Scouting Summary (via MLB.com):
- high baseball IQ
- average bat speed and smooth left handed swing
- has some loft in his swing, but power hasn’t been seen much yet
- advanced approach at the plate, rarely swings at pitches outside the zone
- slightly below-average speed
- had played catcher in HS, but looks to be a 3B as a pro
Don’s Thoughts: Nick Delmonico has a very high baseball IQ and at one point was seen as a top half of the first round selection. He has a highly projectable body and a ton of baseball skill. His bat is what stands out at this time; he shows solid plate discipline and should be an above average contact hitter. He should grow into at least an average power hitter for third, and maybe more with some psychical development.
His defense at catcher was slightly below grade, but the Orioles plan to use his strong arm and quick reactions at 3B. I think he has enough athleticism to play the corner outfield in the future if necessary.