Each night, Orioles Nation will set you up with reading material that includes the latest news, notes and links from writers covering Orioles spring training in Sarasota.
The Orioles lost 11-5 against the Pittsburgh Pirates today.
Their current spring training record stands at 4-5-2.
- Nick Markakis was 0-2 in his first at bats of the spring.
- Endy Chavez was 1-3 with an RBI
- JJ Hardy was 2-3 with a HR and 2 RBI
- Mark Reynolds was 1-3 with a HR and 2 RBI
- Jake Arrieta was up-and-down today, pitching 2 2/3 innings with 5 H, 4 R, 4 K, 0 BB allowed. He threw 44 pitches, 29 for strikes.
- Zach Phillips pitched 1 1/3 innings with 1 H, 0 R, 1 K, 2 BB allowed.
- Jim Johnson saw his first action of spring training today. He tried to shake the rust off, pitching 1 inning with 4 H, 3 R, 1 K, 0 BB allowed. He also was credited with the loss.
- Matt Lindstrom pitched 1 inning with 0 H, 0 R, 2 K, 0 BB allowed.
- Willie Eyre pitched an 2/3 of an inning with 4 H, 4 R (0 ER), 1 K, 0 BB allowed.
- Casey Fossum pitched 1 1/3 innings with 0 H, 0 R, 1 K, 1 BB allowed.
- Pedro Strop pitched an inning with 1 H, 0 R, 2 K, 0 BB allowed.
- Catcher Taylor Teagarden has a slight tear in the ligament that supports the disc in the shoulder, according to MASN’s Roch Kubatko. Showalter says it sounds worse than it is, but conceded that his status for opening day could be in jeopardy.
- The Orioles optioned First Basemen Joe Mahoney to AAA, according to Kubatko.
- Alfredo Simon’s pitching schedule will be adjusted due to groin tightness, according to Kubatko.
- Jake Arrieta and Zach Britton will pitch in a minor league game Monday, according to Kubatko.
- Tsuyoshi Wada threw 33 pitches in a simulated game, according to Kubatko. He could pitch in a game as soon as Saturday or Sunday.
- Wada says he is not sure whether he can still win a rotation spot, but that is his goal, according to The Baltimore Sun’s Eduardo A. Encina.
MASN’s Steve Melewski interviewed Orioles Scouting Director Gary Rajsich about the upcoming draft.
The Baltimore Sun’s Dan Connolly wrote about Willie Eyre returning after a scare involving his 3-year old daughter.