Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Teagarden and Chavez to be activated on Friday

Teagarden and Chavez to be activated on Friday

PostPost #1 by Matt P » July 10th, 2012, 10:05 pm

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orio ... um=twitter

So, two players will have to be sent down by Friday night's game as long as neither have a set back. Then, another player will need to be sent down before Sunday's game to make room for Tillman. Paulino and Tolleson are two obvious choices but it will be interesting to see who the other play sent down will be. I'm guessing it will be between Pearce and Avery.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Re: Teagarden and Chavez to be activated on Friday

PostPost #2 by OriolesRedskins28 » July 10th, 2012, 10:24 pm

If Chavez is recalled for Avery I am not going to be happy. Chavez does not bring anything positive to the team, he has a -1.2 WAR right now. -1.2! That's Felix Pie-esque.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 10th, 2012, 10:25 pm

Matt P wrote:So, two players will have to be sent down by Friday night's game as long as neither have a set back. Then, another player will need to be sent down before Sunday's game to make room for Tillman. Paulino and Tolleson are two obvious choices but it will be interesting to see who the other play sent down will be. I'm guessing it will be between Pearce and Avery.

Hoping it is Pearce. Even though Avery has been the guy the past few times, I think it's Pearce this time.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #4 by PC022 » July 10th, 2012, 10:29 pm

Does Pearce even have any options to be sent down?
PC022
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #5 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 10th, 2012, 10:33 pm

PC022 wrote:Does Pearce even have any options to be sent down?

He would have to be DFA'd.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #6 by ofahn » July 10th, 2012, 10:38 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:Hoping it is Pearce. Even though Avery has been the guy the past few times, I think it's Pearce this time.
`

Other than the money why is Reynolds still part of this team? The only place you can hide his glove is DH and we have Thome for that. If you keep Reynolds at 1B (even there the glove is shaky) where do you play Davis? LF? PAALLEEESSSEEE!!! You could make the argument to platoon Reynolds and Thome at DH but Pearce's splits against LH are MUCH better than Reynolds and Pearce can actually put on a glove without making the pitching staff cringe.

Avery may be the best lead off man we have right now and has the tools to become a pretty good one and he can play LF without causing our pitchers to take anti anxiety meds. Sending him down would be beyond stupid.

The question is simple: With Markakis back in RF where do you play Reynolds if you plan on keeping Davis and Avery in the lineup?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #7 by mikezpen » July 10th, 2012, 11:56 pm

Chavez isn't worth bringing back. Avery and Pearce are both contributing.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #8 by Tucker Blair » July 11th, 2012, 12:18 am

Chavez is staying whether everyone likes it or not unfortunately. I agree that I'd rather just have Avery do his job (which he could).

They like Chavez's glove and I would think that they assume the bat will pick up a little bit. Probably are asking a lot for Endy (he's a 4th OF at best at this stage of his career).

I also think they are going to option Avery. Just my hunch. Which I think everyone knows I do not like one bit.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #9 by OriolesRedskins28 » July 11th, 2012, 1:45 am

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Chavez is staying whether everyone likes it or not unfortunately. I agree that I'd rather just have Avery do his job (which he could).

They like Chavez's glove and I would think that they assume the bat will pick up a little bit. Probably are asking a lot for Endy (he's a 4th OF at best at this stage of his career).

I also think they are going to option Avery. Just my hunch. Which I think everyone knows I do not like one bit.

-1.2 WAR! Advanced metrics have Chavez as only average defensively right now, so he doesn't even have the "good glove" rep going for him.

My one and only complaint with Buck is his obsession with washed up veterans. First it was Guerrero and Derek Lee last year, and now it's Chavez and Thome. Guerrero and Lee aren't even playing in the majors this year! What does that tell you about their ability level at this stage in their career? I have a strong feeling that it will be the same situation with Chavez and Thome next year... Either Buck places far too much value in the experience those players bring to the table or Macphail and Duquette have left him no choice but either way it needs to stop. Replacement to sub-replacement level washed up veterans are not going to cut it if this team wants to win.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

PostPost #10 by mikezpen » July 11th, 2012, 9:23 am

If Chavez is brought back, Avery s/b the one to go so he can play regularly.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #11 by Tucker Blair » July 11th, 2012, 11:10 am

Important to remember that WAr and especially WAR involving defense is still flawed.
From the eye test Chavez has played defense well. I cannot knock him on that. He's probably the best defensive option the Orioles have for LF.

However, his bat is worse than Avery/Pearce/etc.
it could get better, but it's one of the more "hollow" averages. He hit over .300 last year but it wasn't a "strong" .300 if that makes any sense.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #12 by ofahn » July 11th, 2012, 11:55 am

TuckerBlair89 wrote:He hit over .300 last year but it wasn't a "strong" .300 if that makes any sense.

It's the same problem Rod Carew had at the end of his career.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by Tucker Blair » July 11th, 2012, 11:58 am

ofahn wrote:
It's the same problem Rod Carew had at the end of his career.

Well even then he still got on base at a decent clip.
Chavez had an OBP around .320 (!)
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #14 by ofahn » July 11th, 2012, 12:37 pm

Some of the team's recent personnel decisions seem pretty boneheaded, but even in their boneheadedness they aren't consistent.

If they option Avery the only other players still on the roster that have seen much time at Leadoff are Andino and Chavez. Both currently have HORRIBLE OPSs and neither appear to have the tools to improve on that. At least Avery does.

If they're keeping Chavez for his glove then why keep Reynolds. There's virtually NO chance the team will pick up his option for next year. If they want to keep the best LH OF bat then Avery is an easy choice, and that's before you consider his glove is almost as good as Chavez's and just needs more playing time to improve.

Endy Chavez is almost certainly NOT going to be part of this team next year, but Avery IS. Why not just play Avery and see what we have?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by OriolesRedskins28 » July 11th, 2012, 7:12 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:From the eye test Chavez has played defense well. I cannot knock him on that. He's probably the best defensive option the Orioles have for LF.

Respectfully disagree. To me Chavez has looked pretty slow in the outfield and it seems like he's lost a step which is no surprise considering his "advanced" age.

Even if he did play good defense he would still be a negative WAR player at this point and is replacement level at best. Not even good enough for a fourth OF.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles