1. SK
    SK August 1, 2010 at 9:45 pm |

Is Noel a real prospect? Or is he just having a good year? He’s a little old for Delmarva, and even Frederick.

Jordan August 1, 2010 at 9:52 pm |

He’s legit. He’s only 22, which is slightly below the league average for the Carolina League.

2. SK
    SK August 1, 2010 at 10:11 pm |

Do you have any details? His pitch repertoire, scouting report? Checking the news & stats, it appears he had visa issues last year, which explains why he was in the Dominican. Also, his K numbers have really jumped this year and his BBs are down a bit – any idea why?

I guess what I’m really saying is, I’d love to see a full article about him.

Jordan August 1, 2010 at 10:33 pm |

He locates his 88-91 mph fastball very well, touching 93. Throws from high 3/4 arm angle so his fastball has little movement, and he’ll be a fly ball pitcher. The added K’s are certainly nice to see, but I’m not sure they’re for real. His secondary pitches are a curveball and changeup, and he works with the CH more.

His stuff didn’t stand out to me, and his BABIP this year has actually been pretty high, which could mean the stats aren’t a fluke. If I have time to go out to Frederick this year, I’ll take a look at him and get a full article up.

Don August 1, 2010 at 10:12 pm |

Single A is equivalent to College ball, so 22 is right on the border. If he tears the level a new one at this stage, he is greater than a legit prospect. He is a guy that will see the majors in one way, shape, or another.

I find suspect when guys in A or A+ are 24 or 25 and tearing the cover off the ball or throwing lights out. I would want to see those numbers replicated at higher levels before I were drinking the orange kool aid.

Jordan August 1, 2010 at 10:36 pm |

22 is right on par at A+, 23 would not be old for AA, and 24 isn’t considered old for AAA. He has the chance to become a #4/5 starter, but we’ll get a better indication next year.

4. Tim
    Tim August 2, 2010 at 4:55 am |

And let us not forget that Noel lost an entire season last year over visa issues. He’s done a nice job making up lost time this season to get himelf to the level he should be sitting at age wise.

Jordan August 2, 2010 at 1:59 pm |

Exactly. Did you get a chance to see him in Delmarva before his promotion?