Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Roberts to the DL, Avery recalled

Roberts to the DL, Avery recalled

PostPost #1 by Matt P » July 3rd, 2012, 8:10 pm

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roc ... -team.html

This may be a blessing in disguise. Roberts has not been hitting and Avery dramatically improves the defense in left field.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Re: Roberts to the DL, Avery recalled

PostPost #2 by osforlife » July 3rd, 2012, 8:24 pm

I like that Avery is up but I hope all this up and down does not effect his development. Plus, his options would be dwindling down if we keep doing this.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #3 by Matt P » July 3rd, 2012, 8:25 pm

I believe only one option is used per season.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #4 by osforlife » July 3rd, 2012, 8:46 pm

Matt P wrote:believe only one option is used per season.

is it really? I've said many times that contracts and stuff like that are my worst subject in baseball lol.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #5 by Matt P » July 3rd, 2012, 9:41 pm

Yeah, it's only one per year.
When a player is added to a 40-man roster for the first time, the major league team is permitted three optional assignments of his contract, or three "option years." This gives them the option to assign that player to the minor leagues without requiring him to clear waivers. For each season thereafter in which the player is assigned to a minor league team, one option is used up.

When a player is out of options, he can still be assigned to the minor leagues, but first he must clear waivers.

A player can receive a fourth option if he has less than five seasons of pro experience. Draftees who immediately sign a major league contract will qualify unless they reach the majors quickly and stick there. Otherwise, they'll have their three options exhausted after their first three years in pro ball. A season is defined as any year in which the player spends 90 days on the active list. Short-season and Rookie leagues don't last 90 calendar days, so a player assigned to those leagues for an entire year won't accrue a season of pro experience. Also if a player has a long-term injury, he usually won't be credited for a season that year. (The exception is if he goes on the disabled list after spending 60 days on an active list, in which case the DL time counts as service time.)

http://www.baseballamerica.com/help/faq.html#opt
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by Rising O's » July 3rd, 2012, 10:33 pm

2 hits. Hope he tries to steal because the offense sucks.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #7 by birdwatcher55 » July 4th, 2012, 12:17 am

Put this kid in LF and forget about it!!!! 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #8 by Tucker Blair » July 4th, 2012, 2:23 am

I get tired of saying it, but Avery is clearly the best option for LF. And not only that, a damn good one.

I didn't even watch the game tonight ( Can't watch em all!) and I know he probably helped in some aspect.
The guy has been a force this season.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #9 by Matt P » July 4th, 2012, 4:08 am

I think the most impressive thing that Avery has done is produce at AAA after being demoted twice. I know his second demotion was only for 1 game but he sure made the most of it. I don't know if he is the cure for the top of the order but at worst he should be the #9 hitter for the rest of the season even if he begins to struggle like he did in his first appearance in Baltimore. Let him play through it and figure it out if not for the fact he has potential for the fact he is the best defensive LF on the team. If he could add the bunt to his arsenal he could be great in that #9 spot. I know it's been stated that 2 years ago he had no idea how to bunt and he has come a very long way but the few times I have seen him attempt it he did not look good.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by Shorebirdfan » July 4th, 2012, 7:15 am

Bottom line is that having X in LF takes away most of the stupid poor play we have been seeing out there. His speed at the top of the order also changes the teams offensive make up. Is he still going to perform like a rookie (no Trout/Harper category)? Sure he is. Still the best overall option we have.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

Return to Baltimore Orioles