Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Ibanez, Quentin, Ramirez speculation

Ibanez, Quentin, Ramirez speculation

PostPost #1 by dan72 » July 21st, 2013, 11:41 am

Anther site that links the orioles as having interest in a bat at the deadline. Given the fact that the Orioles will never spend money on pitching, maybe the Orioles are going to try and bash their way to the playoffs. IMO good pitching will always beat good hitting, so I'm not sure how far we can go with this approach. I do agree that Dunn would be a bad fit. He would no doubt hit a ton of homeruns in OPACY, but the fans would grow tired of his strikeouts. He is essentially a down grade from Reynolds for more money......
The following link details the three players projected to be available.

http://isportsweb.com/2013/07/19/baltim ... or-the-os/
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Re: Ibanez, Quentin, Ramirez speculation

PostPost #2 by Rising O's » July 21st, 2013, 2:38 pm

Quentin is the type of bat the Orioles need. He's overpaid for the next two years, but the Orioles can afford it.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #3 by ofahn » July 21st, 2013, 2:44 pm

Rising O's wrote:Quentin is ... overpaid for the next two years, but the Orioles can afford it.

Apparently not. Read this.

Are contending Orioles 'tapped out' after landing Feldman?

Remember all that early speculation about how the Orioles might pick up Cliff Lee at the trade deadline?

Well, beyond the fact that Lee is all but assured of staying with the Phillies through the deadline, the contending Orioles are apparently not working in that sort of financial arena. The now 54-43 O's added solid starter Scott Feldman in a trade earlier this month, but apparently the team's coffers are just about empty now.

While considering a couple of needs recently, an Orioles-connected person used the phrase "tapped out'' to describe their financial situation.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-h ... ng-feldman
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by dan72 » July 21st, 2013, 5:23 pm

If the Orioles are tapped out now, wait till they get to the arbitration table for Chris Davis....... granted we will be done paying Brob after this year. It just seems amazing to me that the Orioles have reached their budget. Does the Masn money ever come into play and if so under what circumstances?
:(
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #5 by mikezpen » July 23rd, 2013, 7:59 am

Perhaps (I hope) that comment refers to this year's budget, not the future.

The addition of Urrutia puts a good hitter at every point in the lineup. We don't need to any more. What I would like to see them get is another dependable late-inning bullpen arm.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #6 by ofahn » July 23rd, 2013, 9:52 am

mikezpen wrote:I hope that comment refers to this year's budget, not the future.

With this year's attendance it might go to 100M next year AND we have about 30M in payroll coming off, BUT we also have about 20M in scheduled and arbitration raises SO we should have about 18M to fill three or four ML spots and seven or eight 40 Man Roster spots. Let's just end any ludicrous talk RIGHT NOW about some sort of insane Cano or Garza signing.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Return to Baltimore Orioles