Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Blow It Up?

Re: Blow It Up?

PostPost #16 by OriolesRedskins28 » July 5th, 2012, 12:04 pm

ofahn wrote:
Rising O's wrote:there are some very interesting free agent pitchers who are going to be available

I'd prefer to avoid any over priced "free" agents that come with long term commitments. One or two year deals.

Agreed!
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #17 by Rising O's » July 5th, 2012, 7:21 pm

Same folks that said no to an Adam Jones extension before the season? You have to take risks if we are going to beat the Yankees.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #18 by A_K » July 5th, 2012, 7:31 pm

Rising O's wrote:Same folks that said no to an Adam Jones extension before the season? You have to take risks if we are going to beat the Yankees.

Doesn't trading productive major leaguers for unproven minor leaguers qualify as "taking a risk"?
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #19 by ofahn » July 5th, 2012, 8:41 pm

Rising O's wrote:Same folks that said no to an Adam Jones extension before the season? You have to take risks if we are going to beat the Yankees.

I thought giving Jones an extension this winter was a bad idea because I saw a player with some serious flaws in his game. By the time they actually signed him he had improved his game significantly. He's still a flawed player but I am optimistic that he will continue to improve.

IMO the difference between signing Jones to a market (or slightly higher) rate contract and a "free" agent from another team is that Jones was known quantity with a history of playing in our stadium with our players and we bought out his peal performance years. Signing a player from a different team or league to a contract 20 to 30% above market rate for two or three years beyond their peak performance curve is not my idea of a wise use of the limited money this team is willing to spend. I would rather use that money to keep guys like Wieters, and trade for good players with one or two years left on their contracts that their teams can't afford anymore.

Peter Angelos is NOT going to throw money at this team like the Angels, Tigers, Sux, or Spankees. Has anyone else noticed that we have not announced even ONE International signing since July 2nd. I wonder if we have spent any of the 3.2M allowed for that.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #20 by Rising O's » July 5th, 2012, 10:54 pm

The Orioles trading for minor league talent is a big risk. The Orioles do not have the minor league and international development track record to match up with the Yankees. You can go for broke and trade everyone with value right now and just hope the player development people can somehow exceed expectations, but who really believes they can?
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #21 by Rising O's » July 5th, 2012, 10:58 pm

But imo the Orioles may have gotten lucky with that extension. The perfect storm of great pitching, timely hitting, and the Yankees losing left the Orioles flying high. If they were playing like they have been the last month do they make the deal? Does Jones even want to?

I wondered if the Wada injury would scare Peter off. Most said "no way" but I'm still wondering.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #22 by OriolesRedskins28 » July 6th, 2012, 1:09 am

ofahn wrote:I thought giving Jones an extension this winter was a bad idea because I saw a player with some serious flaws in his game. By the time they actually signed him he had improved his game significantly. He's still a flawed player but I am optimistic that he will continue to improve.

IMO the difference between signing Jones to a market (or slightly higher) rate contract and a "free" agent from another team is that Jones was known quantity with a history of playing in our stadium with our players and we bought out his peal performance years. Signing a player from a different team or league to a contract 20 to 30% above market rate for two or three years beyond their peak performance curve is not my idea of a wise use of the limited money this team is willing to spend. I would rather use that money to keep guys like Wieters, and trade for good players with one or two years left on their contracts that their teams can't afford anymore.

Peter Angelos is NOT going to throw money at this team like the Angels, Tigers, Sux, or Spankees. Has anyone else noticed that we have not announced even ONE International signing since July 2nd. I wonder if we have spent any of the 3.2M allowed for that.

Preach it!
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #23 by birdwatcher55 » July 14th, 2012, 8:47 am

Time to fire sale it. Open for business: Hardy and Johnson. What are my offers??? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #24 by Shorebirdfan » July 14th, 2012, 12:06 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Time to fire sale it. Open for business: Hardy and Johnson. What are my offers??? 8-)

Not sure I'm quite ready for the fire sale (but I'm certainly listening to offers for someone to impress me). I think it is however time to put away the checkbook. The buyers market is closed.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #25 by Matt P » July 15th, 2012, 8:17 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Time to fire sale it. Open for business: Hardy and Johnson. What are my offers??? 8-)

I would think that Johnson should net a top 100 prospect.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #26 by birdwatcher55 » July 17th, 2012, 4:51 am

Does anyone doubt we are sellers now after last night??? :(
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles