Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

J.J. Hardy has a .220 wOBA in June

J.J. Hardy has a .220 wOBA in June

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » June 24th, 2012, 6:35 pm

- .220 wOBA in June
- .213 OBP in June

Only a .280 OBP this season.

Time to move him out of the #2 spot?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: J.J. Hardy has a .220 wOBA in June

PostPost #2 by osforlife » June 24th, 2012, 8:31 pm

I always thought he was more suited for a bottom spot of the order. He is a free swinger that doesn't get on base a lot. He is still valuable because of his outstanding defense and his constant dingers, but I don't see the point for having him bat so high. Sure, he'll get going again and people will want him higher in the order, but I like him in the 6th or 7th spot.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #3 by ofahn » June 24th, 2012, 9:13 pm

osforlife wrote:I always thought he was more suited for a bottom spot of the order. He is a free swinger that doesn't get on base a lot. He is still valuable because of his outstanding defense and his constant dingers, but I don't see the point for having him bat so high. Sure, he'll get going again and people will want him higher in the order, but I like him in the 6th or 7th spot.

I don't think a winning team can afford four free swingers like Hardy, Davis, Reynolds, and Andino in the same lineup.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by Tucker Blair » June 24th, 2012, 9:48 pm

Once Markakis comes back, he will get moved down. Until then, i'm not entirely sure who would be better. They really have no options.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #5 by ofahn » June 24th, 2012, 10:18 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Once Markakis comes back, he will get moved down. Until then, i'm not entirely sure who would be better. They really have no options.

If Xavier Avery has another good two weeks I would like to see him come back and hit in the two hole. He has a solid OBA and would provide some awesome speed along with Roberts at the top of the lineup. I'm sure Steve Pearce is a nice guy but we should be playing our future in LF and Pearce isn't it.

I think a lineup of:

Roberts
Avery
Markakis
Jones
Wieters
Soriano
Davis
Hardy
Andino/Flaherty

would be a bit more consistent that what we have now. Substitute Headley for Andino/Flaherty and you might have a 4.5 to 4.7 run per game lineup.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by Tucker Blair » June 24th, 2012, 10:21 pm

ofahn wrote:
TuckerBlair89 wrote:Once Markakis comes back, he will get moved down. Until then, i'm not entirely sure who would be better. They really have no options.

If Xavier Avery has another good two weeks I would like to see him come back and hit in the two hole. He has a solid OBA and would provide some awesome speed along with Roberts at the top of the lineup. I'm sure Steve Pearce is a nice guy but we should be playing our future in LF and Pearce isn't it.

I think a lineup of:

Roberts
Avery
Markakis
Jones
Wieters
Soriano
Davis
Hardy
Andino/Flaherty

would be a bit more consistent that what we have now. Substitute Headley for Andino/Flaherty and you might have a 4.5 to 4.7 run per game lineup.

Interesting possibility. I would prefer Avery in the 9 hole, but we don't always get our wishes haha.
I do think Avery is up eventually. He's been the hottest player in the minors this week besides maybe his teammate LJ Hoes.

Also on Hardy, his defense has been so damn good this year I didn't realize he was even struggling to get on base like this.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #7 by ofahn » June 24th, 2012, 10:27 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Also on Hardy, his defense has been so damn good this year I didn't realize he was even struggling to get on base like this.

I think that running Hardy in the eight hole would actually improve his production. He should a lot more runners in scoring position and he wouldn't have the pressure of being a "run producer".

I still think you should put your best OBA guys at the top of the lineup, and when they have speed it just makes it that much better.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by osforlife » June 25th, 2012, 12:06 pm

ofahn wrote:
osforlife wrote:I always thought he was more suited for a bottom spot of the order. He is a free swinger that doesn't get on base a lot. He is still valuable because of his outstanding defense and his constant dingers, but I don't see the point for having him bat so high. Sure, he'll get going again and people will want him higher in the order, but I like him in the 6th or 7th spot.

I don't think a winning team can afford four free swingers like Hardy, Davis, Reynolds, and Andino in the same lineup.

Andino is what he is. He's a light hitting super utility back-up. He is no everyday player. Reynolds needs to be traded for whatever we can get out of him. Headley would be great playing third.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #9 by birdwatcher55 » June 25th, 2012, 2:30 pm

I would leave Hardy where he is. If you look at his OBP last year, he is very streaky. I think once Markakis gets back, he's going to see better pitches to hit as well 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #10 by Matt P » June 25th, 2012, 10:17 pm

Reynolds would be a better 2 hole hitter than Hardy. He should be batting somewhere from 6-9.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #11 by Matt P » June 26th, 2012, 7:38 pm

The at bat he just had was horrible.

Roberts sacrificed so JJ had 2nd and 3rd with 1 out. He fouls off ball 1, swings and misses at ball 2, then hits a ball hard right to short. Just a horrible at bat with the team down 3-1.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Return to Baltimore Orioles