Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Pitching Woes

Pitching Woes

PostPost #1 by Birdfan7 » June 26th, 2012, 9:55 pm

After tonight's game against the LAA it is pretty clear that the Orioles need some serious pitching help, so the question is do they need to get Zach Britton back up to the majors or call up Miguel Gonzalez to enter the rotation, what I would like to see is move Jim Johnson to a starting position and put Pedro Strop or Darren O'day in the closing spot. I mean something needs done right?
Birdfan7
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: Pitching Woes

PostPost #2 by Tucker Blair » June 26th, 2012, 10:04 pm

I think it's too late for a JJ move. It would take him at least 2-3-4 weeks to be stretched out, and by then it would be kinda pointless.

I could see Gonzalez getting the call. I think we find out tomorrow. Could very well be Hunter back in rotation though.

Also I would not be surprised in the least bit if Matusz stays in MLB rotation all year.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #3 by Matt P » June 26th, 2012, 10:08 pm

I just wish one of Arrieta, Matusz, and Hunter could find some sort of consistency. Hunter has been up and down all year, Arrieta shows flashes but still hasn't had back to back quality starts all season, and Matusz looked horrible his first few games followed by a 7 or 8 game stretch where he looked very good, and recently he has struggled.

I really think it's time for Tillman to come up for one of them. Gonzalez and Berken are worthy of promotions to get a couple of starts as well.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #4 by Birdfan7 » June 26th, 2012, 10:10 pm

I think Johnson is a quality pitcher and could get going pretty quick. They say they are going to be buyers, well its time to start buying so even if you leave Johnson in the pen (which I personally think is a great place for him cause he has been so darn good at it) who would they buy are there any quality arms out there that are on the block? and lets be honest Matusz and Hunter just wont cut it, they both got tee'd off on tonight.
Birdfan7
DSL Orioles

PostPost #5 by Birdfan7 » June 26th, 2012, 10:11 pm

Matt P wrote:I just wish one of Arrieta, Matusz, and Hunter could find some sort of consistency. Hunter has been up and down all year, Arrieta shows flashes but still hasn't had back to back quality starts all season, and Matusz looked horrible his first few games followed by a 7 or 8 game stretch where he looked very good, and recently he has struggled.

I really think it's time for Tillman to come up for one of them. Gonzalez and Berken are worthy of promotions to get a couple of starts as well.

I agree, I think if any of them do it will be Arrieta.
Birdfan7
DSL Orioles

PostPost #6 by birdwatcher55 » June 27th, 2012, 3:04 pm

Tillman. Problem solved. 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #7 by Matt P » June 27th, 2012, 3:06 pm

Birdfan7 wrote:
Matt P wrote:I just wish one of Arrieta, Matusz, and Hunter could find some sort of consistency. Hunter has been up and down all year, Arrieta shows flashes but still hasn't had back to back quality starts all season, and Matusz looked horrible his first few games followed by a 7 or 8 game stretch where he looked very good, and recently he has struggled.

He certainly has the best stuff out of the three.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by Jordan Tuwiner » June 28th, 2012, 9:14 pm

Matt P wrote:
Birdfan7 wrote:

He certainly has the best stuff out of the three.

When he's on his game, Tillman's certainly close. When he has both the curveball and changeup working he's pretty hard to hit. Of course, that's rare.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #9 by Matt P » June 29th, 2012, 1:19 am

I always thought that when Tillman was at his best he looked the best. Those rare games when he did look good he was amazing. I meant Arrieta out of Arrieta/Matusz/Hunter.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by dan72 » June 29th, 2012, 6:54 pm

The Angels are a team built for the playoffs, they have a lineup that features professional hitters and a future hall of famer. They have real, proven front of the rotation starters. Their ownership has spent the money to assemble that team and they deserve all the wins that go along with that. Our collection of misfits has far exceeded expectations this year so far. If we want to continue to play with the big boys we need the following
-protection for Jones in the line up
-corner infilders
-1-2 starting proven starters
-depth in the outfield ( a real MLB player)
Our home grown young pitching can not out pitch most of the pitching around MLB, pitching and defense wins Championships.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #11 by osforlife » June 29th, 2012, 10:20 pm

Keep Johnson in the closing role. Move hunter to the pen and see if he can succeed in one inning stints. Let's see what eveland does in his start. Bring up Gonzalez and DFA Gregg. Numbers seem to indicate arrieta is pitching better than the results are showing so I would run him out there some more. Let matusz figure out his problems up here I guess. If eveland struggles, tillman is an intriguing option.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Return to Baltimore Orioles