Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Potential Pitching trade Targets

Re: Potential Pitching trade Targets

PostPost #31 by ofahn » June 15th, 2013, 9:48 am

osforlife wrote:pitchers who are free agents after the season are much easier to require, cost much less

Just a reminder that Carlos Beltran cost the Giants Zach Wheeler and Anibel Sanchez cost the Tigers Jacob Turner. Those two guys would be our third and fifth best prospects right now.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #32 by osforlife » June 15th, 2013, 7:20 pm

ofahn wrote:
Just a reminder that Carlos Beltran cost the Giants Zach Wheeler and Anibel Sanchez cost the Tigers Jacob Turner. Those two guys would be our third and fifth best prospects right now.

Keep in mind, that Carlos Beltran is a POSITION PLAYER, and that in 2011, was arguably a top ten hitter. Matt Garza, Josh Johnson, and/or Yovani Gallardo are no where close to being a top ten pitcher. That trade was also considered a huge steal for the Mets. Regarding the Anibal Sanchez trade, the Tigers also received Omar Infante, whom they had control of over the next year too.

I'd love to get one of the three pitchers I've named. Right now, all of their stocks are VERY low. But, of course, their respective teams will give them more time to regain lost value. Maybe the Orioles will acquire one of these three, maybe they will acquire a lesser arm like a Bud Norris, Ricky Nolasco, or Scott Feldman. As of right now, we have a stellar defense, a stellar offense, and a shaky pitching staff. We have to give the Orioles more time to show their true talent level, because they might go cold after a few hot hitters go cold. But, at least a back of the rotation starter to sure up the back of the rotation for the last two months of the season could go a long way. Especially if we can get an arm out of expendable parts like an Xavier Avery.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #33 by ofahn » June 17th, 2013, 9:11 am

osforlife wrote:Regarding the Anibal Sanchez trade, the Tigers also received Omar Infante, whom they had control of over the next year too.

...and also gave up additional prospects and an exchange of competitive balance draft picks.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #34 by osforlife » June 17th, 2013, 1:49 pm

Just learned that Yovani Gallardo is under Brewers control through the 2014 season, and has a club option for 2015. I thought he was a free agent after the season. Whoops.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #35 by osforlife » June 17th, 2013, 1:53 pm

ofahn wrote:
...and also gave up additional prospects and an exchange of competitive balance draft picks.

Still, if indeed we seek Matt Garza or Josh Johnson, we will being asking for one, injury prone, #3 starter for two months. The asking price will not be that high, especially after these two missed significant time this season.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #36 by ofahn » June 17th, 2013, 4:12 pm

osforlife wrote:Just learned that Yovani Gallardo is under Brewers control through the 2014 season, and has a club option for 2015. I thought he was a free agent after the season. Whoops.

I read somewhere that Rick Peterson thought he could straighten out Gallardo.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #37 by birdwatcher55 » June 18th, 2013, 12:16 pm

The Blue Jays are in it.. they won't be giving up Johnson. I like Garza but he will be very expensive and will likely be the object of a bidding war at deadline 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #38 by osforlife » June 18th, 2013, 3:38 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:The Blue Jays are in it.. they won't be giving up Johnson. I like Garza but he will be very expensive and will likely be the object of a bidding war at deadline 8-)

The Bluejays are eight games back. There are not in it. They could make themselves in it if they keep playing this well, but they only have a month to do REALLY get back in it or else they will start selling pieces.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #39 by Seafordeagles » June 18th, 2013, 4:00 pm

Josh Johnson is always hurt.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #40 by ofahn » June 18th, 2013, 4:12 pm

If we can't put together a deal for a pitcher we can control for at least two more years then I would rather make a low cost waiver deal After July 31st rather than spend some of our few precious quality prospects on a two month rental.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #41 by A_K » June 18th, 2013, 4:37 pm

ofahn wrote:If we can't put together a deal for a pitcher we can control for at least two more years then I would rather make a low cost waiver deal After July 31st rather than spend some of our few precious quality prospects on a two month rental.

There are options in between: acquire a two-month rental without giving up one of our few quality prospects. Happens all the time. Might require taking on a bit of salary, but it's possible.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #42 by ofahn » June 18th, 2013, 4:40 pm

A_K wrote:
There are options in between: acquire a two-month rental without giving up one of our few quality prospects. Happens all the time. Might require taking on a bit of salary, but it's possible.

Oh, I'm on the bus if it only costs us money, but when was the last time this ownership allowed the FO to make that kind of deal? IMO it was the Uehara and 2M for Davis and Hunter deal. IMO that one turned out OK.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #43 by birdwatcher55 » June 20th, 2013, 6:56 pm

The swami sees Saunders in our future ;)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles