Last night, Buck Showalter had all of the players (after arriving and reporting to camp as required) hop on buses and head over to a local movie theater, where he then showed them a compilation video of highlights and motivational footage, which had the players on their toes to start playing ball.
The first full squad workouts started today for the Orioles, with the position players taking physicals (with dental and eye exams) this morning and activities beginning around noon. Here are the notes and news of this first day:
- Nick Markakis and Pedro Florimon Jr., the only position players not to report before Sunday’s reporting date, have arrived at camp as planned.
- Workouts started with stretching around 11:40 AM followed by catch/long toss.
- Luke Scott and Randy Winn were seen shagging fly balls in LF to begin with, then Vladimir Guerrero joined them in later drills.
- Derrek Lee, Randy Winn, and Vladimir Guerrero have not yet shaved off their facial hair. It is only a matter of time before Buck enforces the team’s no facial hair policy. Luke Scott got rid of that mass on his face that he showed up to camp with.
- Derrek Lee and Jake Fox were seen working on 3-6-3 double plays at first base.
- Per Roch Kubatko: “Mark Reynolds and Brendan Harris took grounders at 3rd, JJ Hardy and Nick Green at SS and Brian Roberts and Cesar Izturis at second. Harris, Green and Izturis will move around the infield.”
- Vlad, Markakis, and Luke Scott were seen mashing rockets out of the park during one round of batting practice.
- Buck Showalter announced that for the team’s first ST exhibition game next Monday at the Pittsburgh Pirates, Brad Bergesen will start, followed by Chris Tillman. Each pitcher is expected to throw 2-3 innings, all based on pitch count.