Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Sign Cuban Outfielder Henry Urrutia

Orioles Sign Cuban Outfielder Henry Urrutia

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 11th, 2012, 3:43 pm

Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Orioles Sign Cuban Outfielder Henry Urrutia

PostPost #2 by Rising O's » July 11th, 2012, 5:53 pm

Welcome aboard.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #3 by birdwatcher55 » July 11th, 2012, 7:01 pm

Why am I not excited about this move?? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #4 by Tucker Blair » July 11th, 2012, 7:07 pm

I am happy for this signing.

A few things:

The Orioles need to start getting into these markets, regardless of whom they sign. ANY life in these markets is better than no life. It's not my money so why should I care how much they spend? It doesn't count towards the 2.9 mil signing bonus limit so it's not a bad signing by any means.

Anyone who shoots down this as a "bad" signing or saying he isn't worth what they gave, is simply saying they should not make any signings or attempt to get in any international markets. That is my honest take. Yes, you could argue they could be signing 15-20 guys for the amount they gave him. So what?

If he even sniffs the majors then it is successful. Just need to open these doors for the future.
anyways that is my rant!
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #5 by BuckMagic » July 11th, 2012, 7:35 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Why am I not excited about this move?? 8-)

Who said you were supposed to be excited?!!

It's a nice signing. Not special but a good sign nonetheless. :D
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #6 by BuckMagic » July 11th, 2012, 7:36 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:I am happy for this signing.

A few things:

The Orioles need to start getting into these markets, regardless of whom they sign. ANY life in these markets is better than no life. It's not my money so why should I care how much they spend? It doesn't count towards the 2.9 mil signing bonus limit so it's not a bad signing by any means.

Anyone who shoots down this as a "bad" signing or saying he isn't worth what they gave, is simply saying they should not make any signings or attempt to get in any international markets. That is my honest take. Yes, you could argue they could be signing 15-20 guys for the amount they gave him. So what?

If he even sniffs the majors then it is successful. Just need to open these doors for the future.
anyways that is my rant!

Anyone complaining is foolish. It even establishes further connections assuming he becomes successful!
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #7 by Tucker Blair » July 11th, 2012, 7:42 pm

There is just a crop of Orioles fans (not really anyone on Orioles Nation) that just complain about anything the Orioles do.
Especially on Twitter. It gets tiresome.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #8 by Shorebirdfan » July 11th, 2012, 9:13 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:There is just a crop of Orioles fans (not really anyone on Orioles Nation) that just complain about anything the Orioles do.
Especially on Twitter. It gets tiresome.

Think I've finally unfollowed most of them.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #9 by OsFan2110EutawStreet » July 11th, 2012, 9:15 pm

I like it. Even if he can only put together something like .280/15/70, that'd be perfectly fine by me. More importantly it means the new scouting team DD hired knows what they're doing. They certainly hit the nail on the head with Chen.
OsFan2110EutawStreet
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

PostPost #10 by Matt P » July 11th, 2012, 9:17 pm

OsFan2110EutawStreet wrote:I like it. Even if he can only put together something like .280/15/70, that'd be perfectly fine by me. More importantly it means the new scouting team DD hired knows what they're doing. They certainly hit the nail on the head with Chen.

Chen was scouted by the O's for years not just by Duquette.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #11 by Tucker Blair » July 11th, 2012, 9:18 pm

Matt P wrote:Chen was scouted by the O's for years not just by Duquette.

True. Although it probably does not happen if Andy is still there (assuming that he doesn't sign any international prospects like he always said). Although he did sign Koji so who knows.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #12 by Matt P » July 11th, 2012, 9:20 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:
True. Although it probably does not happen if Andy is still there (assuming that he doesn't sign any international prospects like he always said). Although he did sign Koji so who knows.

I'm not saying Duquette doesn't deserve credit for signing Chen, he definitely does. I just don't think he deserves all of the credit that he gets for Chen.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #13 by Tucker Blair » July 11th, 2012, 9:21 pm

Matt P wrote:I'm not saying Duquette doesn't deserve credit for signing Chen, he definitely does. I just don't think he deserves all of the credit that he gets for Chen.

yea I understood. I think a lot of people in general give TOO much credit to just one guy (AM, DD, etc).
there's a lot behind the scenes we never see.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #14 by Don » July 11th, 2012, 9:23 pm

Everyone has their right to two cents, but it would be nice to see them take a "wait and see".

Honestly, this guy never wowed me when I saw him this winter in shorts and t-shirt, but that does not mean he lacks value.

At best, he shows maybe 40-45 power and could be a light bat that could play a few days a week. I saw some okay pop in the cage, you never know if it could pop up when he sits 195 pounds and proper professional conditioning program. At worst, he may flame out in the 4A mold. Likely, he is a contact driven hitter that could be a useful slightly below level replacement player, high bench role player, 4th outfielder.

At 25, what you see is closely to what you get, but baseball always surprises me, would not be the first time, will not be the last. He has a good idea at the plate. If he finds a bit of pop or can become a doubles machine, there is value.

Crap for less than a million, who cares. It adds another piece into the fold. The more pieces you throw on the wall increase the chance that one sticks.

Plus, as some of you already said and what I stated earlier today, it shows the willingness to take some risk internationally. It is better to flame out than refuse to play the game.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #15 by OsFan2110EutawStreet » July 11th, 2012, 9:34 pm

Matt P wrote:Chen was scouted by the O's for years not just by Duquette.

Ah, ok. Still good that we signed him. Couldn't ask for much better out of your international guys (Ichiro doesn't count, he was the once in a generation find, lol.)
OsFan2110EutawStreet
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles