Brian Roberts did not work out again today, the 3rd day in a row. He plays it off by saying “if it was during the season, I’d be playing.” Andy MacPhail said, “I don’t have any information that would suggest that it’s a concern at the present time.” Their responses indicate that he is still dealing with something, but they are avoiding the questions to make us believe he is fine. With an intra-squad game coming up on Sunday, and the first exhibition on Monday, we’ll be sure to keep tabs on if he plays in either/both of these outings.
Be sure to check out today’s video interview with RF Nick Markakis.
Other news and notes:
- Derrek Lee was able to hit BP on the field today, pitched by Willie Randolph. Although he hit no HRs, the progress he is showing is right on schedule with rehab from his thumb surgery, so nobody is worried at this point.
- For a good collection of random tidbits and sights in camp today, check out this post by Roch Kubatko.
`As for actual games:
- The starting pitchers for the two sides of Sunday’s intra-squad game at Ed Smith Stadium will be non-roster invitees Ryan Drese and Chris Jakubauskas.
- The pitchers to follow Drese and Jakubauskas are Adrian Rosario, Wynn Pelzer, Mike Ballard, Raul Rivero, Nick Bierbrodt, Troy Patton, Chorye Spoone, Armando Gabino, and Pedro Viola. From that list, it looks like Buck is saving his core ML group of guys for the weeks of ST games to come.
- Monday, against the Pirates in Bradenton, Pittsburgh will throw Paul Maholm on the mound to face Brad Bergesen (followed by Chris Tillman and Koji Uehara).
- Tuesday, against the Rays in Sarasota (ST home opener), Tampa Bay will be using Andy Sonnanstine against the O’s Jeremy Guthrie (followed by Rick VandenHurk).
An updated game schedule (with pitchers):
- 2/28 at Pirates (Paul Maholm): Brad Bergesen, Chris Tillman, Koji Uehara
- 3/1 vs. Rays (Andy Sonnanstine): Jeremy Guthrie, Rick VandenHurk
- 3/2 at Phillies: Justin Duchscherer, Zach Britton
- 3/3 vs. Twins: Brian Matusz, Adrian Rosario
- 3/4 at Tigers: Jake Arrieta, Ryan Drese
Note: These are only the scheduled pitchers to go, with each only going 1-3 innings. The rest of the game will be filled by various relievers.
Non-camp related items:
- There is a lot going on with the Alfredo Simon case in the DR. All we know is that he was recently denied bail, the civil suit was dropped, and sources are saying all kinds of different things. Here are some links to read more about the conflict.
- Brittany Ghiroli interviews Kevin Gregg two weeks into camp about his situation in the Orioles ‘pen , among other questions.
- Jerry Coleman of Fox Sports Radio 1370 interviews Andy MacPhail in Sarasota.
- Yet another fan’s take on the Orioles 2011 rotation.
- An article from the Herald-Tribune about Kevin Gregg wanting to close for the O’s.
- Thank you to new Baltimore Sun blogger Matt Vensel for taking the opinion that we should probably start worrying about Brian Roberts’ injury at least a little bit, and that it’s nothing to just shrug off.
- Mike Sheets of ESPN looks at Brian Matusz in terms of his impact on Fantasy Baseball in 2011.
- An interesting article from the Dominican about the story behind a journalist there and supporters of Alfredo Simon, and how it all relates to the case.