Brian Roberts reported to camp today after having x-rays done on his neck yesterday, though he did not participate in any activities. The x-rays came out negative, and Buck Showalter says Roberts is feeling about 50% better in the neck area and could work out as soon as tomorrow or Saturday. As of now, he is still slated to play in Monday’s first exhibition game vs. the Pittsburgh Pirates in Bradenton.
Be sure to check out today’s video interview with new Orioles 1B Derrek Lee.
Other news and notes:
- Frank Robinson gave a talk to the players this morning in the locker room, though it was closed to the media. Players said it was very inspirational and good to hear.
- Terry Crowley, who has been replaced as Orioles hitting coach, is in camp as a hitting instructor, as he will be working in the O’s minor league system this season.
- Chris Tillman says that he has done a lot of work on his cut fastball, and he again expects it to be a big pitch for him this year.
- Brandon Snyder, Norfolk’s 1B last season, has been taking ground balls at 3rd (his former position) and has caught some bullpens daily since Buck asked him to try out catching again last week when he reported. He says catching is coming back to him, and he gets more comfortable with it as days go by.
- With Roberts out of camp, the infield drills went as follows today: J.J. Hardy and Nick Green at SS, Cesar Izturis and Brendan Harris at 2B, Derrek Lee and Jake Fox at 1B, while Mark Reynolds manned 3rd on his own. Robert Andino was working on shortstop positioning on a separate field.
- David Segui, Kurt Ainsworth, and Paul Bako showed up to camp today. Besides selling bats to players such as Nick Markakis during the season, it is unclear why they were all there today.
- Non-roster invitee Josh Rupe has a stomach virus, so he was sent home today.
- Mitch Atkins is still dealing with the strained left oblique, but hopes pitch off a mound soon.
- Justin Duchscherer pitched live BP today (as did a few others), and has had no setbacks so far at camp.
Non-camp related items:
- Alfredo Simon was denied bail today at a court in the DR, meaning the speculation earlier this week about his near future release may end up being false.
- Manny Machado has changed his agent and now works with Dan Lozano, no longer Scott Boras, according to Keith Law.
- With much speculation of the St. Louis Cardinals now looking for starting pitching help after the announcement that SP Adam Wainwright will undergo TJ Surgery and miss 2011, The Sun updates us on what is going on with Kevin Millwood.
- Chris Hoiles will be in attendance on Opening Day for the Delmarva Shorebirds, for those in that area and interested in attending.
- The Wall Street Journal takes a look at which teams had the most successful offseasons in terms of most WAR gained.
- A preview of the 2011 Orioles by Sporting News.
- Matt Vensel, now of The Baltimore Sun, talks with Rob Neyer, now of SB Nation, about his thoughts on the 2011 Orioles.
- Baltimore Magazine takes a look at the new top chefs at Oriole Park with the concession switch.
- A writer with SB Nation Cleveland compares the Orioles success drought with the feelings of the Cleveland Indians going into another miserable-looking season.