Scouting Summary (MLB.com):
- faced good competition at Vanderbilt
- swing can get a bit choppy and has trouble squaring up at times
- potential for 20+ home runs in the bigs
- thicker lower half has stiffened hips, which will force move from SS to 3B
- plus arm
- advised by Scott Boras
- below-average speed
- slightly above-average hit tool
Don’s Thoughts: Jason Esposito is a nice pick at this point in the draft and a re-draft from the Royals (7th round, 2008). He was a top 50 player on my board and the Orioles are getting valued college bat. He displays a strong arm and is nimble enough to stay at the hot corner.
The key is consistency.If he were consistent with his bat, he would have easily been a first round pick. I think he shows solid contact and power potential at the plate, but will have to quiet down and improve upon his foundation. He could be a .280 hitter with a chance for 20+ home run power potential. If he can fill out, the power has the potential to increase.