1. Greg Embert
    Greg Embert July 20, 2010 at 5:17 pm |

As your post so vividly pointed out, the Orioles always say they will not rush their pitching prospects, but all too often, that’s exactly what happens. Each player is different, some can handle an early promotion, while others struggle and lose confidence. The worse thing I think they can do is put a player on the AAA shuttle, bouncing them between the minors and majors, like they’ve done with Bergesen and Tillman. If you’re going to call them up, give them a reasonable amount of time to get acclimated to MLB, and if you’re going to send them back down, let them stay there until you are sure they are ready for the big leagues.

Jordan July 20, 2010 at 5:33 pm |

And a few minutes after you write this post, they send Tillman back down to Norfolk. The 4th time this season? Couldn’t agree more with this:

1. theorioleway
        theorioleway July 20, 2010 at 5:52 pm |

Aaaargh – why? Because he had one bad inning. Unbelievable.

2. theorioleway
    theorioleway July 20, 2010 at 5:51 pm |

I got into a discussion with Crawdaddy from Camden Depot a few weeks ago about Orioles pitching development. He made the case that Mike Flanagan put in place a much better development program over the course of a few years beginning in about 2004 and 2005. Obviously, some of those earlier guys came up under a different development plan (but some still with Flanagan in the front office). I’m willing to give the O’s a pass on Tillman, Matusz, and Bergesen in terms of rushing them now, but I don’t think they’ve handled their 2010s exceptionally well (except Matusz). I see zero benefit in bringing Britton up this season; he should definitely be in Norfolk for the remainder of the year, by which point he is highly likely to reach his innings limit for the season.

Jordan July 21, 2010 at 12:41 am |

Agreed. I don’t see how bumping Tillman & Bergesen up then down could do anything but hurt them, yet the Orioles fail to understand that.

3. qbsillest1
    qbsillest1 July 20, 2010 at 6:11 pm |

Ya know, I admit, I was of the guys who was for a promotion for Britton, but what you say is probably right, I mean, even Arrieta who spent a good amount of time between AA and AAA looks more ready than Tillman did. His bulldog mentality actually makes him appear more like a ML pitcher to me than even Matusz. Matusz at times.

\What I disagree with is Tillman, he wasn’t rushed through AA or AAA, I think he was rushed through the M’s system while in the low minors, thus making him about a year and a half ahead of where he should be. In other words, he’d still be in AAA right now about to make his ML debut. He was just ahead of where he should be.

Jordan July 21, 2010 at 12:44 am |

Yeah, Arrieta has backed up the idea that time in the high minors is necessary. I’m going to have to disagree with you on Tillman. I don’t think it matters how they got there or when, but it’s more what you learn when you are there. Regardless of how fast Tillman reached Triple-A, the time there is necessary. Let me go back and find a quote from Sickels.

Jordan July 21, 2010 at 12:45 am |

Here we go:

MOST prospects need a full year at Double-A and a full year at Triple-A. The two levels teach different things. A team that skips levels consistently is just asking for trouble.

Jordan July 21, 2010 at 12:47 am |

And…to expand….

The statement Sickels made is exactly what the Orioles have done in the past, and they have consistently run into trouble.

4. Doug in DE
    Doug in DE July 21, 2010 at 3:42 am |

I couldnt agree more with keeping Britton down. I think you can add Loewen to the list in the first paragraph. I think that stupid Major League deal caused him to be rushed. I do think we may give Matusz a little more credit then he’s earned. He’s looked more suspect then solid to me this year. I actually think he could benefit from finishing this year in AAA and getting his groove back but I know we have a lack of replacements and that is not going to happen. He is far from a proven commidity tho

Jordan July 21, 2010 at 12:48 pm |

Yeah, but Loewen left and didn’t turn out because of injury, so I kept him off the list. If you look at some of Matusz’s advanced stats, he has been the O’s best starter this season.

Don July 21, 2010 at 3:00 pm |

There are so many combinations for rushing prospects through a system and many are outside of team control. Players have to either want to stay with the orgnaization or the team has to find free agents to fill voids. Any holes have to be plug with either re-treads or prospects.

Players have to stay healthy. Before the season started, the team was set to showcase only three rookies and Brian Roberts, Gonzo, etc… all go down with injury. It forces the team to play with second or third options in alot of places this season.

Each player is different. Some can clearly handle the aspect of losing 15-20 games in thier first season and other cannot at that young stage. Some see the spotlight and run. Pitching is almost 100% mental anything higher than AA ball. In fact, baseball is almost 100% mental for anyhing higher than AA. Most guys swing, throw and run at AA, AAA, MLB with the same results. You see older prospects where the light goes on in an instant. See George Sherill, Melvin Mora, Jayson Werth.

I tend to think the Orioles have enough talented pitchers in between Zac Brittion to Brian Matusz. They can ride out Zac Britton this year, maybe the AFL and have him get a taste next season. If this team were anything remotely in the organizational tank during the days of Matt Reily as the Orioles top prosepct, you would have seen the Zac Britton’s of the world up months ago.