Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

All Star break offensive statistics

All Star break offensive statistics

PostPost #1 by Matt P » July 10th, 2012, 4:45 pm

I made a thread at the beginning of June stating even though the team was 6th in runs scored the offense was awful. Well, here are the stats now at the All Star break.

351 runs (11th in AL)
.240 average (11th in AL)
.302 on base percentage (12th in AL)
.704 on base + slugging (11th in AL)
106 home runs (3rd in AL)
690 strike outs (2nd in AL)
31 stolen bases (14th in AL)
85 double plays grounded into (1st in AL)
.243 average with runners in scoring position (12th in AL)
.216 average with runners in scoring position and 2 outs (12th in AL)

So, the offense is even worse now than it was when I originally made that thread. Just like last thread the only things they are good at is hitting home runs, striking out, and hitting into double plays. They did improve their average with runners in scoring position and 2 outs at least.

I know a lot of people are enamored with adding starting pitching but I still believe that they need hitting much more than pitching. Look at these stats and then think about how awful the defense is and one should realize that adding a guy like Chase Headley would be much more beneficial than any starters the O's have a realistic shot at trading for (Dempster, Saunders, etc.)
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Re: All Star break offensive statistics

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 10th, 2012, 5:35 pm

If Tillman can pitch like a #3 or #4 pitcher and Gonzalez hangs on as a solid #5 I think offense is the bigger priority. However, if they continue to lack consistency behind Chen and Hammel then pitching is obviously the bigger concern.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by ofahn » July 10th, 2012, 7:07 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:If Tillman can pitch like a #3 or #4 pitcher and Gonzalez hangs on as a solid #5 I think offense is the bigger priority. However, if they continue to lack consistency behind Chen and Hammel then pitching is obviously the bigger concern.

Absolutely agree with what you're saying; however, my question would be this: should we be addressing those issues DURING this season, which will cost us more; or AFTER the season which will cost us less.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 10th, 2012, 7:10 pm

ofahn wrote:
Absolutely agree with what you're saying; however, my question would be this: should we be addressing those issues DURING this season, which will cost us more; or AFTER the season which will cost us less.

I personally believe the O's shouldn't make anymore trades this season.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by Matt P » July 10th, 2012, 9:03 pm

I wouldn't mind if they didn't make any more trades. I would rather see Tillman, Britton, Gonzalez, Arrieta, or Matusz than a Joe Saunders type guy for the rest of the season. The one guy who I really would like to see them make a move for is Chase Headley who I've been talking about for months now. He would really be a perfect fit. However, if they feel Machado is going to be ready for Opening Day next season I wouldn't mind if they decided to stick with what they have now.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 10th, 2012, 9:12 pm

Matt P wrote:I wouldn't mind if they didn't make any more trades. I would rather see Tillman, Britton, Gonzalez, Arrieta, or Matusz than a Joe Saunders type guy for the rest of the season. The one guy who I really would like to see them make a move for is Chase Headley who I've been talking about for months now. He would really be a perfect fit. However, if they feel Machado is going to be ready for Opening Day next season I wouldn't mind if they decided to stick with what they have now.

If they make any big trade, I agree, I'd prefer it be for Headley. I don't think Machado will be ready for opening day next season, but he should be up in the first half next year.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by ofahn » July 10th, 2012, 9:18 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I don't think Machado will be ready for opening day next season, but he should be up in the first half next year.

That's the reason I'd be willing to trade Hardy by the deadline. We're going to have to move him at some point for Machado, his value will never be higher than this July, and what we get for him would be about what we'd have to give up for Headley.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 10th, 2012, 9:19 pm

ofahn wrote:
That's the reason I'd be willing to trade Hardy by the deadline. We're going to have to move him at some point for Machado, his value will never be higher than this July, and what we get for him would be about what we'd have to give up for Headley.

This all makes it even worse that they didn't deal him last year. They probably could've gotten a B+ guy in return.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by Matt P » July 10th, 2012, 9:43 pm

Why do you guys want to trade Hardy? I would rather him at 3B or SS next year than anyone who is going to be a FA this off season. There is no SS or 3B in the system that will be challenging for a spot in the next few years other than Machado. He's an incredible defensive player who has good power. He's not a top or middle of the order hitter but him hitting at the bottom of the order with his power potential and great defense is pretty good value for $7M per season.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 10th, 2012, 9:58 pm

Matt P wrote:Why do you guys want to trade Hardy? I would rather him at 3B or SS next year than anyone who is going to be a FA this off season. There is no SS or 3B in the system that will be challenging for a spot in the next few years other than Machado. He's an incredible defensive player who has good power. He's not a top or middle of the order hitter but him hitting at the bottom of the order with his power potential and great defense is pretty good value for $7M per season.

I don't want them to trade him now. Last year it would have been a good idea.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by OriolesRedskins28 » July 10th, 2012, 10:26 pm

Trading for Headley would greatly improve the defense which would indirectly improve the pitchers' statistics.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #12 by ofahn » July 10th, 2012, 10:40 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:Trading for Headley would greatly improve the defense which would indirectly improve the pitchers' statistics.

No truer words were ever uttered.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by ofahn » July 10th, 2012, 10:43 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:This all makes it even worse that they didn't deal him last year. They probably could've gotten a B+ guy in return.

I could see the Nats giving up either Rendon or Meyer for him. He may be the last piece of their puzzle this year and they could justify the cost because he would be affordable for two more years.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 10th, 2012, 10:46 pm

ofahn wrote:
I could see the Nats giving up either Rendon or Meyer for him. He may be the last piece of their puzzle this year and they could justify the cost because he would be affordable for two more years.

Why would the Nats want Hardy?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by ofahn » July 10th, 2012, 10:58 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:Why would the Nats want Hardy?

Because Desmond at 2B and Hardy at SS might give them the best combo of offense and defense. Having Hardy's veteran presence through the playoffs instead of Lombardozzi and/or Espinosa is just a bonus. The Nats are certainly not desperate to make that move, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they have at least called about Hardy.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles