Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

I now firmly think we should be sellers

I now firmly think we should be sellers

PostPost #1 by docjj » June 27th, 2012, 8:33 pm

For a while, I was enjoying the ride like everyone else and began to think maybe we should be buyers.

But I've seen just about every game this year and think it's time we switch to "sell" mode.

We don't have enough starting pitching, reliable defense and timely hitting to be a contender. We have a lot of useless junk clogging the roster. And our minor leagues are a barren wasteland outside of Bundy, Machado, Schoop and possibly Delmonico.

I hate to write off the year, but I'm trying to think of the long haul here. I think we should consider ourselves sellers and see if we can make trades to better ourselves for the future.
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Re: I now firmly think we should be sellers

PostPost #2 by Matt P » June 27th, 2012, 8:53 pm

I really have no clue what to think about this team.

Coming into the year I thought the offense would be about league average, the rotation would be horrible, and the bullpen would be great. Well, the offense has been horrible at everything except hitting home runs, 3 of 5 starters have been inconsistent and for the most part bad, the bullpen has been incredible, and the O's are somehow 8 games above .500.

The upcoming schedule is pretty favorable for the O's. They get the Indians, Mariners, Angels, Tigers, Twins, and Indians from tomorrow until July 24th. They always struggle on the West coast but they should be favored in most games during this stretch other than the three games against Anaheim.

It's a sellers market with so many teams that are currently in the mix so if they don't think they are a playoff team they should be sellers. They have options in the minor leagues for the bullpen next year and in the future so they could afford to trade some relievers if they get good offers. Johnson may be able to net a good prospect. I would keep Strop and Patton though since they are under control for longer than most in the bullpen. Ayala and O'Day may be able to net something as well but they obviously won't get anything special for either of them. Hammel could get a nice haul at the deadline for a team that needs a starter and Duquette should be talking to his reps to see if he has any interest in staying in Baltimore after next season. If he doesn't trade him now and if he does wait until the off season to decide what to do with him.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » June 27th, 2012, 9:19 pm

I think the Orioles could swing a few trades with their RP crop. AND still potentially compete if they want to.

I'm with Matt though, not exactly sure what to think. Just know that Jones and Hammel can't carry this team by themselves
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #4 by Matt P » June 27th, 2012, 10:07 pm

If they decide they need to be sellers and they trade everyone in the bullpen except Patton and Strop they would still be in good position bullpen wise next season and beyond.

Strop, Patton, and then guys like Socolovich, Hunter, Steve Johnson, Bergesen, Berken, Gonzalez, Pomeranz, Burke, etc. could still be a strong bullpen. You figure Arrieta at worst would be a great reliever going forward, same with Tillman, and not all of the young pitchers can be starters in Baltimore as there is only 5 rotation spots. Dan Klein could be back next year and maybe ready for Baltimore in 2014, Erbe is a project but maybe he works out as a reliever, Wada should be ready for next season, and there are a bunch of other guys in the minors that could make it as relievers. I'm not exactly sure how minor league free agency works though. Pomeranz, Gonzalez, and Socolovich I believe all signed 1 year minor league free agent contracts. Does that mean if they are on the 40 man they would still be on the O's and just have no options going forward or are they free agents at the end of the year even if they are on the 40 man? Either way, the team has bullpen options going forward thanks to Duquette's love of depth.

Again, most wouldn't bring back big time packages but Johnson may be able to get us a top 100 prospect. Koji brought back Hunter and Davis last year, and I believe Mike Adams cost the Rangers a pretty penny as well. Maybe a team in the hunt becomes desperate for relief help like the Rangers were last year and the O's can take advantage of that.

I'm not sure what hitters would bring anything back though. Roberts has not looked good, owed a good bit of money, and is old. Reynolds is a horrible defender but can get on base and has crazy power. Wilson Betemit isn't necessarily good anywhere defensively but he is alright at the plate and can play multiple positions. Markakis is owed a lot of money. Adam Jones just signed the big contract so he isn't going anywhere. Wieters, Davis, and Hardy aren't going anywhere either.

Hammel would bring back the best return but if he is interested in staying in Baltimore he would be a fine #2/#3 pitcher going forward for the next 4 or 5 years. Chen isn't going anywhere as his contract is incredible. I don't imagine they will give up any of the young pitchers if they decide they aren't going to compete this year and will likely give them all opportunities to show they should be on the team next season.

Actually, after typing this all out I'm in favor of trading most of the bullpen even if the team continues to stay in contention.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #5 by OriolesRedskins28 » June 27th, 2012, 11:01 pm

Don't give up! Things will turn around, for once I am confident the Orioles can hang in there and remain in contention right to the end.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #6 by legmason » June 28th, 2012, 9:22 am

I have no problem with selling some parts of this team for pieces that could be helpfull in the future but I don't think we should do anything drastic. We still have three good pitchers in the rotation that should give us some good chances to win more games down the stretch. Yes I said THREE good pitchers and yes the third I'm referring to is Arrieta. I think he'll improve and he's had three good starts in a row. Even though that's a small sample size he's got a lot of talent and I think we're beginning to see it on the field.

We have some nice corner stone pieces that we should be building around for the future like Jones and Wieters. Many of the other players aren't going to fetch enough to be worth it in my opinion. Obviously, Markakis, Roberts, Davis, Reynolds and Hardy aren't going to get us much.

Our offense hasn't been good of late but it won't last forever and it will come around. The Yankees just lost Sabathia and Pettite and the Rays just got swept by the Royals. I don't think we're going to win the division or anything crazy but we're not in bad shape. Let's have fun with the fact that we're still in it and we still have Britton, Gonzalez, Tillman and Johnson at AAA that can come up and help the team after the all star break.

In addition, I don't think we should give up much if anything to add to this team. It would cost to much to add a premium pitcher considering our farm system isn't that deep. I would only be okay with it if we didn't give up much but were able to add a #2 or #3 starter that wouldn't be a 2 month rental....yeah yeah I know...good luck with that.
legmason
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #7 by Rising O's » June 28th, 2012, 11:44 am

Pretty obvious we should not be buyers. This team will compete because they look like they care. DD should look to be active in the trade market, but it should be with 2013+ in mind.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #8 by birdwatcher55 » June 28th, 2012, 12:21 pm

I wouldn't dump the roster just yet. Too early for that. I think you have to take it right down to July 31 and see where you stand. The Angels have a dynamic ballclub and we got our heads handed to us last night but this is baseball and things can turn around real fast. At this point, I don't see DD moving key pieces in the farm system for the likes of Dempster or Garza. I could see us grabbing a bat on the cheap real soon and see if that helps the situation. I agree with Rising Os that DD will be doing things with 2013 and beyond in mind. Whatever happens I have to tip my hat to the O's for providing us with 3 good months of baseball. Too bad Britton wasn't healthy and the sp more stable as I could see us in first place. But such is life and we have to take it from here. I am trying to keep the faith 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Return to Baltimore Orioles