Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

If It Cost The Same Would You Rather Have Grienke or Headley?

Re: If It Cost The Same Would You Rather Have Grienke or Headley?

PostPost #31 by ofahn » July 17th, 2012, 5:22 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:I just think they could settle for Reynolds/whatever at 3B as ugly as it sounds.

Do you still feel that way?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #32 by mikezpen » July 22nd, 2012, 12:59 pm

Read that Greinke will turn down a 5-$112.5 million offer from the Brewers and w/go free agency.I guess that kills any chances of our making a move in his direction this season.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #33 by dan72 » July 23rd, 2012, 10:53 am

Headley for Matusz and a c level prospect... I would take that deal all day long. I think it will take more that that. July trades cost a premium and I think the Padres would want a high level prospect packaged with Matusz. Just speculating but I would think Schoop would have to be in the deal
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #34 by ofahn » July 23rd, 2012, 11:26 am

dan72 wrote:Headley for Matusz and a c level prospect... I would take that deal all day long. I think it will take more that that. July trades cost a premium and I think the Padres would want a high level prospect packaged with Matusz. Just speculating but I would think Schoop would have to be in the deal

I would include Hoes because we can replace him, but I wouldn't include Schoop because we can't. If the Padres can get a better deal then they should take it and we'll look for another 3B. IMO we're the only team that sees Headley as a PRIORITY. The two or three other teams that have shown interest in him see him as a secondary need behind pitching. There is no reason for us to be bidding against ourselves.

At the risk of starting an argument, I don't see pitching as our priority. We have the resources in our system to fill that need. Frankly, if Rick Peterson can't straighten out the kids (and he's showing signs that he can) then NO SINGLE PLAYER that we add will make us a playoff team. IMO we should be looking to build towards 2014. If that ride includes a winning season, or even a playoff appearance this year, it's just a bonus.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #35 by thezeroes » July 24th, 2012, 5:06 pm

ofahn wrote:At the risk of starting an argument, I don't see pitching as our priority. We have the resources in our system to fill that need. Frankly, if Rick Peterson can't straighten out the kids (and he's showing signs that he can) then NO SINGLE PLAYER that we add will make us a playoff team. IMO we should be looking to build towards 2014. If that ride includes a winning season, or even a playoff appearance this year, it's just a bonus.

No argument from me on this scenario. The improvement in Tillman, Miguel Gonzalez and Miguel Socolovich gives hope for Matusz, Arrieta and Others. The issue may be that these latter mentioned players do not want to buy into the program. Without their due-diligence the program becomes irrelevant. Then I would move them along to another team if they do not want to become part of the program.

Has Steve Johnson been part of this program or is his improvement just age related?? (experience)
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles