1. slade
    slade August 15, 2010 at 3:21 pm |

I just got back from the Johnstown baseball tournament. My brother’s team won, beating Austin Urban’s team to win the championship. I didn’t get to see him throw unfortunately and I believe he injured his thowing hand sliding into second on a double. He looked okay as a hitter.

His body has a lot of room to fill out. Based on what I’ve heard from my brother’s coach, who also serves as a part time scout for the orioles, it sounds like Urban is headed off to school and is asking for way more than the orioles feel he’s worth. However, that could change if the reports on Anderson and Bywater are true. I still think the O’s will sign Bywater, but if Anderson does head back to school, here’s hoping they increase their offers to guys like Urban, Esquivel, and Robinson, and maybe get a few of them signed.

Jordan August 15, 2010 at 3:39 pm |

Thanks for the update! Looks like Anderson is a definite no, and Bywater is a pretty sure bet not to sign. But, we said the same thing about Givens last year…so we’ll see.

2. slade
    slade August 15, 2010 at 3:30 pm |

“We’ll complete our draft with some younger high school players that do want to go play, but have basically been waiting on me to extend an offer to them,” Jordan said. -from orioles insider

Well, there you go, sounds like we have some contingency plans in place and perhaps guys like Urban, Esquivel, and Robinson are who he’s referring to here. I agree with a comment you made a few days ago, that if not signing Anderson and/or means getting some later round high ceiling high school guys, then we’re probably better off going that route.

Jordan August 15, 2010 at 3:40 pm |

I’ve been hearing we may end up signing 50th rounder, Phillip Walby. If we don’t get Bywater or Anderson signing Robinson is a must.

3. qbsillest1
    qbsillest1 August 16, 2010 at 12:05 am |

Its interesting because we just signed Esquivel to $225K and to me he is a better prospect than Urban is even though Urban seemed to get more press. Both guys top out in the low 90′s, but Esquivel I believe is more projectable and his curveball flashes plus. Urban’s secondaries I believe lag pretty far behind his FB at this point….So, I can’t imagine JJ signing Urban to some ridiculous number after the bar has somewhat been set with Esquivel, though I could b e wrong…..it depends on how much they want Urban….

4. S.Hogan
    S.Hogan August 16, 2010 at 12:50 am |

I think at this point in time, Urban has the better fastball between he and Esquivel, but i’d guess that Esquivel has a better feel for the secondary offerings.This isn’t really surprising, because BA has stated that Urban has only been pitching for two years. He may not ooze projection, but I think he’s got a chance to be a very good get for us if we dish out the money. Sometimes, if you really believe in a kid and your development team, you’ve got to take a chance on a guy and overspend. If Jordan believes that in 3 years, Urban could get drafted out of Penn St as a 1st or 2nd round talent, then he better be willing to spend 500-600K.

I really, really hope that Jordan likes what he sees with Urban and Robinson and signs them. If we’re unable to sign Bywater, I’d definitely like to see us go all in for these two, especially since Anderson is a no go.

Jordan August 16, 2010 at 10:39 am |

I agree, if we’re going to contend we need to add as many high ceiling arms to the system and hope a few of them develop. I still think we need to have a balance of HS/college arms, so I like the fact we got Schmarzo, and I’d really like to see us get Robinson as well.

I’ve heard the odds of signing 50th rounder Philip Walby are getting better and better…

1. qbsillest1
        qbsillest1 August 16, 2010 at 10:55 am |

Walby is another good one to add to the mix. Good FB that touches 93 with command of the pitch is all I really know about him, but its a good starting place for a HS pitcher…..

5. S.Hogan
    S.Hogan August 16, 2010 at 3:11 pm |

According to Urban (via Melewski’s blog) it seems like something will get done tonight. Paraphrasing here, but he said he likes a lot of the young players they have and that he wants to join the organization and start his pro career.

Now we’ll just have to wait and see, but it seems very promising. Let’s cross our fingers and hope for some good news about Robinson.

1. qbsillest1
      qbsillest1 August 16, 2010 at 3:52 pm |

Robinson to me sounds like Guthrie. Good FB, good command, solid average secondaries. The big question for me is how much projection is left in his secondaries? Has anyone heard anything at all about him?

I am also curious, what is the big deal about Gonzalez? His ceiling seems so limited, no projection, HS pick, good command. WHat is his upside, something like Bywater? I don’t exactly understand why take a pick like him in the 11th round…

Don August 16, 2010 at 4:26 pm |

I am not high on Robinson at all and I hope that he prices himself out of the Orioles. He is a torn labrum or TJS waiting to happen and throws similar to Burnett, Prior, etc… and it is easily going to be a trouble arm at some point.. You just have to prey that he is John Smoltz and can throw in this manner without an issue.

1. Tim
          Tim August 16, 2010 at 5:14 pm |

No arm issues best motion out there compare to Maddox and you will see. Never any health issues.

Jordan August 16, 2010 at 4:59 pm |

Alex Gonzalez? He sits in the high 80′s with his fastball and his CB and CH are already above-average…seems like he has a high upside to me.

Jordan August 16, 2010 at 4:57 pm |

I’ve been hearing the same thing…looks like Austin is ready to play pro ball and the Orioles have been impressed.

6. Justin Bader
    Justin Bader August 16, 2010 at 7:03 pm |

Jordan (or anyone), who do you guys feel is a must sign (beyond Machado)?

Jordan August 16, 2010 at 7:36 pm |

Urban isn’t a “must” sign but he would be a nice addition to our system. I don’t think anyone beyond Machado is a “must sign”, at this point.

2. S.Hogan
      S.Hogan August 16, 2010 at 7:39 pm |

I’m not sure there are any must signs outside of Machado, but it’d be nice to see Urban and Robinson brought on board. Both guys were said to have the talent to be selected in the 4th-8th round area, so it would certainly be nice to add more talent to our system.

1. S.Hogan
        S.Hogan August 16, 2010 at 7:44 pm |

Wow didn’t see Jordan post right before me but it looks like we were sharing the same thoughts haha.

7. PapaRick
    PapaRick August 16, 2010 at 7:31 pm |

Tony at Orioles Hangout is reporting that Bywater signed.

Jordan August 16, 2010 at 7:36 pm |

Thanks for the heads up!

Don August 16, 2010 at 11:37 pm |

Unless it is one minute left, Manny is being Manny and going to junior college. He wants 6.5 million and with Tallion signing for 5 million, I see it as too big of a difference with the window down to 30 minutes.

9. ADLC
    ADLC August 17, 2010 at 12:06 am |

Its done. Hearing 5.8M

Don August 17, 2010 at 12:20 am |

It is ear marked in the upper 5.7 million and the sticking point was not the money. It was a major league contract that allowed his arbitration clock to start right away.

When will Scott Boras and other agents learn that most 18 year olds get rushed through the system when doing these types of deals whether they are ready or not. The Orioles went down that territory with Adam Loewen and we see how well that worked out for his career.