Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Analytics Seminar 6/26

Orioles Analytics Seminar 6/26

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » June 27th, 2012, 12:31 am

Weams of Orioles Hangout posted some very interesting Tweets from the Orioles Analytics Seminar yesterday.

Guests: Dan Duquette EVP Orioles, Bill Squadron Head of Bloomberg Sports, Rick Peterson Director of Pitching Development

Here are some of the Tweets I found most interesting (these are posted on the OH Twitter):

Rick Peterson has made specific adjustments for Chris Tillman Jake Arrieta and Zach Britton based on the Biomechanics depth of pitch adj

Orioles targeting pitching on efficiency rating. Emphasis on high swing and miss outcome. Three pitch at bats.

1-1 count is the most important count to throw a strike. .100 point swing in batting average.

#Orioles pitching sustainable based on use of technology. Daily pitching charts reviewed. Focus on process not outcome. #RickPeterson

No curveballs on 1-1 counts. Dylan Bundy has developed a Change Up that he can throw at that count for a strike. Focusing on counts of Adv

Each pitch is sorted and video is instantaneously available for review on iPad TTTP data is being discussed. Execute pitches. 1.1 too fast

Field Effects cameras are now installed for million data points for new advanced fielding metrics. Video analysis of actual movement

Peterson has been installing pitching evaluation system throughout all affiliates. Advance scout can not accumulate the data.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Orioles Analytics Seminar 6/26

PostPost #2 by Matt P » June 27th, 2012, 12:52 am

Pretty interesting stuff and thank you for posting. Peterson has made me into a Tillman believer even if some people on this board think he is a lost cause.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #3 by TrapezoidConspiracy » June 27th, 2012, 2:03 am

I'd love to know the extent of Peterson's involvement in the draft process, as well as if Peterson's approach has altered the O's amateur scouting.
TrapezoidConspiracy
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

PostPost #4 by Shorebirdfan » June 27th, 2012, 5:29 am

If you happen to also follow Denver Bundy (father of Dylan and Bobby) I think you will see he was not too thrilled with most of this string.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #5 by Tucker Blair » June 27th, 2012, 11:33 am

Shorebirdfan wrote:If you happen to also follow Denver Bundy (father of Dylan and Bobby) I think you will see he was not too thrilled with most of this string.

I also think some of the stuff said at the event (from what I read), could be taken as a load of crap. But, I obviously know far less than they do so take what I think with a grain of salt.

Let's just say that he was not the only one to think that.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 44

Return to Baltimore Orioles