1. qbsillest1
    qbsillest1 August 12, 2010 at 8:05 pm |

I’d love to get 3 of the 4 mentioned overslotters listed first. I wish we could grab all 4 of them. If we do sign 3 of those 4, I’d have to consider this one of our best as a whole. In 07, it was great that we signed Wieters and Arrieta, but after those 2 we didn’t get much else as far as additional overslotters. In 08, Matusz was a great pick, and I was happy with Bundy, Beal and Drake, and last year we took a ton of overslotters, but not one big premium guy. This year, if we sign some of those above mentuioned guys along with Machado, we will get our premium guy along with a bunch of high ceiling overslotters…..Definitely like where things are headed here……Not a bunch of the “sexy” names, but you’d still have to consider this draft one of the better ones in the league IMO….

Jordan August 12, 2010 at 11:43 pm |

I agree, Dan Klein is a big name, but he’s a relatively safe college pick but has a high ceiling at the same time. Last year we took a lot of risks and went after injured players, this year it’s a little more spread out.

It’s obvious they are trying different things from year-to-year. Should be interesting looking back on this in a few years to see how things turned out.

2. slob
    slob August 12, 2010 at 10:08 pm |

message to bywater: your career is NOW! Take it!

3. qbsillest1
    qbsillest1 August 13, 2010 at 10:36 am |

Yeah, I don’t get Bywater at all. Anderson was a draft eligible sophomore if I remember correctly, so I can see him having the leverage and us not wanting to pay so much for a guy who even in college who’s production hasn’t matched the potential…

Don August 13, 2010 at 11:15 am |

It is just me, but Bywater is just another arm that you can get year in and year out from any rank. While it would be nice to get him in the fold, I just think he is not worth the effort for 500k or above.

Anderson is a bit different. He could work on his mechanics and pick up a mile or two as well. I see him strictly as a late inning guy and much more projectable and could fill out to a 96-97 mph right hander out of the pen. Scrap the curve and splitter the day he signs. Teach him a cutter, slider, and 2-seam. His height and bulldog demenor require hard stuff and none of this finese BS. He is a guy that I would throw early round dollars towards.

Jordan August 13, 2010 at 11:26 pm |

While I agree with you that these arms are easy to find, it’s not worth losing 1 year of developmental time and wasting the pick.

Don August 14, 2010 at 9:52 am |

I just do not think he is worth anything above mid-round slot. He would not be banging on any doors for 100 top player type of money next year as well.

5. qbsillest1
    qbsillest1 August 13, 2010 at 12:58 pm |

I agree 100% with your entire post. Bywater is just not worth much more than slot to me. Anderson is a guy I’d much rather sign between the 2. He has much more potential and has the better raw stuff. I got a bit deeper into my opinion on the situation in the forums, but me and you are along the same lines of thinking on this situation…..

I’m not big on spending money on a finesse guy like Bywater who has a very limited ceiling when we don’t have enough money to sign some of the other high ceiling arms later on in the draft like Urban, Robinson, Wise etc….