Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

How can they continue to not care about defense?

How can they continue to not care about defense?

PostPost #1 by Matt P » July 3rd, 2012, 3:33 am

As usual an Orioles pitcher needs to throw more pitches than he should have due to bad defense. Misplays that aren't ruled errors have become an everyday occurence with this team. Combine that with the fact they lead the league in errors and this team is just embarrassing to watch defensively.

It really bothers me when I see Chris Davis RF, Steve Pearce LF, Ryan Flaherty RF, etc. in the lineup. The pitchers know chances are if the ball is hit to 3B, LF, or RF that it will be misplayed. On top of that, Andino has made some really horrible plays at 2B this year and Roberts doesn't look like he has any range at all. The pitchers have so much pressure on them knowing if they don't get a strike out, a ground ball to short, or a fly ball to CF that anything can happen.

How much longer will they continue to ignore this? The pitchers can't be properly assessed when the defense continues to make them throw more pitches than necessary and they have no faith in their defense to make plays behind them.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Re: How can they continue to not care about defense?

PostPost #2 by OriolesRedskins28 » July 3rd, 2012, 11:11 am

Matt P wrote:
How much longer will they continue to ignore this? The pitchers can't be properly assessed when the defense continues to make them throw more pitches than necessary and they have no faith in their defense to make plays behind them.

I couldn't agree more. Bad defense makes the pitchers look bad and puts more pressure on them. After the break it should be Avery Jones Markakis in the outfield so that will be improved but third base is a black hole at this point. The only players who can really play there are Andino and Flaherty neither of whom can hit at all let alone well enough to profile at 3B.

I've said it before the one thing I want in a trade is a third baseman who can play defense. Even if it's someone who can't hit well like Brandon Inge, at least he can hit better than Andino and Flaherty for goodness sakes.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Re: How can they continue to not care about defense?

PostPost #3 by wingman12333 » July 3rd, 2012, 11:29 am

I don't care if they bring up Hoes and Avery to play the corners, because they already know what Pearce is. The two younger guys could spark this team with much needed defense and speed. This team is lacking speed and Hoes and Avery could possibly prevent double plays.
wingman12333
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Return to Baltimore Orioles