the job.
Miami - NOPE, Ramirez.
Mets - NOPE, Wright.
Washington - NOPE, Zimmerman.
Cubs - Maybe, but they might allow Josh Vitters to show whether he's a ML player.
Reds - NOPE, Rolen's at the end of his string but Todd Frazier has been a solid player at 3B and will probably go into ST with job as his to lose.
Houston - NOPE, they have Chris Johnson and won't be paying a premium for any player while they're rebuilding.
Milwaukee - NOPE, Aramis Ramirez.
Pirates - NOPE, Pedro Alvarez.
Cards - NOPE, Freese.
Dodgers - Now THIS is a team that will need a 3B and don't have a ready prospect in their system; however, San Diego would probably prefer to trade outside of their division and league if they thought the offers were roughly the same.
Giants - Nope, Sandoval.
Arizona - This is a team that will need to find a 3B, but they may give Matt Davidson a shot in ST. AND they probably won't want to pay a premium to block Davidson if he's not ready in the Spring, AND San Diego would probably prefer to trade outside of their division and league if they thought the offers were roughly the same.
Colorado - Also a team that needs a 3B, but they have some in house solutions for 2013 and probably won't want to pay a premium to block Nolan Arenado who may be ML ready in mid 2013, AND San Diego would probably prefer to trade outside of their division and league if they thought the offers were roughly the same.

There's one more thing to consider: the Padres almost HAVE to trade Headley this Winter to open a spot for Jedd Gyorko. If they keep Headley once Gyorko takes over 3B they will have to move Headley to the OF where his trade value will be reduced by at least half. San Diego isn't going to GIVE Headley away but, IMO; an offer of Matusz, Hoes or Bridwell, and a lesser prospect MAY get this deal done now as the Padres MAY not get a better offer and they know it.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #28 by birdwatcher55 » July 12th, 2012, 5:49 pm

That's a lot of "nopes".. I would guess Headley would be an upgrade over half of those guys 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #29 by OriolesRedskins28 » July 12th, 2012, 9:25 pm

ofahn wrote:
Why offer our third (or fourth depending on how you evaluate) best prospect, and at a position we don't have a surplus of, for a very good player that the Padres MAY not have that strong a market for?

From MLBtraderumors.com:

"Chase Headley could be the most coveted player of the summer"

I would disagree with you on that one. Dodgers and Pirates have already been mentioned as having inquired on him already.

I would prefer to keep Schoop and I would hope that the offer you mentioned would be enough but f it came down to it I would be willing to include Schoop for Headley.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #30 by ofahn » July 12th, 2012, 9:31 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:I would be willing to include Schoop for Headley.

I wouldn't. At that point you would be robbing Peter to pay Paul.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles