Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Sellers or buyers at trade deadline?

Re: Sellers or buyers at trade deadline?

PostPost #16 by Birdfan7 » June 27th, 2012, 1:46 pm

I understand what your saying and while I am a loyal fan and may be optimistic, worse teams have done better. You can have horrible depth on the field and once Nick gets back and if the team gets hot and gets some runs which is possible. While I'm not saying this year will be Their year or that They will even get to the post season. But another good pitcher would go a long way in the future as well of right now.

Any given team can win on any given day, so while there may not be tons of depth there is always the chance that a little can go along way.
Birdfan7
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #17 by ofahn » June 27th, 2012, 2:09 pm

Birdfan7 wrote:another good pitcher would go a long way in the future

Yes, but how long into the future? Dempster and Grienke are three month rentals. Garza would be under our control until the end of 2013. Our best prospects shouldn't be counted on to make an impact in the ML until 2014. Of course, if we trade some of those prospects, that impact will be much less.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #18 by Matt P » June 27th, 2012, 3:04 pm

Trading for Garza or Greinke would not be enough to keep the team in playoff contention. Adding both would but the O's don't have the resources to trade for both unless you are talking giving up Machado or Bundy. Adding one of them combined with a Headley or a good LF may be enough to keep them in the race but again, do the O's have to resources without trading Bundy or Machado to trade for one of those pitchers + a good 3B or LF?

If the goal is 82 wins adding Garza or Greinke makes sense. If the goal is playoffs adding just one of them makes no sense.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #19 by birdwatcher55 » June 28th, 2012, 3:13 pm

Adding Garza and Grienke would most certainly put the Orioles in playoff contention. But the cost would be overwhelming. It would totally gut the farm system: Machado, Schoop, Bundy, Delmonico and Tillman. The cost would be a huge calculated risk I doubt Duquette would take at this point 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles