Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Avery could be the spark

Avery could be the spark

PostPost #1 by dan72 » July 1st, 2012, 7:15 am

Xavier Avery could be the spark this team needs. The Nationals and Angels have benefited from from calling up super prospects Harper and Trout. No doubt those guys are better hitters than Avery. Avery plays a solid LF, seems to have improved his aptience at the plate, has plus plus speed, and does the little things you need to do to win. Avery can advance runners when needed, he doesn't strike out as much as the whiff club (Reynolds, Davis, Andino and Betemit).
In Norfolk Avery was to that team what Jones has been to the Orioles.
He has moved quickly through the minors, it will be interesting to see how he hits. He can't do any worse than some of the other guys on the roster.
His play last night in the first inning was amazing. I gave him no chance to run down that ball, but he did and he nearly double up the runner from first with a nice strong throw.
When Nick comes back I hope he stays up, I think he has a lot to offer. There are several other guys on the roster that need to go...Gregg, Flaherty etc....
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Re: Avery could be the spark

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 1st, 2012, 10:47 am

dan72 wrote:Xavier Avery could be the spark this team needs. The Nationals and Angels have benefited from from calling up super prospects Harper and Trout. No doubt those guys are better hitters than Avery. Avery plays a solid LF, seems to have improved his aptience at the plate, has plus plus speed, and does the little things you need to do to win. Avery can advance runners when needed, he doesn't strike out as much as the whiff club (Reynolds, Davis, Andino and Betemit).
In Norfolk Avery was to that team what Jones has been to the Orioles.
He has moved quickly through the minors, it will be interesting to see how he hits. He can't do any worse than some of the other guys on the roster.
His play last night in the first inning was amazing. I gave him no chance to run down that ball, but he did and he nearly double up the runner from first with a nice strong throw.
When Nick comes back I hope he stays up, I think he has a lot to offer. There are several other guys on the roster that need to go...Gregg, Flaherty etc....

Well, not anymore. He's been optioned. Only because Pearce can't be.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » July 1st, 2012, 12:35 pm

Lol this team.

I don't get it
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #4 by OriolesRedskins28 » July 1st, 2012, 4:55 pm

Is Pearce really worth that much to the organization? I know it's only for a couple weeks but the kid just hit his first ML home run and made a sensational catch in LF on Saturday, why do that to him?
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #5 by Rising O's » July 2nd, 2012, 8:12 am

I guess DD likes getting a bunch of spare parts that don't really fit together but look good when polished up? :?
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #6 by A_K » July 2nd, 2012, 11:12 am

Just as I started thinking, "Well, maybe this Duquette bastard is on to something," the team started losing followed by a flurry of moves I can't begin to understand.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #7 by Tucker Blair » July 2nd, 2012, 11:20 am

A_K wrote:Just as I started thinking, "Well, maybe this Duquette bastard is on to something," the team started losing followed by a flurry of moves I can't begin to understand.

I can KINDA see where he is going, but the path getting there is simply throwing me off.
Avery should not have been sent down. I don't think anyone can change my opinion on that (sorry! just some things you need to stick your guns to).

I know they are waiting to make certain moves after they see where the team is in contention after the break. But they will not be in contention with the way things are going. So essentially they are just waiting out the inevitable. That is rather maddening.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #8 by A_K » July 2nd, 2012, 12:05 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:e

I'd be fine with waiting out the inevitable, even if I'd prefer an honest rebuild. Waiting would mean losing an opportunity to trade a few veterans for prospects, but at least it wouldn't have included trading one of our ten best prospects for a 41-year-old DH on a three month rental.

While DD has certainly shown a willingness to go out and make a deal, he strikes me as unnecessarily willing to part with prospects. The Hammel-Lidstrom-Guthrie trade has brought an impressive return. The Teagarden and Thome trades suggest a guy who decided he wanted something and didn't have much issue letting go of young minor leaguers. Negotiations are complicated, there's always more to a story than comes out in the press, there's no telling what the team's perspective on a particular player is, or whether the league agrees with the media consensus, etc. etc., but it's altogether impossible to understand why Jim Thome is worth two potential major leaguers.

Couple that with the demotion of Xavier Avery and I've totally lost my grasp of the team's short- and long-term objectives.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #9 by Tucker Blair » July 2nd, 2012, 12:09 pm

A_K wrote:
TuckerBlair89 wrote:e

I'd be fine with waiting out the inevitable, even if I'd prefer an honest rebuild. Waiting would mean losing an opportunity to trade a few veterans for prospects, but at least it wouldn't have included trading one of our ten best prospects for a 41-year-old DH on a three month rental.

While DD has certainly shown a willingness to go out and make a deal, he strikes me as unnecessarily willing to part with prospects. The Hammel-Lidstrom-Guthrie trade has brought an impressive return. The Teagarden and Thome trades suggest a guy who decided he wanted something and didn't have much issue letting go of young minor leaguers. Negotiations are complicated, there's always more to a story than comes out in the press, there's no telling what the team's perspective on a particular player is, or whether the league agrees with the media consensus, etc. etc., but it's altogether impossible to understand why Jim Thome is worth two potential major leaguers.

Couple that with the demotion of Xavier Avery and I've totally lost my grasp of the team's short- and long-term objectives.

spot on.
I usually try and do a wait-and-see approach, so I'll end up doing that once again.
Just not sure what to think right now. Still seems like the same "partial rebuilding" when looking at the big picture.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #10 by EmeraldHorse » July 2nd, 2012, 1:19 pm

A_K wrote:

Though it's been said that Machado and Bundy are untouchable, I no longer actually believe that. I don't understand how Duquette can honestly, objectively look at this team and think that it's a true playoff contender and that they should be buyers and not sellers. Jake Arrieta, whom many on this board believe should be demoted, is now the third best SP. In fact, the Orioles really only have three SP on the major league roster right now unless you count Eveland or Gonzalez. They have one real OF unless you count Pearce. They have no one who can offer even league average offense and defense at either of the corner IF positons and none of those redundant players can hit enough to have value at DH. Roberts will likely be below average for the rest of the season. How can he look at this group and think that buying anything for any price is the right direction?

I have a bad feeling that Duquette will wind up trading Schoop, Bridwell, and Delmonico for a rental pitcher and the O's end up battling Toronto for fourth place by mid-August. If 4 out of 5 of Toronto's starters weren't on the DL, I'd have no doubt that the O's are still a last place team in the end.
EmeraldHorse
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #11 by LA Detective » July 2nd, 2012, 4:31 pm

I thought Arrieta should of been sent down instead of Avery. Tilman starting wednesday followed by the other two just brought up. They certainly couldnt be worse and could be a suprise as all 3 are pitching well down there. I think Arrieta needs a mental and physical breather.. Skip a start, work a couple of sessions on the side, then a start or two and back up here after the break. Also Britton is getting close. The moves made this weekend will only help Matusz and Hunter. I dont think we have heard the last from them. We need July to figure out if Avery can help this year or we need someone outside the organization in LF
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #12 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 2nd, 2012, 11:24 pm

LA Detective wrote:I thought Arrieta should of been sent down instead of Avery. Tilman starting wednesday followed by the other two just brought up. They certainly couldnt be worse and could be a suprise as all 3 are pitching well down there. I think Arrieta needs a mental and physical breather.. Skip a start, work a couple of sessions on the side, then a start or two and back up here after the break. Also Britton is getting close. The moves made this weekend will only help Matusz and Hunter. I dont think we have heard the last from them. We need July to figure out if Avery can help this year or we need someone outside the organization in LF

Don't agree on Arrieta, but obviously do agree on Avery. It's clear he can help this team right now.

Agree on both Matusz and Hunter. Still think Hunter could be solid out of the bullpen later in the season, too.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Return to Baltimore Orioles