Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Sign Cuban Outfielder Henry Urrutia

Re: Orioles Sign Cuban Outfielder Henry Urrutia

PostPost #16 by ofahn » July 12th, 2012, 7:51 am

Don wrote:Everyone has their right to two cents, but it would be nice to see them take a "wait and see".

Honestly, this guy never wowed me when I saw him this winter in shorts and t-shirt, but that does not mean he lacks value.

At best, he shows maybe 40-45 power and could be a light bat that could play a few days a week. I saw some okay pop in the cage, you never know if it could pop up when he sits 195 pounds and proper professional conditioning program. At worst, he may flame out in the 4A mold. Likely, he is a contact driven hitter that could be a useful slightly below level replacement player, high bench role player, 4th outfielder.

At 25, what you see is closely to what you get, but baseball always surprises me, would not be the first time, will not be the last. He has a good idea at the plate. If he finds a bit of pop or can become a doubles machine, there is value.

Crap for less than a million, who cares. It adds another piece into the fold. The more pieces you throw on the wall increase the chance that one sticks.

Plus, as some of you already said and what I stated earlier today, it shows the willingness to take some risk internationally. It is better to flame out than refuse to play the game.

When I read that we signed him I had three thoughts:

FINALLY. An International signing and he doesn't count against our 3.2M budget.
He'll probably never crack our OF.
He'll give us a solid trade chip about this time next year.

IMO a farm system exists for two reasons. First, to develop players for your team. Second, to develop players to TRADE for players for your team. If Urrutia's contribution to the Orioles is the latter he will be a good investment.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #17 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 12th, 2012, 10:41 am

ofahn wrote:
When I read that we signed him I had three thoughts:

FINALLY. An International signing and he doesn't count against our 3.2M budget.
He'll probably never crack our OF.
He'll give us a solid trade chip about this time next year.

IMO a farm system exists for two reasons. First, to develop players for your team. Second, to develop players to TRADE for players for your team. If Urrutia's contribution to the Orioles is the latter he will be a good investment.

He also makes it easier for them to trade Avery or Hoes.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #18 by Tucker Blair » July 12th, 2012, 11:43 am

I think you guys are really lowballing Fowler to be honest.
I also think that he would be a stupid acquisition putting aside my love for him.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #19 by ofahn » July 12th, 2012, 12:43 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:I think you guys are really lowballing Fowler to be honest.

Tucker,

I really respect your baseball opinion so I would appreciate you making your case for Fowler. What I see there is a solid player with good defensive skills, above average speed, an above average OBA, and mid range doubles power. What I don't see is a skill set better different (better) than Avery, Hoes, and MAYBE Urrutia.

Respectfully, what do you see that I don't?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles