Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Boy, Hunter looked shaky as closer

Re: Boy, Hunter looked shaky as closer

PostPost #16 by ofahn » April 14th, 2014, 10:10 am

Hunter hasn't cost us a game yet, but you have to wonder when he will. IMO the fundamental problem is that we're asking a him to work outside of his skill set. He's a fly ball pitcher with occasional complete lapses of control who has major problems with off side hitters. Even with a 98 MPH FB those qualities are going to result in at least a 20% failure rate in converting saves.

I encourage everyone to do the research on our current bullpen members to see which pitcher(s) do NOT have those tendencies. IMO THOSE players should be pitching the last two innings when it's necessary.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #17 by osforlife » April 14th, 2014, 4:50 pm

The front office/management went with a very simple approach to picking a new internal closer. They picked the reliever that threw the fastest, and fit the prototypical closer type; a hard throwing RHP. I'm here to say screw the prototypical closer type. When the game is on the line, put in the best relief pitcher. Baltimore's best relief pitcher is Darren O'Day, and he has been for quite some time. Although, nobody seems to want to believe that. I would like to say that Zach Britton and Evan Meek have been exceptional so far, and Britton is proving me wrong.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #18 by ofahn » April 14th, 2014, 5:23 pm

osforlife wrote:The front office/management went with a very simple approach to picking a new internal closer. They picked the reliever that threw the fastest, and fit the prototypical closer type; a hard throwing RHP.

IMO there was some of that, but I also think that Buck felt somewhat obligated to give it to Tommy because he had paid his dues.

osforlife wrote:I'm here to say screw the prototypical closer type. When the game is on the line, put in the best relief pitcher.

... and/or the hot hand.

osforlife wrote:Baltimore's best relief pitcher is Darren O'Day, and he has been for quite some time.

I might amend that to the best PROVEN reliever.

osforlife wrote:Although, nobody seems to want to believe that. I would like to say that Zach Britton and Evan Meek have been exceptional so far

Agreed.

osforlife wrote:and Britton is proving me wrong.

Me too, although I can say that I began to believe he could turn the corner just before ST when the reports came in that he was in great shape and had worked all winter to make good.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #19 by Seafordeagles » April 14th, 2014, 9:06 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:Honestly no. You can add Stinson to the list of "May not belong on the team" but I would not trust Meek to close.

Meek another 1 2/3, no runs, one hit, no walks. HE BELONGS...................
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #20 by thezeroes » April 15th, 2014, 6:06 pm

I think we need to ask ourselves what we expect out of a "Closer" and then try to find how many of them pitchers actually exist.

We would like to have a pitcher come in for the ninth inning and give up nothing. No Runs, No Hits, No Walks. We then want him to do this without a platoon advantage. We then want him to do this Game after Game when called upon. We want him to do this on short rest, long rest, no rest. We want him to do this in all types of weather situations, hot weather, cold weather, dry weather, humid weather, wet weather. We want him to never fail.

Excuse me but this guy does NOT exist.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #21 by docjj » April 24th, 2014, 6:43 am

Wow. He's terrible. Opponents are hitting .357 against him. It's a little puzzling because when I watch him he has very good "stuff". He needs to come up with something to keep hitters from squaring up on his heater. Probably too late to teach him a change up or new breaking pitch or splitter, but he needs something.

O'Day for closer...Now!
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #22 by mikezpen » April 24th, 2014, 11:14 am

He's been beyond lucky so far. I can't see his staying in that role. Trouble is, they don't have a lot of options. If they want to fill that slot, they'll need to go outside the organization I think.

I'm afraid you're coming to a point where the luck runs out and we'll see him blow, like, 3 of 4 saves.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #23 by ofahn » April 24th, 2014, 1:29 pm

I don't understand why anyone needs to be "The Closer". We have some quality relievers that are capable of pitching more than one inning. If they're effective in the Eighth then why not allow them to finish the game?

If you look at the '83' team you'll see that Tippy Martinez (LHP) and Sammy Stewart (RHP) finished most of the games with multiple innings.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... ti01.shtml
http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... sa01.shtml
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #24 by ljmillar22 » April 24th, 2014, 4:01 pm

What would people think about bringing in a closer from another team like we did with K-Rod last year, someone that won't break the bank but can be effective, I was looking at Broxton at the Reds but he is due 7million which is a bit steep.
Has anyone got another player they think we could get and what would it cost us?
ljmillar22
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #25 by ofahn » April 24th, 2014, 4:35 pm

ljmillar22 wrote:What would people think about bringing in a closer from another team like we did with K-Rod last year, someone that won't break the bank but can be effective, I was looking at Broxton at the Reds but he is due 7million which is a bit steep.
Has anyone got another player they think we could get and what would it cost us?

Again, why do we need a designated closer?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #26 by mikezpen » April 24th, 2014, 9:57 pm

I agree, but that's the way it's done now.The Orioles tend to run their closer into the ground too.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #27 by ofahn » April 24th, 2014, 10:11 pm

mikezpen wrote:I agree, but that's the way it's done now.

The best teams are ahead of the curve and gain an edge by doing what's effective instead of what's traditional. It's been a LOOOONNNNGGGG time since this franchise has been a trend setter.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #28 by Old Sneakers » April 28th, 2014, 2:45 am

Seafordeagles wrote:
Meek another 1 2/3, no runs, one hit, no walks. HE BELONGS...................

8 ER in two of his last three appearances. Every pitcher has poor outings but do you still stand by this?
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #29 by Seafordeagles » April 28th, 2014, 7:23 am

Old Sneakers wrote:
8 ER in two of his last three appearances. Every pitcher has poor outings but do you still stand by this?

Based on his last few outings he's been brutal. Although when he was pitching great you never responded to that.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #30 by Old Sneakers » April 28th, 2014, 9:06 am

Small sample sizes are not enough to excite me. You could well prove right during the course of the entire season. To date however, the bullpen as a whole has failed to impress me.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles