Each night, Orioles Nation will set you up with reading material that includes the latest news, notes and links from writers covering Orioles spring training in Sarasota.
The Orioles held an exhibition game against Florida Southern today.
Their final spring training record was 11-13-6.
- Former Oriole Rick Sutcliffe will throw out the first pitch on opening day.
- Nick Markakis and Matt Wieters will received their 2011 Gold Gloves before the game.
- Jake Arrieta has been named the opening day starter, according to MASN’s Roch Kubatko.
- Jason Hammel will start the third game, according to Kubatko. Showalter will not reveal the other rotation spots at this time.
- Rule 5 pick Ryan Flaherty has been told he has made the team, according to Kubatko.
- The Brewers and Astros are two teams that are interested in Alfredo Simon, whom was placed on waivers, according to Kubatko.
- There was confusion early, but apparently Simon can be outrighted to AAA in unclaimed, according to MLB.com’s Brittany Ghiroli.
- RHP Dan Klein is still having shoulder discomfort and will see specialist Dr. Craig Morgan on April 13, according to MASN’s Steve Melewski.
- 2011 3rd Rounder Mike Wright and 4th Rounder Kyle Simon will open the year in High-A Fredrick’s rotation, according to Melewski.
- Matt Hogbood tweeted that his surgery was successful and that his rotator cuff was in pristine shape.
The EntreprenOriole takes a look at how a handful of former Orioles are doing with their new clubs’.