Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Wieters Weird Season

Wieters Weird Season

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » June 15th, 2012, 12:27 pm

Matt Wieters has been through a weird season.

He started out fairly well in April with a .279/.364/.574 batting line
Then he had the abysmal May where he hit .188/.282/.323
Then he is scorching hot in June at .367/.415/.531

Some other weird things:

Wieters has some weird BABIP splits. Against LHP his BABIP is .426. Against RHP his BABIP is .228.I guess they even out but still a huge difference between the two. Even more weird is that 7 of his HR are against RHP. Maybe that is a reason the BABIP is low (Hr do not count as a ball in play).

However, last season he had roughly the same BABIP splits, yet he hit more HR against RHP (13 vs 9).
I just thought it was interesting and a little different from your usual player.

I'd love to see some research on BABIP and Splits for switch hitters.

Lastly, he has a lot more errors this season, and mostly ALL on throwing. I'm not really sure what the deal is, but I think it mostly has to do with bad luck.I don't see anything different in what he is doing in his release. Only 2 of them were surefire errors in my opinion.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Wieters Weird Season

PostPost #2 by birdwatcher55 » June 16th, 2012, 7:50 am

That GIDP in the third killed us last night. A well placed hit in that situation and we would have likely coasted 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » June 16th, 2012, 12:18 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:That GIDP in the third killed us last night. A well placed hit in that situation and we would have likely coasted 8-)

I couldn't catch the game last night.
He hits into a lot of them though. One, he is very slow. Two, he hits a ton of ground balls. I think we should just get used to that aspect. He's had a ton of big hits recently too though.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #4 by Matt P » June 16th, 2012, 8:48 pm

Started off hot, then had a horrific slump, and has been on fire since breaking out of it.

Seems like he is just streaky.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Return to Baltimore Orioles