Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

If It Cost The Same Would You Rather Have Grienke or Headley?

If It Cost The Same Would You Rather Have Grienke or Headley?

PostPost #1 by ofahn » July 8th, 2012, 12:00 pm

If you could have three months of Grienke or two and one half years of Headley and the cost in players was the same; which one would you want and WHY?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: If It Cost The Same Would You Rather Have Grienke or Headley?

PostPost #2 by DougDE » July 8th, 2012, 12:39 pm

I think the years for Headley make him the pick for me. I usually would lean towards the pitcher but 3b has been so bad for us and Headley could sure that up for a while. We'd probably just be renting Greinke for 13-15 starts or so
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #3 by osforlife » July 8th, 2012, 12:58 pm

Headley. We don't have any legit 3B prospects in the system besides Exposito and there are questions about his bat and he would still be a ways away anyway(try saying that 5 times fast LOL). Delmonico doesn't look like he's gonna be playing much 3B, Kelly and Wheeler are probably B level prospects at best. Headley would shore up Third for awhile.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #4 by Shorebirdfan » July 8th, 2012, 1:05 pm

I'd have to go with Headley also based on the time left under team control. Outside of the possibility of Machado outgrowing the SS position and being forced to 3B there is nothing on the horizon. Do we need help with pitching, yes, but I am against the rent a player situation when you are looking to make a long term turn around. To me that works when you are the aging club looking to make a final run.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #5 by OriolesRedskins28 » July 8th, 2012, 4:22 pm

Headley. No question. Greinke is a frontline starter and the O's would look to extend him but even in that scenario Headley represents better value. His defense and solid approach alone combined with his low salary number and the fact that he is under team control for a couple more years makes him a very appealing option. That is not even considering the almost guaranteed boost in power with the move from Petco to Camden and lineup protection. He could be a star in Baltimore.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #6 by birdwatcher55 » July 8th, 2012, 6:42 pm

No brainer: Headley. We are desperate for a legitimate third baseman. There can be no debate on the seriousness of this need 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #7 by Tucker Blair » July 8th, 2012, 6:44 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:No brainer: Headley. We are desperate for a legitimate third baseman. There can be no debate on the seriousness of this need 8-)

The Orioles are also desperate for a legitimate SP. I think there very well could be a debate.

I just think this question is twisted to where one obviously would choose headley. But in reality I'd rather have Greinke (of course you said without extension so that doesn't work for this question)

And that's not a knock Ofahn. I actually think Headley is a very reasonable and needy option for the Orioles. I just think they could settle for Reynolds/whatever at 3B as ugly as it sounds.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #8 by ofahn » July 8th, 2012, 7:51 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:
birdwatcher55 wrote:No brainer: Headley. We are desperate for a legitimate third baseman. There can be no debate on the seriousness of this need 8-)

The Orioles are also desperate for a legitimate SP. I think there very well could be a debate.

I just think this question is twisted to where one obviously would choose headley. But in reality I'd rather have Greinke (of course you said without extension so that doesn't work for this question)

And that's not a knock Ofahn. I actually think Headley is a very reasonable and needy option for the Orioles. I just think they could settle for Reynolds/whatever at 3B as ugly as it sounds.

I will admit that I was not being "fair and balanced" when I posed the question but I felt it placed the issue in context: If it would cost us about the same, which player would we rather have.

If we could sign Grienke for 3 yrs and 36M this off season I would see that as a good risk/investment, but I think we all know this his asking price as a "free" agent or for a contract extension will be FAR beyond that. Other than CC Sabathia can anyone name one pitcher that signed as a "free" agent that is still considered front line after four years? The last SP trade with a big contract extension that I can think of was for Johan Santana. That has NOT been a bargain for the Mets, and Santana is a MUCH better pitcher than Grienke.

For me, it all comes down to this - Headley fixes a problem that we don't have a solution for in our farm system. We MIGHT have a solution for a SP. I just don't think we should be mortgaging the future for a team that may struggle to stay above .500. IMO we should be adding the pieces that will allow us to be a legitimate contender around 2014.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by Tucker Blair » July 8th, 2012, 8:10 pm

ofahn wrote:
TuckerBlair89 wrote:

I will admit that I was not being "fair and balanced" when I posed the question but I felt it placed the issue in context: If it would cost us about the same, which player would we rather have.

If we could sign Grienke for 3 yrs and 36M this off season I would see that as a good risk/investment, but I think we all know this his asking price as a "free" agent or for a contract extension will be FAR beyond that. Other than CC Sabathia can anyone name one pitcher that signed as a "free" agent that is still considered front line after four years? The last SP trade with a big contract extension that I can think of was for Johan Santana. That has NOT been a bargain for the Mets, and Santana is a MUCH better pitcher than Grienke.

For me, it all comes down to this - Headley fixes a problem that we don't have a solution for in our farm system. We MIGHT have a solution for a SP. I just don't think we should be mortgaging the future for a team that may struggle to stay above .500. IMO we should be adding the pieces that will allow us to be a legitimate contender around 2014.

I actually understand what you are saying.
The only thing is I'm thinking from the Padres case and see no reason why they would trade Headley without getting a top tier package for him. I don't think the Orioles can offer a top tier packaged without overpaying.
Greinke might honestly be the same case.

I do think this team is probably better waiting until 2014 to act as "contenders". I still can't decide whether they truly are.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #10 by ofahn » July 8th, 2012, 8:26 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:The only thing is I'm thinking from the Padres case and see no reason why they would trade Headley without getting a top tier package for him. I don't think the Orioles can offer a top tier packaged without overpaying.
Greinke might honestly be the same case.

I do think this team is probably better waiting until 2014 to act as "contenders". I still can't decide whether they truly are.

Of course, any trade has to make sense for both sides. If we're going to pay a heavy price for a player (Machado, Bundy, and Schoop HAVE to be off limits) it should be for something we really need and can't matriculate from our farm system in the near future. The FO must decide how far they're willing to go for Headley and hold the line there. It would also mitigate the cost if we were to trade Jim Johnson for about the same level of talent we traded for Headley. Johnson is replaceable within our system.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by mikezpen » July 9th, 2012, 2:16 am

Greinke. If you can get a TOR pitcher, you're foolish not to-unless the cost is prohibitive.Pitching is most of the game, and if he is available, you spring.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

PostPost #12 by birdwatcher55 » July 9th, 2012, 5:16 am

Putting Reynolds back at 3B would be a massive screwup by this organization. Go get Headley, solidify the defense and then worry about the pitching. We need to stop making errors and give what pitching we have a chance to compete 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by osforlife » July 9th, 2012, 7:47 am

Actually, can I say neither? We shouldn't be buyers. We limped into the all-star break. But if you would have told me the Orioles were going to be 5 games above .500 in March, I'd take that in a heart-beat. This team isn't going to make the playoffs- so either blow it up or give me a .500 season.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #14 by ofahn » July 9th, 2012, 8:39 am

osforlife wrote:Actually, can I say neither? We shouldn't be buyers. We limped into the all-star break. But if you would have told me the Orioles were going to be 5 games above .500 in March, I'd take that in a heart-beat. This team isn't going to make the playoffs- so either blow it up or give me a .500 season.

The reason I would be willing to use some of the limited resources we have for Headley is that he would fix a serious problem through 2014.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by dan72 » July 9th, 2012, 8:46 am

Headley only in this scenario.
If an extension for Greinke were in play than I would go with Greinke. Greinke is an elite starting pitcher which we have not had since Mike Mussina. Good pitching typically beats good hitting and pitching is what we need. The corner infield needs are apparent, and we can fill those spots through trade or free agency.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles